Deleted

What should I improve for smoother gaming?

Hello everyone, here's my situation:
    I am not happy with the way my computer is performing while playing videogames. Now, I was wondering if someone could help me by telling me what should I upgrade to get a better gaming experience. Doesn't need to be the best, but maybe an important upgrade that could really make the difference. By the way I use a laptop and the info is below:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    System
    Manufacturer Acer, inc.
    Model Aspire 6930
    Total amount of system memory 4,00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 2

Storage
    Total size of hard disk(s) 216 GB
    Disk partition (C 6 GB Free (110 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D 102 GB Free (106 GB Total)
    Media drive (F CD/DVD

Graphics
    Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Total available graphics memory 1695 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1631 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.2302
    Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
    DirectX version DirectX 10

Network
    Network Adapter Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller
    Network Adapter Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Well I hope someone seems my post and can help me out a bit xD. Thanks in advance!

PS: if you think some setting could be changed to maybe favor videogaming on the laptop let me know please!

You don't actually have a dedicated graphics card, so that would be a HUGE upgrade. Also, WoW is very CPU bound, and your CPU isn't the strongest.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    You should upgrade your PC to a sandy bridge setup which is basically one of the best budget pcs out there right now.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm upgrading a laptop, wouldn't it be better to just buy a new one?
    If you want to upgrade your current laptop a dedicated GPU would make a tremendous performance difference, but i somehow doubt the airflow of your laptop can handle a dedicated GPU if it's not built for it.

Don't have much experience with upgrading laptops.

You could also get a desktop for around 500-600 euros which will be able to run all the current games on high/medium and can keep you into games for at least 2 years if you choose the correct hardware.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, with laptops there isn't a whole lot you can upgrade that would make a difference.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Laptops aren't good for upgrading... they aren't made for that.
    If you decide to buy a new laptop here are some great choices in various price ranges.
    The more expensive ones are better (in THIS list... don't take that as a general rule cuz it's far from true).
    Any of them are great for gaming on (for a laptop at least)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214394 ($1300)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246151 ($950)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220997 ($900)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215122 ($680)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215119 ($680)

If you decide to go for a desktop which is much better for gaming, then make a new thread asking for suggestions.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    OK coming back to my own thread after a long time, I prepurchased Guild Wars 2 and started playing the Beta, and my computer cannot handle it well. Getting a new computer isn't an option, as I don't have the money to spend right now . Does anyone think that if I upgrade the graphics card the performance increase will allow me to play Guild Wars 2? And how much would a decent/good graphics cost?

I doubt you could do that. It's an integrated card and you cannot change it as far as I know. That's the issue with new games these days.. Either get 1000$ PC or don't bother :/ I'm on the same boat so I'm stuck with wow.

The only thing you can change on a laptop is ram and harddrive. Neither will increase performance by a noticeable margin.

Unless you have beastly setups like the DRX laptops from Falcon Worthwest which can swap CPU's with desktop replacements you are out of luck. Even they use the mobile versions of the NVidia GPU's. If you could afford them, you have a considerable amount of money to waste on a laptop "powerhouse."

Quote Originally Posted by Looch View Post
    OK coming back to my own thread after a long time, I prepurchased Guild Wars 2 and started playing the Beta, and my computer cannot handle it well. Getting a new computer isn't an option, as I don't have the money to spend right now . Does anyone think that if I upgrade the graphics card the performance increase will allow me to play Guild Wars 2? And how much would a decent/good graphics cost?
    99% of laptops are un-upgradeable, your included. Also it was never a gaming laptop in the first place since it doesn't have dedicated graphics chip at all.

Only way to get better performance is retiring the current laptop and buying whole new computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for the responses!