New computer... First custom build!

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone knew of a good setup for a desktop. I am a COMPLETE NOOB when it comes to custom building, parts, and of course, putting the computer together myself.

I am looking for a custom build that will run WoW at ultra (without shadows is FINE) with at least 30+ FPS no matter where I am (Be it Stormwind or a 40 man raid in Molten Core [Lol]). If possible (Because again I'm a noob when it comes to hardware), I'd also like it to play some other games at near full graphics. These "other" games include stuff like Fallout: NV, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. If I'd have to shell out more than 2-3 hundred additional for the "other games", then ignore that.

Bonus points if you can find a site that will also make the build for me (since, again, I have NO idea how to build computers), OR find me some super easy way to do it myself. (Friends tell me it's easy, but said friends do this for a living -_-)

My budget is ~$1300 total.

Also, please don't make fun of my noobishness if I said something retardedly stupid xD I'm looking for information to make me less nooby =)

Thanks much!!

Edit: If any additional information is needed, please tell me! :P
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2011-08-12 at 02:42 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Check this thread out.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build.

Maybe something like This:

Edited $1500 ($1300) Build

Case: Antec 900 $99.99
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W $89.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68 UD-4 $189.99
    Processor: Intel i7 2600k $314.99 i5 2500k $219.99
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 $89.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB $84.99
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 90GB $168.99
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache 1TB $89.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6970 $349.99 MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti $239.99
    Total:
    1297.90 USD

A
    lso, where do you live?
    Do you need OS/ Peripherals?
    Last edited by Arslay; 2011-08-12 at 03:03 PM.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have friends who do it for a living, buy one of them some beer/food in exchange for them building the computer for you

Above build will do fine on the things you listed, and has space for a second GPU later down the road
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

If you are going to get a new computer, message me, I'll give you the entire list of items I bought 2 months ago. It was 1150 then so, I'm sure it will be cheaper now. I can play any game highest quality 60+ FPS, so, if you want to actually get a good computer that looks sick nasty too, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    If you have friends who do it for a living, buy one of them some beer/food in exchange for them building the computer for you

Above build will do fine on the things you listed, and has space for a second GPU later down the road
    When I referred to said friends, I meant guildies who live multiple states away :<
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2011-08-12 at 04:31 PM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Whatever you end up doing, get the 'said friends' to help you build it or at least supervise so they can answer any questions that come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post

A
    lso, where do you live?
    Do you need OS/ Peripherals?
    USA - Southern Florida (Fort Lauderdale)
    Yeah but it's not like I need to choose from 5000 right? Probs just gonna get W7; granted I don't know much about OS; are there like 20,000 versions of Windows 7? / I can handle peripherals, thanks =)Just to make sure though, pretty much any monitor/speakers will work with just about any computer, right?

---------- Post added 2011-08-12 at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Whatever you end up doing, get the 'said friends' to help you build it or at least supervise so they can answer any questions that come up.
    Read the post above yours :\ granted though I was thinking about maybe live-streaming it so said guildies/friends could at least watch me and tell me if I'm doing something retarded.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2011-08-12 at 04:41 PM.

Bumpity bump? :3

Any other suggestions? I'm really looking at the $1500 build.

Yeah, the $1500 build with a slightly lower Gcard and a 2500k works perfectly for u... or u can take the SSD out and keep either the 6970 or the i7 2600k

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Building a computer is really simple. I was worried when i built mine a couple weeks ago, but seriously if you can do legos, you can do a computer. If you really want some good info on how to actually do the building check out new egg on youtube they have a great 3 part vid series on picking your parts bulding and installing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    Yeah, the $1500 build with a slightly lower Gcard and a 2500k works perfectly for u... or u can take the SSD out and keep either the 6970 or the i7 2600k
    I think I'm going to go with the i5 and the 560 GCard you recommended. My GM (who works with computers every day :P) said that even those two would be overkill, but he said it'd be a good build.

I don't want to do anything like extremely overkill since I just want to play a few games on it and in about 5 years or so, I'll need to get a new build. Definitely don't want to do anything insane :P

PS: Love the Blastoise avatar

---------- Post added 2011-08-16 at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Funkymunke View Post
    Building a computer is really simple. I was worried when i built mine a couple weeks ago, but seriously if you can do legos, you can do a computer. If you really want some good info on how to actually do the building check out new egg on youtube they have a great 3 part vid series on picking your parts bulding and installing software.
    Sadly I never was bought legos as a kid, so that argument will not hold water xD But yes I know HOW to do legos lol

I also just discovered that one of my good friends actually knows about computers, so he's going to help me out now :P

PS: Dark Legacy FTW.

Deleted
    you can build a steady full ultra including shadows 60 fps (with vsync) build for like £600, so that's probably around $700-$850. if you're going for the full $1300 then it will be overkill for WoW and the games you mentioned, but it will a little more future proof also.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    you can build a steady full ultra including shadows 60 fps (with vsync) build for like £600, so that's probably around $700-$850. if you're going for the full $1300 then it will be overkill for WoW and the games you mentioned, but it will a little more future proof also.
    a post like this without a setup to back up your statement leaves me with a less-than-stellar feeling...

post it upppp
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-08-16 at 08:59 PM.
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    a post like this without a setup to back up your statement leaves me with a less-than-stellar feeling...

post it upppp
    well, it's the one in my sig!

1x Coolermaster Centurion 5 II SPECIAL EDITION with Red Interior - With Coolermaster 650W GX PSU - £89.99
    1x G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V - £48
    1x Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard - £80
    1x Philips 221V2SB TFT LCD Full HD 22" DVI Monitor - £87
    1x Intel Core i5 2500K unlocked - £159.99
    1x 1GB MSI HD6870 Hawk TwinFroIII - £136.99

total - £601.97

most builds don't include a monitor so you can take that out and add a samsung spinpoint F3 for £40, which would make the actual PC cost a stellar £554.97. i have this exact build right now and have maximum everything including AA and MS and i currently have 60 FPS with vsync on in the main section of orgrimmar. it also stays at 60 during 25 man raids.

15+ Year Old Account
    i have this exact build right now and have maximum everything including AA and MS and i currently have 60 FPS with vsync on in the main section of orgrimmar. it also stays at 60 during 25 man raids.
    Since someone is going to start this, it may as well be me: no you don't. Get a program that records FPS and post that back here. Will you have good FPS, likely over 30fps always? Yes. Does it sit at 60? No.

It's a decent setup, yes, but your list doesn't include a DVD drive (if needed) an OS and a hard drive (though you mentioned this)

Your build is a very good starting point, but many things can be better (mobo compatible with SLI/Crossfire, PSU, cpu cooler, hard drive, a better PSU, and maybe a 6950 for the OP since he wants to play more graphically demanding games than wow

Deleted
    Since someone is going to start this, it may as well be me: no you don't. Get a program that records FPS and post that back here. Will you have good FPS, likely over 30fps always? Yes. Does it sit at 60? No.
    if you mean fraps, that's where i took my readings from. by no means did i say it's the best pc in the world, but i can't see how adding anything extra is any more beneficial to WoW as i'm running everything with steady fps. this is with a 3.9ghz overclock and 1000mhz/5000mhz on the graphics card though.

please note though, i never suggested that he buy a build like what i posted, i was merely showing a build that can run with max graphics at a low price, to show that he can easily get a system to get what he needs within his budget.

15+ Year Old Account
    please note though, i never suggested that he buy a build like what i posted, i was merely showing a build that can run with max graphics at a low price, to show that he can easily get a system to get what he needs within his budget.
    nono, i know - i was just adding tweaks since he had a larger budget to make it more future-proof since he posted interest in other games as well

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    DO...YOUR....RESEARCH....BEFORE....YOU.....BUY! I am learning how to build a PC myself. After only a couple months of research, I am much more educated on how to build, and what to choose. Watch the Newegg "how to build a pc" video on youtube. It's AMAZING for new builders like us. Read reviews on Newegg also, a lot of reviewers will tell you their specs and what they're running fps wise on certain games.

Case: Personal Preference, just make sure it has cable management and sufficient air flow.
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k is pretty much the standard for gaming right now.
    GPU: A GTX 560 ti is again, pretty much standard from what I read and will run damn near anything at full marks.
    Power Supply is very important. Make sure you get something that will safely run the CPU and GPU you choose. I'm going with a 750w to be safe, but is prolly overkill.
    RAM: 4-8g. Depends on what you want.
    Motherboard: This is where I'm having my problems, I want something with good ratings, good price and good performance. It's a challenge so far
    You also want Win7 64bit. VERY IMPORTANT 64bit.

Anyone is free to correct me if any info I"ve given is wrong, again, I am learning myself! Good Luck!