I need something new

I'm God-awefully tired of PvE... So much so I'm going to *gulp* start PvP. This is no insult to PvPers I just never got used to it and know I will be horrid with it for the first million times I die.

So now come the thinkings. What should I go? I don't really like being a melee for PvP, both my Warrior and Paladins get trained everywhere and seem to be limp wristed when it comes to killing people, so I want a Ranged class. Any recommendations? Please not "DO THIS!" I'm looking more for some help as tot their strengths and weaknesses. Warlock is out and I hate the style and Frost Mages are pretty meh to me. Either a Shaman or Hunter me thinks.

Oh and I want to move back to Alliance after learning to hate the people who play horde. Most seem to be a bunch of dicks. So a recommended race combo would be nice.

Cheers =)
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Find a high rated player that plays the same class as you, look at his gear and talent choices, do research on sites like Arena Junkies, and on the PvP champ forums.

I can't give a more specific answer because I don't play either class, sorry :|
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

Oh and I forgot to add if anyone put down a server. I'm pretty keen to start anew
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    Oh and I forgot to add if anyone put down a server. I'm pretty keen to start anew
    Alliance on Shadowmoon US is pretty solid for PVP. We have a number of 2200+ only guilds, but I'm sure many servers can make the same claims. PvP has become more accessible since the changes to the Conquest cap, and a lot of PvP focused guilds are sprouting up on all servers.
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

*bump
    I know I'll be infracted just want an answer soon

Elemental Shaman seem to be trending in a good direction right now, they have decent burst and they can cast lightning bolt on the move which helps quite a bit... also nuking people off cliffs with thunder storm is pretty fun... they still need a defensive cooldown and take a bit of learning as you're somewhat squishy... but shaman are a lot of fun... especially if you're not targeted for a bit and can unleash some big hits

oh and as far as races go for alliance shaman... I'd go dwarf... mostly because they have stoneform as a defensive cooldown... its not much, but it can help with rogues and feral druids a bit :P
    Last edited by renegade801; 2011-08-03 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade801 View Post
    Elemental Shaman seem to be trending in a good direction right now, they have decent burst and they can cast lightning bolt on the move which helps quite a bit... also nuking people off cliffs with thunder storm is pretty fun... they still need a defensive cooldown and take a bit of learning as you're somewhat squishy... but shaman are a lot of fun... especially if you're not targeted for a bit and can unleash some big hits

oh and as far as races go for alliance shaman... I'd go dwarf... mostly because they have stoneform as a defensive cooldown... its not much, but it can help with rogues and feral druids a bit :P
    Dont, squishy and no interrupt defence.
    Go DK, rogue or mage for dps and shaman/priest for healers, all those are fun (well not dk) and always perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    Dont, squishy and no interrupt defence.
    Go DK, rogue or mage for dps and shaman/priest for healers, all those are fun (well not dk) and always perform well.
    Didn't read OP? OP said that they didn't want to play melee in PvP... and didn't like mages... also said they were leaning towards hunter or shaman...

I'm told hunters aren't very good in PVP right now. I'm also told resto is the "only viable" PVP class for shaman.

With that said, if both of those are true, you can probably flip a coin and pick whichever one you want and have some fun with it. Likely they will be buffed in the future to compensate.

If I were you personally, I'd probably pick the Shaman, just because you can have resto as an offspec, and if you don't like how things go as Elemental or Enhancement, you can switch to resto and EASILY find teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you really love the classes, don't pick a Hunter, and if you want to play a Shaman you're backed into a corner and forced to play Restoration. Elemental just gets destroyed, and Enhancement has a lot of hard counters.

Hunters are just generally a weak class at the moment, as well as them being a support class. You'll find they're better in Rated Battlegrounds, and Arena is just better off left to the skilled players (unless you're willing to go all the way.)

I play Enhancement at the moment, it's a fun spec but outside your 30 second burst period you're useless compared to other melee who can Hand of Freedom, Cyclone and just generally perform better in any situation.

Elemental can be quite strong but due to it being so easy to kill, you need a lot of peels.

Restoration is pretty overpowered at the moment and it is quite fun, I don't see anything wrong with it at the moment apart from the lack of survival cooldowns compared to a Paladin or Priest.

All completely your choice, but I saw Hunter and Shaman and thought I'd just inform you so you don't end up getting to 85 and not liking them.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ~ Albert Einstein

Arktosa, I agree except that the other day I actually had a good fight with a Elemental shaman the kited the ever-loving **** out of me. Feral druid. He just kept throwing earthbind, frost shock, ghost wolf away, etc etc. Then just ran and threw lightning bolts. I'm full vicious with about 3 ruthless, and nearly died if it weren't for a healer who helped me a little.

Elemental can kite melee like it's their job...

been a hunter for 4 years, now im a mage...way better to be honest but its a personnal choice

I started a hunter but find leveling to be meh but then again everything is pretty meh to me right now.
    I'm really bad at PvP and maybe a relatively simple to learn but hard to master class would be better off. Oh and sorry if anyone can recomend a Alliance EU server known to be PvP heavy

If you want to be really skilled pick frost mage. That's about the most skilled thing you can do in WoW. You will be oozing skill. Blood elf females will want to touch you.

You should reconsider playing a mage if ranged's your style, they're such champs
    As an Elemental Shaman you'll just be trained all year like previously mentioned
    As for servers, I believe Outland and Auchindoun are considered good for alliance pvp?

Ele's fun. Some crazy burst, but you'll get trained a lot. If you're just doing BGs/duels it shouldn't be an issue. If you're doing arenas you'll need a team that can help peel for you.

Deleted
    I'm God-awefully tired of PvE... So much so I'm going to *gulp* start PvP. This is no insult to PvPers I just never got used to it and know I will be horrid with it for the first million times I die.

So now come the thinkings. What should I go? I don't really like being a melee for PvP, both my Warrior and Paladins get trained everywhere and seem to be limp wristed when it comes to killing people, so I want a Ranged class. Any recommendations? Please not "DO THIS!" I'm looking more for some help as tot their strengths and weaknesses. Warlock is out and I hate the style and Frost Mages are pretty meh to me. Either a Shaman or Hunter me thinks.

Oh and I want to move back to Alliance after learning to hate the people who play horde. Most seem to be a bunch of dicks. So a recommended race combo would be nice.

Cheers =)
    Gnomepriest ftw, both shadow and disco =) (pink ponytails is a must)

Hoomen > all races.

Cheers =)
    First of all, the grass is not greener whatsoever. Alliance is not better at all from Horde.

Ranged Classes:

Boomkin - Not a threat at all, difficult to play competitively, they have horrid damage output and they are very easy to lock out. If you're playing a druid, you play feral.

Hunter - Higher skill cap, you won't see reward until you learn to play well. Once you've figured your shit out, it's hard to lose. Lots of CC lots of burst available. Great in 3s and 2s and RBGs.

Shaman - Not a bad choice, takes some getting used to but with the recent buff they are viable. They have a decent amount of control available (Hex, Shears, Groundings) They're beasts in RBGs, you'll most likely find yourself getting targeted often because no one will want you freecasting.

Mage - Out on request, easiest class to pvp with
    Warlock - Out on request, although I would say starting out this would be your best bet

Hope it helps!

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

Be careful with these types of threads. You might offend the mods that play with mylittleponys.