Deleted

World latency 200-300 and fps 20-30 on Firelands. Normal?

Are these values in normal range? My home latency is always ~50. I also know that:
    'Home' refers to your connection to your realm server. This connection sends chat data, auction house stuff, guild chat and info, some addon data, and various other data. It is a pretty slim connection in terms of bandwidth requirements.

'World' is a reference to the connection to our servers that transmits all the other data... combat, data from the people around you (specs, gear, enchants, etc.), NPCs, mobs, casting, professions, etc. Going into a highly populated zone (like a capital city) will drastically increase the amount of data being sent over this connection and will raise the reported latency.
    When I enter Firelands my fps drops from 60-80 to 20-30. I’m already running with ‘good’-settings (changed from ‘ultra’ while trying to fix this). Just outside Firelands-instance my fps is normal 60-80, even if there are tons of people.

What might cause this? (I really do not understand how this stuff works, how instance differs from the outside, shouldn’t it be lighter since there are less people? Or are the all raiders (other raid groups) at the same “location”)? I have tried to disable some addons, but ofc RL will not tolerate huge amount of logging while you are about to start raid and I do not see this kind of fps loss in other instances.

Can it be some addon polling people on raid (25-man)? What it could be;

• healbot? (other party/raid frames are hidden)
    • suf? (used only for me, my target and my focus)
    • power auras? (cooldown tracing, but it is tracing just my own cds)
    • recount (small effect, not major difference seen on combat)
    • totem timers
    • ??
    All addod updated via curse client, no out of date addons used nor tag enabled.

Or is this just normal inside Firelands?

Edit: Just found out that there is: Sticky Index - Check Here First -> Low FPS? Check Here!

I will check those first. Still explanation of instance and outside difference would be nice.
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2011-08-15 at 11:43 AM.

Is this on 10 or 25 man? There are alot of shit happening within the instance with flying meteors and the birds that circle overhead. I have the same drop on Ultra from 60-80 til 20-30 as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    The framerate drop may be because of a corrupted cache file. Try deleting your cache.

Also, the latency drop may be Blizzard's fault. Since the " Additional Instances Cannot Be Launched" fiasco, many servers have their Instances in a different time zone/on a different server.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Deleted
    i run with 10mb internet and my ping is usually around 150-300 but with leatrix latency fix installed it literally drops to 30 or so. try downloading it from wowinterface and see if the ping drops.

regarding fps, that seems kinda weird. i actually run 25 man and my fps is a steady 60fps (without vsync) inside firelands but it's actually around 50 whilst in orgrimmar. i guess population makes a difference but it's weird to see an increase in 25 mans as all posts i've seen show a considerable drop.

I hope this isn't surprising (you seem to be moderately knowledgable) but instanced area's often 'run' on a completely different machine than a normal world does. You can confirm by monitoring your network traffic before and after entering an instance.

wrt addods causing lag, the is very low chance this is happening. While it's true that a few addons actaully track location and toggle services based on whether you're in a group/instance/raid/w.e it is most likely not the issue. (disable addons and do a comparison to make sure... murphy's law is a b!tch, also go into an instance alone).

The issue you are experiencing is most likely just being on a busy server so there is very little you can do. I sit with 400-500 latency while idling in a major city and it goes DOWN to about 190-270 inside raid instances (eu-deathwing). If you wanted to push the limits of your connection have a look at your network settings to ensure you're not doing something silly, disable ipv6 as i still find it to be unstable, check out leatrix's latency fix, ensure your background downloader isnt running (new patches ahoy), etc, etc.

Edit: A note on the fps drop, firelands has a crap-ton of triggers on fights like beth'tilac and alysrazor, try a different instance and check your results.

Deleted
    At solo fps/latency does not seem to be so high (only ~160-170), but still it is a bit higer than outside. After deleting cache, installing leatrix latency fix and running wow repair this is what happened:

Ty so much! ^_^ I hope it also works on raid... I will see tonight.

I've been having similar problems lately, tonight as the raid was gathering at the trash in front of Ragnaros, I was at a steady FPS cap at 60, with 20 people on the screen. Suddently, as the last 5 people arrived, my FPS dropped all the way down to 28-30. I've had my FPS be much worse, until I had luck unlocking my CPU's multiplier, which was stuck at 7, when it should have gone up to 13. That alone was a huge boost.

I noticed that one of the last few people to arrive was a hunter, so had him run 100 yards away to see if that helped any, but that didn't work. The cache thing sounds pretty good.

As I'm writing this, I was reminded to log onto mumble, at which point I remembered that I hadn't turned on ThrottleStop, which gave an impressive 50% boost. I must mention that I play on a laptop, but it's an MX15 with a 5850 and an i7-740, so even 45 FPS at idle times with Recount only collecting data for myself is quite low.

At least my tip for people is to download and run ThrottleStop 3.00, which does absolute wonders at keeping your CPU from throttling it's performance, which on many laptops are huge problems. As far as I've been able to dig up on the interwebs, problems with CPU throttling exists because some laptops have their CPU throttle match their GPU throttle, causing absolute havoc in most cases.
    Last edited by Lindvahn; 2011-08-15 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo