Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Neither.
    The true successor would have been torchlight people's working back at blizzard, along with their writers, the huge resources, the right to use diablo's material etc. Right now the guys at torchlight have to fight a losing battle, since blizz can simple throw more money and make a better product. In the end though, the true losers are we, the customers, who end up with two "good" games instead of one excellent.

It's like Fallout 3. Neither bethesda nor today's interplay was able to make it. Thus we got a butchered down version of fo1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    - The 'spiritual' successor for Diablo is not Diablo 3, but is Torchlight -- the design ethos, the music, the gameplay, the multiplayer approach, and the lack of 'integration' with Activision's account management.
    Activision's account management, won't it be using battle.net?

Quote Originally Posted by JoErVoL View Post
    Neither.
    The true successor would have been torchlight people's working back at blizzard, along with their writers, the huge resources, the right to use diablo's material etc. Right now the guys at torchlight have to fight a losing battle, since blizz can simple throw more money and make a better product. In the end though, the true losers are we, the customers, who end up with two "good" games instead of one excellent.
    If this keeps up the industry won't be about talent anymore, just about money. With EA and Activision dividing the market up between them we're already headed down the path of unlimited greed, wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with single-player games where you have to pay a monthly fee aswell as having a cash shop ingame which allows you to jump to max level and skip the recycled content put in the game because it is mindnumbingly boring.

Sends shivers down my spine.
    I.M.F - Imposing Misery Forever.

Q: What's the difference between fascism and libertarianism?
    A: Under fascism, you are starved of your freedom. Under libertarianism, you are free to starve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalorian View Post
    If this keeps up the industry won't be about talent anymore, just about money. With EA and Activision dividing the market up between them we're already headed down the path of unlimited greed, wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with single-player games where you have to pay a monthly fee aswell as having a cash shop ingame which allows you to jump to max level and skip the recycled content put in the game because it is mindnumbingly boring.

Sends shivers down my spine.
    Maybe their master plan is to make going outside look better and better..... >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3 sales will crush torchlight 1 and 2 combined. Anything blizzard touches, turns to pure gold with a platinum core. So, say what ever you want about it, money talks.

Torchlight 1 was allot of fun, but full of terrible flaws. No multiplayer in a game like that makes you wonder what the HELL the devs were thinking. Torchlight could have been a 5 out of 5 stars, but with no multiplay, it was a mere 2 out of 5.

Diablo 3. It's going to be better than TL2 by a lot, no question in my mind.

TL2 is going to rock. Too bad there will be so many shining armoured individuals accepting whatever trash Activision spits out.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Let's not forget Hellgate London.. I of course enjoyed Diablo2 immensely and thought the schaefer's, brevik, and Roper would do wonders.. Hellgate really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Torchlight was fun at first, but felt shallow and as they admitted was a tech demo.. I'll play both but I'm really looking forward to Diablo3..

That's not to say that I think Wilson is a god of design

Many of the original designers and producers from Blizzard North are now at Runic Games. No one left at Blizzard working on Diablo 3 have previous Diablo experience.
    Lets not forget the unsung gem they made but was never finished, Hellgate London would have been even more amazing had it goten the backing it needed.

Also tbh diablo 3 is going so far away from its roots in d2 and even d1 i dont think its really a successor more of a game in the same universe, They will play no where near the same as the old d games.

Honestly I'm gonna likely play both. I wanna play Diablo 3 because it's made by Blizzard and it'll be popular and fun. Whereas I really like how ex-blizzard employees are working on Torchlight 2, and I feel bad for them because they can't seem to catch a break.

15+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3 will kick Torchlight`s ass any day of the week
    And yes ive played torchlight and YES its a good game, but its just "not the same" as Diablo 2 at least, will see how it goes with Torchlight 2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchlight_II
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

"not the same" as Diablo 2
    have you seen whats been taken out of Diablo 3 that was in d2? D3 isnt going to be the same or an upgrade of d2.

Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    have you seen whats been taken out of Diablo 3 that was in d2? D3 isnt going to be the same or an upgrade of d2.
    Again, Blizzard doesn't do remakes. If it has loot, interesting classes, and cool skills while innovating in a notoriously uncreative genre, it'll feel like Diablo.

A lot of the things that people are complaining about in D3, People complained about from teh transition of D1->D2(Namely the addition of skill trees)

I really like what blizzard is doing with D3, I just wish they took Pvp a little more seriously..but pvp wasn't a big deal in D2 for me anyways. I hope D3 is everything I hope it is, and I think people complaining are either not thinking things through, or just complaining to complain.

PS: torchlight 2 looks like a lighthearted version of Diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    TL2 is going to rock. Too bad there will be so many shining armoured individuals accepting whatever trash Activision spits out.
    Aren't you the one accepting anything they make just because a few of the diablo-developers are in the project? Torchlight was terrible, TL2 I have no hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Aren't you the one accepting anything they make just because a few of the diablo-developers are in the project? Torchlight was terrible, TL2 I have no hope for.
    Torchlight got 8.0 and higher from almost every review site (IGN, Gamespot, 1up gave it an A), and it did well on Metacritic. So objectively, it's not horrible, objectively, it did very well, especially for what it was (a budget game).

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Torchlight is amazing, I just played a few hours of it tonight.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

I vote Torchlight 2, ActiBlizz has just been going downhilll ever since the merge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalorian View Post
    This. Anyone who even remotely considers Blizzard to be anything but a soulless, robotic corporation out for profit needs a brain-check - corporations want to maximize profits, especially big ones, and Pay 2 Win was inevitably going to come sooner or later, chinese goldfarmers and whatnot had nothing to do with it, it's just to cover their asses. Of course, they don't consider the long-term consequences, but corporations aren't known for having smart management.
    have you actually read up on the ah? its not pay to win and ppl who keep saying it obviously dont even understand what pay to win means. im honestly tired of always hearing this term, pay to win implies some great advantage you pay for that f2p people cant access. the diablo 3 auction on the other hand gives you the option to sell the items YOU FIND in the game, that ANYONE can find. seriously people stop this free to win bull shit.

but back to the topic at hand, i personally didnt like torchlight. sure it was like diablo 2 but it was TOO similar. i mean i love d2 and all but the no respec (which they added later into d2) is a pain. ask anyone who screwed up a few points here or there and had to start from scratch again >~>
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    have you actually read up on the ah? its not pay to win and ppl who keep saying it obviously dont even understand what pay to win means. im honestly tired of always hearing this term, pay to win implies some great advantage you pay for that f2p people cant access. the diablo 3 auction on the other hand gives you the option to sell the items YOU FIND in the game, that ANYONE can find. seriously people stop this free to win bull shit.

but back to the topic at hand, i personally didnt like torchlight. sure it was like diablo 2 but it was TOO similar. i mean i love d2 and all but the no respec (which they added later into d2) is a pain. ask anyone who screwed up a few points here or there and had to start from scratch again >~>
    I understand it should have been in the game from the start, but it was very simple to mod respeccing into TL.