Sold my laptop, looking for HDD wipe software

Hey guys, so I sold my laptop on ebay so the next step is to wipe the data on it. I have heard there is free software floating around but can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Doesn't just reinstalling Windows on it work just as fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    CCLeaner has that option to wipe a HDD.

Backup anything you want to save, run the disk utility on the OS Install disc, then delete the partitions. Create new ones, format them, then re-install windows. If you're paranoid, repeat the process.

Reinstall windows, make an txt data as big as your hdd and delete it.

I want to wipe it without reformatting because I don't have the recovery dvds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    I want to wipe it without reformatting because I don't have the recovery dvds.
    Only way to do that is to manually delete any data that you know you want gone, then use a tool to create a file to fill up the drive. Delete that file and repeat a couple times.

Deleted
    Get close to one of these

A MRI scanner, 3 Tesla, enough to clear a credit card in a radius of 10m. Should be enough to wipe your HDD (SSDs won't work as good for obvious reasons).

Deleted
    CCleaner is a great tool, with more than just the ability to wipe a HDD. What's more, it's free!

Make sure to do a 7-pass wipe if you really want to erase all traces of anything on there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagtark View Post
    Make sure to do a 7-pass wipe if you really want to erase all traces of anything on there.
    One pass is pretty much enough for modern HDDs, and makes it impossible for most companies to recover the data (bits and fragments maybe, but no complete files). Two passes will completely remove the possibility. Rest is gravy.

This is why its so god damn crucial when you accidentally erase a file to IMMEDIATELY POWER DOWN AND STOP USING THE DRIVE.

Wait hold on, so does CCleaner wipe all of the files on the computer? So its is basically brand new to someone who purchased it?