Deleted

Pandaren vs. Naga?

Greetings, travelers!

First off I would like to say that this thread isn't about whether "Mists of Pandaria" is going to be the next expansion or not, but about what the possibilities are of my speculations being true.

Great, then let's get started. As we all know, China and Japan hate eachother, and as most people should know by now, the Pandaren are based on the chinese, since China likes pandas and raged at Blizzard when they made the pandaren Japanese in WC3. At least that's what I think happened, I didn't play WC3 at that time.

Here's the part where it all adds up; the Naga are basically mutated night elves, and as you can see in this picture, the night elves have very asian looking architecture, just like the naga. (Plus, Näga are serpent-like people from Hindu and Buddhist mythology)

So, do you guys think that it's possible that Blizzard will make naga more Japanese, so they're gonna have a war with the pandaren, and possibly the pandaren joining the alliance since some of them have been friendly with the night elves before?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i doubt blizz would set a story line based on some asian disagreement in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    No, i doubt blizz would set a story line based on some asian disagreement in the real world.
    Yeah, it seems like it would be in poor taste.

Do I think if Pandaren are featured in the next xpac the Naga and Azshara will be the new main antagonists? Yes
    Do I think they're going to suddenly theme them asian for it? No

I've never really seen the night elves or the naga as a Japanese-influenced race... Their culture can seem like almost the opposite at times, although I am no expert on the Japanese culture. Also, in the picture you linked, am I alone in thinking that the architecture looks more similar to the style of the old Norse than the Japanese?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsc92 View Post
    Do I think if Pandaren are featured in the next xpac the Naga and Azshara will be the new main antagonists? Yes
    Do I think they're going to suddenly theme them asian for it? No
    Quoting wikipedia:
    Nāga, a group of serpent deities in Hindu and Buddhist mythology.
    they're already based on Hindu/Buddhist mythology, which is the most common religions in Asia, I believe.
    Last edited by mmoc1c102f2115; 2011-08-07 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anathama View Post
    I never really seen the night elves or the naga as a Japanese-influenced race... Their culture can seem like almost the opposite at times, although I am no expert on the Japanese culture. Also, in the picture you linked, am I alone in thinking that the architecture looks more similar to the style of the old Norse than the Japanese?
    The Night Elves have Torii alllll over the place. These things:

Plus, their roofing especially is reminiscent of Japanese architecture. That huge building at the entrance to Darnassus? Very Japanese.

I dont take this game that serious. Those are pixels anyway and really dont think it would matter making Pandas looking chineese, japaneese, korean or vietnameese.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazaroz View Post
    and possibly the pandaren joining the alliance since some of them have been friendly with the night elves before?
    and the Horde would get?

And no it's very unlikely they'll settle with a conflict between the Japanese and the Chinese as storyline, honestly the wars these 2 nations fought are more horrific then what people know of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naga is a hindi creation, thats India, not japan.

P.S. Thanks Sausages, I change it cause your right, it's hindi not hindu
    Last edited by Lazerbrain; 2011-08-07 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garekh View Post
    The Night Elves have Torii alllll over the place. These things:

Plus, their roofing especially is reminiscent of Japanese architecture. That huge building at the entrance to Darnassus? Very Japanese.
    Ya, I had a second paragraph in my post where I brought up those, but accidentally deleted it and didn't want to re-type. But, ya, the night elf structures that look like that are definitely influenced by the Japanese, but their architecture is influenced by several real cultures (Romanesque, Scandinavian, and even a bit of Gothic, to name a few) and those are only a part of it.

But, aside from the architecture, is there any noticeable influence from Japanese culture in the night elf culture? Like I said, I don't know much about the culture/history of Japan, but I know that the religion of the night elves is very similar to modern Wiccan (the reverence of an omnibenevolent moon goddess) and doesn't seem to take much from anything I know to be Japanese.

My point is that the OP says the naga/night elves are based on the Japanese, even though in my view, they have very little in common (the only thing I see is a portion of their architecture being Japanese-influenced).
    Last edited by anathama; 2011-08-07 at 09:20 AM.

Deleted
    Naga are Hindi. Both their names, and their architecture. When you look at it, their temples are very similar to Hindi temples and such.
    Night Elves are Japanese (or simply Asian), look at their funky gardens and roofs and decorations. There are also some special somethings (the World Trees are Norse) but the general idea seems mainly Asian.

Neither the Horde or Alliance would get Pandas. They distrust the Alliance politics and feel like the Horde is still trying to find its place in Azeroth, they side with neither, i cant see them as a hero class or race but maybe making an appearance much like the tuskarr in wrath. From what ive read about them, which theres very little, there island isnt that big and i cant see it being anything bigger then tb both islands. Im expecting this mists of Pandaria to be something else and not an expansion. South seas would be a better expansion to release the pandas in along with more islands.

WTB 3rd faction...

Would make for interesting politics... also for interesting BG's - visualise an EoTS style map without resource nodes... just grab a centrally located flag and bring it back to your faction HQ... in a 3 way free for all.

Sausages & Lazerbrain:

Actually you got it right the first time round. Its Hindu not Hindi. Hindu is the religion. Hindi is the language. \m/

Cheers!