Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

New Spiderman, I honestly think it's gone too far now!

Before i get misread, qouted out of context and flamed for no apperrent reason, i just want to say. I'm all for equality and multicutural acceptance.

/vent on
    They made Spiderman into a half hespanic half black kid. Their reason? They need to show the world they are multicultural.

I'm sorry? caucasian people don't have any cultures now? Spiderman was my very favorite comic growing up, now peter parker has to die, and a new latino/black kid has to take over, so that the minorities can see them selves in spiderman. What about the white kids?

To me it seems that everyday every company, country and person is afraid of being white, it might offend someone from another background.

Seriously what has the world come to, when we need to make sure that black and latinos are represented in a comic that is mainly produced for kids especially considdering that spiderman already had a black good friend and the characters were made like they were made nothing you can really do about it, except ofcourse killing off the main character..

Why does a COMIC COMPANY have to kill off it's main character and create a new one with a different skin color. If people like the comic it's not because of how peter parker looks. It's ridicolous.

This is about more than just a comic, this is just the straw that broke the camels back. All the people that still scream "Black people don't have equal rights" or "Racism" because you got caught shop lifting or what ever. Stop it. Caucasions are a "race" too. You don't see a white person screaming racism when he or she gets caught shoplifting. You ruin good things with your bullshit, because you make politicians nervous.

/vent off

Mod Warning: Since this thread has gone a bit out of hand, I'm gonna be a little bit more strict (and I post this while there are already like 11 pages) ---> The point of the thread:
    I don't care that he is brown yellow blue black white pink or red. I care that they changed him because of political correctness.

Yes political correctness is the thing thats gone too far, atleast some are able to see what i meant.
    I want:
    * No racism
    * No trolling
    * No flaming
    * No politics (Don't take this one too strict, constructive, on-topic politics CAN be okay.

Also, please report posts.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-05 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah got to admit, this seems really really stupid.
    Not the OP, the changing of Spiderman.

I think the same thing when I see all these billboards in Spanish ;_;

15+ Year Old Account
    That's not the reason I'm probably not paying to see the new Spidey movie. Overall it just looks bad.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. If comic companies want to appeal to a broader customer base... well... I don't read Spider-man, sorry not really caring.

Although I'm a (tiny bit) insulted by all this. "Oh look, we care about you minorities, here's a superhero for you"
    "Oh yay! Happy little deer!
    Now they can grow up and have ADVENTURES.
    You're swell. "

- Mylune
    (aww... she said I'm swell <3 )

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, while I do find taking a super hero and completely changing the entire concept to be an un-wanted change, isn't Peter Parker supposed to be dead now? I'm kinda torn between liking the idea, and disliking it simply because its outside of the norm (Peter being spidey, not a black/hispanic guy being a super hero!)
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

lols, i think they just went about it in a terrible way.
    im puerto rican, i grew up reading comic books. kids don't care if the superhero is black white green yellow or purple they just want to read about superheros
    in any case they could have made a completely new hero in the spiderman "universe" that could have been latino or black that just teams up with the spidey or something. it is pretty stupid that they killed him off (if they did, i havent even seen this i dont read many comic books now a day)

Deleted
    They should make a character called Minority Man. -I wrote this part of the post, realised it was REALLY REALLY racist and then decided it shouldn't ever see the semi-light of the internet, but still didn't have the heart to get rid of the Minority Man bit-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    They should make a character called Minority Man. -I wrote this part of the post, realised it was REALLY REALLY racist and then decided it shouldn't ever see the semi-light of the internet, but still didn't have the heart to get rid of the Minority Man bit-
    His power: always being part of a minority?

So all he has to do is walk to the enemy's base and call for a nuclear strike. Since the majority would die...
    "Oh yay! Happy little deer!
    Now they can grow up and have ADVENTURES.
    You're swell. "

- Mylune
    (aww... she said I'm swell <3 )

I don't care that he's black. I'm just fucking heartbroken Parker is dead.

To me it seems that everyday every company, country and person is afraid of being white, it might offend someone from another background.
    I don't know one person who wished Spiderman to be anyone but Peter Parker. But the most popular spidey wasn't 2099 or anything. It was the poor, white kid who was a nerd. Let the new spidey settle in before making any judgements. I don't know if anyone can match spidey's sarcasm and awesomeness tho...
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2011-08-04 at 11:36 PM.

Deleted
    Ok, wait, what? that actualy affects people? the skin colour of the super hero rather than the suit and the deeds of the hero? what next? Thor, which is a Nordic mythological fellah becoming an Asian?

Do most people even care?

TBH it's just the few screaming bloody murder getting what they want, or some butthurt employee overreacting, you can't honestly tell me there is anyone that actualy likes super heroes that is affected by the skin colour of the person underneath the suit. Besides wasn't spiderman already about more than meets the eye? considering Peter being a nerd/geek/impopulair and yet he's a hero?

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you got a couple of items wrong. First off it's Ultimate Spider-man, not 616 or the original Spider-man. This has nothing to do with the true continuity of Spider-man. In Ultimate when you die, you stay dead unlike the 616 universe. I do agree however this is way out in left field. Spider-man being my favorite superhero, I'm not understanding why they did this. I understand they want to add more minorities to the comic world, but this isn't the way to do it. There are tons of minority heroes; Storm, Luke Cage, The Falcon, Cyborg, Black Panther, Patriot, etc...

They need to create new minority characters and not simply replace other heroes with minorities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, everyone take a breath. The Peter Parker that has died and was replace by Miles Morales(new kid) is ONLY... I repeat ONLY in the Ultimate Universe. You know about the Ultimate Universe right? You know the one that has literally killed all of your favorite heroes at one point or another? Regular normal verse Peter Parker/Spiderman is alive and doing well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    His power: always being part of a minority?

So all he has to do is walk to the enemy's base and call for a nuclear strike. Since the majority would die...
    Something like that. I thought he could just force the majority to take the minority's culture and make it more important than the majority's, even though there's more of the majority, hence why they're called the majority. Would be a kind of sucky super power though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah got to admit, this seems really really stupid.
    Not the OP, the changing of Spiderman.
    After they inserted a Black man (and I think an Asian too) into what is possibly the whitest mythology ever - the Norse myths - for the Thor movie, nothing is going to surprise me anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuro View Post
    After they inserted a Black man (and I think an Asian too) into what is possibly the whitest mythology ever - the Norse myths - for the Thor movie, nothing is going to surprise me anymore.
    To be honest that's fair enough with the movie industries policy of 'colourblind casting'. But like; if ANYTHING, change Spiderman from white -> a minority is sort of racist to white people. Imagine the kind of outrage they'd be from EVERYONE if a Black superhero was made white. (DONT MENTION GREEN LANTERN :P)

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine the kind of outrage they'd be from EVERYONE if a Black superhero was made white. (DONT MENTION GREEN LANTERN :P)
    Green Lantern is a different story - there are actually a couple of guys using that name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuro View Post
    Green Lantern is a different story - there are actually a couple of guys using that name.
    I just got finished reading the 4 part Batman series:The Dark Knight Returns. green Lantern was missing an arm, and shot superman with krytonite arrow. twas' epic.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

It's an issue that's been bugging me lately as well. You can't force people to accept multi-culturalism. There are far too many issues to think that a few representations of minorities will change anything.
    Sell the Vatican, Feed the World

Wouldn't it have been easier to make a new comic where the hero just happens to be Hispanic? And have him not be Taco Man or Burrito Man or something stupid like that.