Thread: Random Arena

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Oh those are some good points there. Well most of them, I forgot to put them in the OP

Gut the other areas of PvP of participants
    2vs2 leet rewards were removed in Wrath. Did 2vs2 get gutted? I beg to differ, I see loads of 2vs2 teams, even if they don't grant the leet rewards. Not that many teams indeed, and maybe a reason they keep rolling is because they're easier to form.
    There are still plenty that have working 3vs3's, they still grant leet rewards, they will still be attractive to those with social skills. Not everybody will like Random Arena, 3vs3 is not going to die.

Induce lots of whining about welfare epics
    False. Like 8, or more wins, pugging some rated BG's and you're done with arena for the week and it all looks easy... They look easy to get, but take time. There is a weekly cap, you won't be full Ruthless in the first week. And with random Arena they would also take a long time to grind. You may get the axe from Shannox in the first week however if lucky. Time vs Luck.

Devalue world PvP farther
    So long people do their dailies, there will be world PvP, people will still go to TB to get Baradin, and whatever stuff may come up in the future.

Exaggerate feelings of the lack of a community
    Perhaps some people don't like... 'community' concept. I know quite a few. Those who are in their communities will still keep touch and stay in their communities, but since Wrath, I haven't seen communities grow. People tend to keep more to themselves nowadays, and I don't speak for myself there.

And force a reworking of titles because some battlegroups wouldn't have the 200 teams needed to get their first Gladiator, assuming the system works like that.
    That's true, it'll be horribly broken. I'm thinking more and more that it should simply be as rewarding as 2vs2. You'd grind your cap, epics would be as welfare as if grinded in normal arena. I frankly can't find any way to make sure the ratings will earned fairly, and I'm believing it shouldn't be rated.

remember that BGs had a nice flavor for a lot of people because everyone involved was from the same server... granted, I by no means WANT 6 hour BG Qs back, but I'm just making a point.
    On the last days there wasn't much flavor, or if there was flavor, it was bitter.

"Battlegroup x has the bad Alliance, Horde wins all the time. Battlegroup y, that with the long horde queues. Battlegroup z, where the Horde lets them win all the time." and so on. I surely don't miss those flavors, if you know what I mean.

But as I said above there are some communities, and they will still keep to themselves and survive, given they survived all those things in the past expansion.

All in all, those communities started from necessity die out, those that are from friendship survive everything.
    Last edited by mmoc3b65426e43; 2011-08-05 at 11:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
    Oh those are some good points there. Well most of them, I forgot to put them in the OP

2vs2 leet rewards were removed in Wrath. Did 2vs2 get gutted? I beg to differ, I see loads of 2vs2 teams, even if they don't grant the leet rewards. Not that many teams indeed, and maybe a reason they keep rolling is because they're easier to form.
    And they removed the 1337 rewards with Cata. The only thing rating allows you to get is a slightly better weapon.
    There are still plenty that have working 3vs3's, they still grant leet rewards, they will still be attractive to those with social skills. Not everybody will like Random Arena, 3vs3 is not going to die.
    Getting 3 people together isn't particularly hard. But lets keep in mind the commonly held conception that if you're not 2200+, which is to say roughly the top 20%, you're bad at PvP. There's more than a few people that think you're bad if you aren't a gladiator (.5%).

If somewhere between 80% and 99.5% of the player base is bad, what makes you think they'd hang around and not just solo for points? Free rider dilemma, and solo queuing is clearly the least amount of effort.
    False. Like 8, or more wins, pugging some rated BG's and you're done with arena for the week and it all looks easy... They look easy to get, but take time. There is a weekly cap, you won't be full Ruthless in the first week. And with random Arena they would also take a long time to grind. You may get the axe from Shannox in the first week however if lucky. Time vs Luck.
    Winning 50% of random 2v2 matches to cap takes less time than 50% of RBGs to cap, even though you get a bit more from RBGs. Not even mentioning how unstable an RBG pug is when it comes to losing and still staying together.
    So long people do their dailies, there will be world PvP, people will still go to TB to get Baradin, and whatever stuff may come up in the future.
    People don't tend to do things that reward them with inferior rewards. The current season PvP rewards are defacto competitive with current tier raiding rewards, so people aren't going to do dailies en masse to get worse rewards than their 20 games a week or whatever (50% W:L)
    Perhaps some people don't like... 'community' concept. I know quite a few. Those who are in their communities will still keep touch and stay in their communities, but since Wrath, I haven't seen communities grow. People tend to keep more to themselves nowadays, and I don't speak for myself there.
    Except you do speak for yourself, and your anecdotal, fallacious evidence. You also ignore that one of the reasons often cited for the lack of community is the ease of solo end game content. Giving the second highest ilvl armor in a tier to solo-ers isn't going to increase pug RBGs or arena teams. It would probably even erode some of the raiding player base given how easy it would be to get gear that's only beat by heroic gear.
    That's true, it'll be horribly broken. I'm thinking more and more that it should simply be as rewarding as 2vs2. You'd grind your cap, epics would be as welfare as if grinded in normal arena. I frankly can't find any way to make sure the ratings will earned fairly, and I'm believing it shouldn't be rated.
    You really don't get the implications of solo end game gear here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE