Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

D3 RL-Money Auctionhouse possibly also coming to SC2?

stumbled across this:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/314167/diablo-3-like-trading-may-arrive-in-starcraft-2/

Strangely somewhat precise corelation to

Bnet 2 MapMarket

I wouldnt mind supporting the developers of great maps, like DotA back in the days, or footy, or even crazy stuff like the upcoming "World of Starcraft" ^^
    so i think it wouldnt be too bad.
    and it was forseeable that activision would try to get a slice of that tasty cake

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashydan View Post
    stumbled across this:

I wouldnt mind supporting the developers of great maps, like DotA back in the days, or footy, or even crazy stuff like the upcoming "World of Starcraft" ^^
    so i think it wouldnt be too bad.
    and it was forseeable that activision would try to get a slice of that tasty cake
    I'm pretty sure that releasing a map market for SC2 was always Blizzards plan and they actually said it directly a few times before they've launched the game. But you'd only have to buy "outstanding" maps, everything else would remain free

I remember hearing about this once before. Sounds like a neat idea to encourage map design if you ask me. If they release it. And it follows the chart than we may see the next Wow exp. soon!

Deleted
    So now we have to buy blizzard dota ? what a joke!

It has been known for some time. Yes, map authors will be able to charge (and a freedom not to) for their maps.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    So now we have to buy blizzard dota ? what a joke!
    I dont think it works like that. Think a more complex version of the D3 thing. Insted of items its maps.
    (As far as cuts, I doubt they'll be there because the maps are user created not ingame items.) but i dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zox View Post
    It has been known for some time. Yes, map authors will be able to charge (and a freedom not to) for their maps.
    Then couldn't someone just copy that map and release it for free? I don't know how the system would work, but it seems it could easily fail.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Then couldn't someone just copy that map and release it for free? I don't know how the system would work, but it seems it could easily fail.
    As far as I remember, Blizzard said they would control which maps are premium and have to be bought and which not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jira View Post
    As far as I remember, Blizzard said they would control which maps are premium and have to be bought and which not.
    That's.....much much worse than our argument-generated real-money auction house. At least there the user has the option to sell it or not. In this case Blizzard can take anything that's popular ( I miss my defense games and evolves, wtb classic Starcraft), and charge money for it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That's.....much much worse than our argument-generated real-money auction house. At least there the user has the option to sell it or not. In this case Blizzard can take anything that's popular ( I miss my defense games and evolves, wtb classic Starcraft), and charge money for it.
    I'm not totally sure, but I was under the impression that the map makers would have to choose to opt in for the "map selling" stuff and Blizzard would decide if it's "good" enough to be sold.
    Maybe search for some old Blue posts, there was a lot written about the whole subject... I just can't recall everything 100 % sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's individual maps, then fuck that.

Map packs however, may or may not be cool with me.

But I feel like people will just make them anyways.

First of all I think it will not be an auction house but simply a map market. There are some pretty fun custom games in Starcraft 2 and some AMAZING ones being developed with the engine. Mafia is probably one of the most interesting SC2 custom games and I wouldn't mind paying lets say $5. I can see how the players would be annoyed but it at least sends some money towards the developers way so they can continue to make new games.

I can imagine much larger games such as "Starcraft Universe" will require bigger payments of $10-$20. Blizzard invited the games developer over to their headquarters to chat with him about the game and this is Blizz's basic way of saying "We'll never have a Starcraft MMO but we have approved external to design the game in our spirit" just take a look at the game on its website at strarcraftuniverse.org and it looks pretty cool and I will be even willing to pay for it. This will give players a bigger incentive to design games if not only joy is received but also money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Encouraging outsiders to make maps is a good thing.

They gave us Tal'darim Altar, Testbug, Crevasse, Terminus,

All are very good maps

Quote Originally Posted by Kashydan View Post
    Why, what are Activision doing in this market - custom CoD levels?

hell with blizzard if they do this, so sick of all these micro-transactions,

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Why, what are Activision doing in this market - custom CoD levels?
    Shhh people still believe activision owns blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    This has been planned since like 07.

It would be custom maps that are 100% custom. Not just like we have now. Melee maps would be ineligible.

The original DotA wouldn't be able to go on sale, to put it in perspective. None of the games we have now would, either. None. 0. All maps(well, most, there is one that's simply a cutscene) we have now are using Blizzard assets(models, textures, etc). For one to be eligible EVERYTHING would be from the ground up.

And they talked about like .5$ to 2-3$, iirc.

I'm surprised people are just now hearing about it. They talked about it since SC2 was announced, and have gotten questions about it each Blizzcon.
    Last edited by seam; 2011-08-06 at 05:06 AM.

only way I could see map sales is if they are all tested and released through Blizzard, otherwise any joe shmuck could create a map, hype it up, sell it, and turn out to be just a save of flat ground.

As long as supporting custom maps makers.. I'm down with it, but Blizzard has to implement their maps in their ladder and stop using their crap made by hamsters called "developers".
    Real tanks don't use that foo foo magic stuff...we use steel and harsh language.

My faith in humanity before WotLK : ------|---
    after : -|--------

After blizzard completelly ruined SC2's custom map system i honestly stopped playing sc2. It should have been the same as SC1 where you could host a public game. Now your game has to become popular and then blizzard has to decide to host it publicly and only then the top 50 maps get hosted.... Otherwise your stuck with your friends, im sorry but thats fucking retarded.