Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

[Anime] Opinions on good anime to get into.

Evening, all!

I was never a large anime fan. I just never really had the time to get into it. A month or two ago, a friend of mine convinced me to try Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I got hooked pretty quickly. I kept hearing terrible things about Fullmetal, but I went back and watched the original series and it made me a sad, sad person.

Anyway, as I was saying, I did really enjoy the Brotherhood series. It got me wondering what other good anime series were out there that I'd be able to enjoy. Remember, I've never seen any other series before, so if you have a favorite or something you'd reccomend, new or old, I'd love to hear it! I have too much time to burn =)

edit: And then, of course, I find sy's list. I really need to pay more attention.
    Last edited by Armakus; 2011-08-11 at 11:06 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Claymore (one of my favorites)
    Death Note
    Gundam (start with Gundam Wing)
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Elfen Lied
    Witchblade
    Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

There's a BUNCH of anime that aren't very well known at http://www.watchanimeon.com/anime-list/. I recommend Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and Angel Beats from this site. Browse to your leisure.

a lot of people will say clannad...but if crying your heart out isnt your thing...then maybe samurai champloo? or anything that guy said

if your interested in robots u should watch Gundam Seed and then if u like it Gundam Seed: Destiny

As others have said it depends a bit what you really like. FMA: Brotherhood is one of my favorites; in fact for grins in the anime thread just made a mosaic picture of my top six. Some of them are:

-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (middle left picture): set in the relatively near future when cybernetics are becoming mainstream. This has brought a load of problems with it from cyberbrain hacking to anti-cybernetics activist groups. It follows Section 9, a bureau of Japan's internal security specially dedicated to dealing with these issues. It's a mixture of detective work, politics, and action.

-Mushishi (middle right picture): the world is populated by enigmatic, ethereal creatures called "Mushi." Think of them like macroscopic bacteria that only some people can see; they're usually not intelligent but more like basic motes of life. Ginko is a "Mushishi" or Mushi-hunter who makes it his business to wander around endlessly studying them as well as helping people when they run afoul of some types of Mushi. Mellow series that I liked for its beautiful scenery; also appeals to the biologist in me (although Ginko's explanation of how living things are organized is inaccurate, but I could forgive it for that ).

-Samurai Champloo (bottom left): set in pre-opening Japan it follows the journey of Mugen, Jin, and Fuu as they look for "the samurai who smells like sunflowers." Quirky and really entertaining series with a hip-hop twist to traditional Japanese culture and music. The fight animations are some of the very best I've ever seen. If you see this one and like it two others I'd recommend from there are Cowboy Bebop (by the same director with many of the same themes, except darker and set in space) and Katanagatari (literally, "sword story" is about a duo who are going around Japan collecting 12 legendary swords; interesting stylized animation).

-Gunslinger Girl (upper left): my #1 series, it's not one I can really recommend to everybody because if you don't get into it it's really slow and boring but if you do it's hauntingly sad. It's a short series that follows the Social Welfare Corporation and its usage of children who were saved from death by their technology but have since been employed as brainwashed assassins. Despite being labeled as action it's more of a mournful drama; the sense of disturbing realism is enhanced by their research into locations, history, weapons, and firing technique. So I'll let you decide whether that sounds at all like something you'd want to see (second edit: here's an AMV that I think captures the essence of the series, although there are a few spoilers if you recognize them).

-Steins;Gate (not on there): currently an on-going series (at 19/26) which is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. It focuses on time travel and how it affects things when you start screwing with the past. It's also got a great sense of humor which helps counterbalance the darker action/drama of the series. A lot more thinking than fighting in this series as well.

You also haven't specified whether you have a preference for subbed or dubbed. The good news is that GitS, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo are some of the best dubs out there if you prefer English (some other really great dubs that you could possibly like are Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon, although both of those series are definitely for mature audiences).

Edit: since Digglett is currently banned for some reason I feel it's my duty to put in a plug for Puella Magi Madoka Magika on her part. It's a "magical girl" anime (think Sailor Moon) except rather than being five different kinds of silly it develops into a rather impressive dark action series.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2011-08-12 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deathnote and Wolf's Rain are pretty good imo

My Vote goes for what I said in the other thread, The Legend of the Legendary Heros. The plot goes as so: "Ryner Lute is a lazy student of the Roland Empire Royal Magician's Academy. One day, the Roland Empire goes to war against their neighboring country Estabul, and Ryner loses his classmates in the war. After the war, Ryner sets out on a journey to search the relics of a "Legendary Hero" at King Sion Astal's command and finds out that a deadly curse is spreading throughout the continent".

I personally feel that you can get a good feel for an anime just by the opening/endings, so I'll leave this for you to watch

And a little picture.

3DS Friend Code: 3282-4450-9594

check out inuyasha, its the first amine they got me to look for more then got into full-metal /fullmetal brotherhood, then of course my favorite bleach , and get into the manga , like books u get mroe info from them then anime ,http://mangastream.com/ for managa

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently watching Code Geass: Lelouch of Rebellion and I highly recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone above said, Mushishi. The art is amazing, the music excellent, and the story...relaxing? I can't explain it. It's the closest thing to an anime masterpiece in my eyes.

Spice and Wolf, another "relaxing" show where the vast majority of the conflict isn't action. Economics.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, It's old, 1995/1996, but don't let the age or art turn you away. The characters are phenomenal, acting in incredibly believable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Spice and Wolf, another "relaxing" show where the vast majority of the conflict isn't action. Economics.
    Funny you mention that one, it's the last of my top 6. I just wasn't sure if it would work for him since all he said was he liked FMA: Brotherhood and Spice and Wolf is pretty far from that in a lot of respects (not that it isn't a lovely little series).

Deleted
    I would reccomend Death Note and Hellsing Ultimate.
    Hellsing Ultimate is still in the progress of being made though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the usual Code Geass (Considered Mandatory watching material) I suggest that you watch Soul Eater, especially if you liked FMA. It's dark, twisted, action packed and hilarious at the same time.

Sampler:

10+ Year Old Account
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

that is all.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

My favorite anime so far is definitely Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

that is all.
    Watched it..had heard much good about it expected too much and got highly dissapointed, was not nearly as twisted as I'd thought it would be and such bit overrated imo.

OT: Watching pandora hearts atm, pretty decent show, 07 ghost(bit too much fanservice for girls at some parts though, ugh) Tales of abyss, Angel beats, other than that most anime's I have watched have already been said.

I just finished watching the anime Clannad. As an 18 year old male that does not normally cry to things. I was crying and laughing through out this anime. The characters are so lovable and funny. I know this is cheesy but this anime has really opened my eyes to adult hood and am really looking forward to the rest of my life.

Warning if you hate sad animes do not watch the second season, it is full of all kinds of sad things. But if you are like me and loved the first season you will want to watch the second one. Season 2 at around episode 8 is not nearly as good as the episodes beforehand.That might be because they get really sad.Both seasons 1 and 2 are on netflix and I literally just bought over 250 dollars in clannad dvd sets/lithographs. I am truly in love with this anime and I recommend it to every person that is looking for one. Message me after you watch it would love to see how you feel and if you have any questions as to the ending feel free to ask aswell since it is a little confusing.

There is also a clannad movie that I am about to watch. Btws on the first season the last episode is and alternate ending and in Clannad after story which is season 2 episode 23 and 24 are also alternate story lines.

Watch episode 25 before episode 23 and 24 on the second season as they mixed them up when dubbing them to english.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2011-08-13 at 01:42 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A good thread for all things anime http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...y-s-Anime-List

10+ Year Old Account
    Code Geass.

I'm like you, not big into anime, but I loved Code Geass.
    "The truth, my goal."

Check out Steins;gate. It's still airing, atm, but it's only got a few more episodes left.

Awesome, awesome show.