Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    i would like some links to more info from this magazine! since well.... im not subscribed

---------- Post added 2011-08-16 at 06:20 AM ----------

to those who are upset

night elves-----> high/blood elves (A HORDE RACE)
    Humans /kill-------> undead (A HORDE RACE)

I'm more upset that Orcs apparently descend from Ogres.

Screw that noise!

10+ Year Old Account
    Curse of Flesh IS what turned Vrykul into humans
    This seems to be the solidifying factor, this magazine article. It was hinted at in the quest in Howling Fjord (http://www.wowhead.com/quest=11343) to which the dialogue was:

Ancient Male Vrykul says: So then we too are cursed?
    Ancient Male Vrykul points to the infant.
    Ancient Female Vrykul sobs.
    Ancient Male Vrykul says: The gods have forsaken us! We must dispose of it before Ymiron is notified!
    Ancient Female Vrykul says: NO! You cannot! I beg of you! It is our child!
    Ancient Male Vrykul says: Then what are we to do, wife? The others cannot find out. Should they learn of this aberration, we will all be executed.
    Ancient Female Vrykul says: I... I will hide it. I will hide it until I find it a home, far away from here..

It was just never affirmed fully (to my understanding, anyways).

I'm lovin' all of this lore.
    Too many classes, too little time. Completionist yet lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    i would like some links to more info from this magazine! since well.... im not subscribed
    I have three ridiculously huge code boxes currently typed up that cover everything in the article, but pretty sure it violates the copyrights. Waiting for go aheads to actually post it or not (although, I leave for vacation later today, so it might not happen regardless ><).

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting. Although I do find it weird that even though the nelfs evolved from trolls, many trolls still live today. I guess its the basic principle of the birds that Darwin talked about.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is legit, then night elves are to trolls as humans are to apes. My knickers are soooo in a bunch now. lol

Also, I think WoW lore is pretty clear on the fact that the moonwell changed the hue of the night elves' skin, making it dark purple (ish, sometimes), so what's their explanation of how they evolved from dark (skinned) trolls? Inc retcon?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the most interesting part about this new lore is all the nods being made to the Pandaren. It seems Mists of Pandaria is becoming more and more likely to be the next expansion.

Also what did they mean by this: The orcs drove a race of giants to extinction to build their temples, but this race was not gronn.

What temples? The only temples I've seen in outlands seem to be of Draenei construction.

Okay, got the go ahead. Very long post ahead. There is no TL;DR version, so if you don't care, ignore it. I'm basically going to (attempt to) do an entire breakdown of the pages here. I'm not sure if this will answer any sort of questions for people, but I know a lot of you were asking for the whole thing.. so here it is. The only things I left out were a few comical jokes jotted down that didn't have any actual relevance to the lore.

Hopefully, it won't get too convoluted and difficult to understand, although.. I'm sure it will. >< Note the arrows will point different ways at times, and there will be lots of asterisks to follow around. Good luck and enjoy!

Page 1 & 2 of the article:
    Code:
    Titans --> Tol'vir --> Neferset "Got turned back tae stone by Deathwing."
                       --> Orsis "Curse o' Flesh"
                       --> Ramkahen
                       --> Obsidian Destroyers "Old Golds enslavin' ones that escaped the curse o' flesh."
           --> Earthen --> Dwarves --> Frost*/Dark/Mountain/Hill *"Terrible record keepers, these ones. Nae sure if they hiked back tae Northrend from Uldaman, as there're nae any records in Ulduar o' them bein' lock up there."
                       -- Curse o' Flesh --> Troggs --> Kobolds
           --> Vrykul -- Curse o' Flesh --> Human
           --> Giants --> Fire, Ice, Sea, Storm, Stone "Most o' these got hit with the curse o' flesh, but it dinna seem tae affect 'em much."
           --> Dragons*
           --> Watchers --> Mimiron --> Mechagnomes -- Curse o' Flesh --> Gnomes
                        --> Loken --> Iron Giants/Iron Vrykul/Iron Dwarves "Yogg-Saron corrupted him, an' all these iron types are slaves tae the Old Gods. Still a bunch o' them left, though Thorim an' Mimiron say they're workin' on a way tae fix 'em."

*Dragons --> Bronze --> Infinite "Heard reports that infinite dragons were convertin' bronze dragons. Got chased out o' the caverns o' time fer askin' about it."
             --> Green
             --> Black --> Nether --> Twilight** "Nether dragon essence plus dark magic all poured intae a dragon egg. Looks as if they can reproduce, even."
                       --> Magmawyrms \
             --> Blue --> Frostwyrms   >   Scourge "Different flights make different undead dragons."
             -->  Red --> Emberwyrms  /
             --> Scourge (Same scourge as above, just a direct arrow from Dragons to it.) --> Plagued
             --> Plagued (Same plagued as above, just a direct arrow from Dragons to it.)
             --> Dragonkin <-- Mortal Races "Dragons empower mortal servants, changin' 'em intae somethin' halfway. Turns out ye dinna need tae be willin'... which explains black dragonkin."
             <-- Proto-Dragons

**Red/Blue/Black/Green/Bronze Dragons --> Chromatic "Nefarian's experiments took eggs from different flights, an' with some kind o' dark magic, turned 'em intae chromatic dragons."
                                          --> Twilight "These twilight dragons should nae be as mature as they are. Were they in hiding all these years, or artificially aged somehow?"

Page 3 & 4 of the article:
    Code:
    Trolls --> Zandalari --> Ice Trolls --> Drakkari "Mostly dead now. Tryin' tae eat yer gods will do that." --> Frostmane
                                                                                                              --> Winterax
                         --> Jungle Trolls --> Sand Trolls* --> Sand Fury
                                           --> Gurubashi --> Hakkari "Still tryin' tae find out Hakkar's origin. No records in titan archives. Plenty o' records mention a demon called "Hakkar the Houndmaster," but looks like a different beast." --> Atal'ai
                                                         --> Darkspear/Blodscalp/Skullsplitter/Shatterspear
           --> Forest Trolls --> Amani --> Mossflayer
                                        --> Shadowglen
                                        --> Witherbark
                                        --> Firetree
                                        --> Smolderthorn
                                        --> Vilebranch
                                        --> Shadowpine
                                        --> Raventusk
           --> Dark Trolls --> Shadowtooth "Twilight's Hammer wiped 'em out, it seems. Waitin' fer the mess in Hyjal tae sort iself out before checkin' those caves."
                           --> Kaldorei** --> Highborne*** --> Naga
                                                           --> Satyrs
                                                           --> Quel'dorei --> Sin'dorei

*"Look tae be from when the Great Sundering isolated 'em from the rest o' the Gurubashi Empire."

**"Tribunal o' Ages. Freya. Cenarius. All o' them confirm. This'll ruffle some feathers, tae be sure."

***"Not much o' difference between the Kaldorei 'n Highborne, physically. Pastier, maybe. But they consider themselves different enough."

Pages 5 & 6 of the article (this page is really all over the place and a lot of things don't have any starting point):
    Code:
    Ancients --> Malorne (+ Elune) --> Cenarius --> Magnataur "Now THAT was an awkward conversation. Hoo, boy." (I laughed.)
                                                --> Dryads --> Forest
                                                           --> Frost
                                                --> Keepers --> Zaetar + Theradras --> Centuar "There're a few Kaldorei plays about this. Says somethin' that Theradras is portrayed as a slender lady, 'stead o' a hulkin' elemental."
             --> Pandaren "Around before the Kaldorei an' furbolgs, if their tales are tae be trusted. Bearly any evidenc.. och, Chen's puns are infectious."
             --> Frog? --> Gorlocs --> Murlocs "They're smarter than we think. Smart enough tae nae let anyone know."
             --> Badger? --> Wolvar "Definitely nae Titan-made, but the Titans rounded 'em up. Tribunal o' Ages entry is corrupted, so nae help there."
             --> Aessina? --> Grell "All I got from the Ancient was, "Maybe." Flighty one, that."
             --> Hyena? --> Gnolls
             --> Bull ("Cow?" is crossed out below Bull) --> Tauren "Tauren are from before the Titans, like the Trolls, but all their tales talk o' a spirit creator. Some form o' animal spirit before the Emerald Dream was around?"
             --> Walrus? --> Tuskarr
             --> ??? --> Pygmies
                     + Kajamite --> Goblins "Surprised that they're still smart after the kaja'mite ran out. Must have changed the race at a fundamental level. Need tae research that ore. Somethin's nae right about it."
             --> Ursoc --> Furbolgs
             --> Lobster ancient? --> Makrura
             --> Agamaggan --> Quillboar
             --> Aviana --> Harpies

Earth Giants* --> Gronn --> Ogres --> Ettin "Enough fossils point tae this, but I suspect there's some sort o' "missin' link" here. Too bad that planet's gone tae pieces."
                                      --> Orcs (Orcs has an arrow pointing back towards Mok'nathal)
                                      --> Mok'nathal

Fungi --> Fungal Giants
          --> Sporelings

??? --> Eredar --> Draenei "They be changed after submittin' tae Sargeras, but they still be callin themselves 'eredar'..."

Anzu? --> Arakkoa "Some evidence Anzu was a corrupted version o' some other spirit. Tryin' tae find more, but the Arakkoa prefer tae throw curses at me, nae answers."

???** --> Aqir --> Qiraji --> Silithid --> Insects?
                   --> Nerubians --> Spiders? "Need tae check with the Tribunal o' Ages again. It said that spiders an' insects descended from the Aqir after the Old God war, but what about before?"

*"Whatever these giants were, only signs o' their passin' are those temples Orcs built from their bones durin' the Second War... which all got destroyed."

**"Titan records point tae the Old Gods makin' the Aqir out o' somethin' else."
    Last edited by Elysia; 2011-08-16 at 09:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I think the most interesting part about this new lore is all the nods being made to the Pandaren. It seems Mists of Pandaria is becoming more and more likely to be the next expansion.

Also what did they mean by this: The orcs drove a race of giants to extinction to build their temples, but this race was not gronn.

What temples? The only temples I've seen in outlands seem to be of Draenei construction.
    The Temples of the Damned from Warfraft 2, which they used to make the first kind of death knights. The temples were made with the bones of giants.

Probable lobster ancient is actually mentioned, or is just something posted for completion? Because Makrura only look as a random evolution to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Probable lobster ancient is actually mentioned, or is just something posted for completion? Because Makrura only look as a random evolution to me.
    The only things I added in my own words were contained in parenthesis. Beyond that, I truly have no idea. As far as a lot of the Ancients information goes, it seems like Brann is just speculating.

15+ Year Old Account
    Every time i read that line about Kaja'mite, it makes me feel as if they plan on linking it to an old god like they did with Saronite.

Only thing that really narks me off about this (Even being a Night elf fanboy) is that they put this stuff into the overpriced magazine of theirs, i had a 4-issue subscription to it and all we got was already-known lore off Wowwiki, the one time they write something actually new in there, is the magazine after my subscription ran out :P

Sure, i can read it here too, but 4 issues of kicking in open doors with old news and a lot of chatter about pet-collecting or "How to pwn in PvP", followed by the first interesting lore-bit since the magazine began, not nice T_T

10+ Year Old Account
    how odd i specifically remember metzen saying sargaras wasn't corrupted but had a change of perspective
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    *Snip*
    The quote about Trolls being isolated from the Gurubashi references the Sand Trolls. The Forest Trolls at the time had their own empire (Twin Empires - Gurubashi and Amani).

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    They will feel *sunglasses* trolled.
    LOL.... I think I might need to add this to my sig maybe :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Lorewise... how is it possible for a rogue or a warrior to res someone? A hunter ressing a feral druid I can understand but.. eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Crusade View Post
    Clearly the rogue stabs them with a poison that revives, and the warrior yells at them until they get up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    The quote about Trolls being isolated from the Gurubashi references the Sand Trolls. The Forest Trolls at the time had their own empire (Twin Empires - Gurubashi and Amani).
    I was leaning towards that assumption, but the quote was literally just plopped into the middle of the page. I'll fix that bit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Only thing that really narks me off about this (Even being a Night elf fanboy) is that they put this stuff into the overpriced magazine of theirs, i had a 4-issue subscription to it and all we got was already-known lore off Wowwiki, the one time they write something actually new in there, is the magazine after my subscription ran out :P
    This issue was my last one I'll be receiving. Kind of sad since it's an entertaining read, but definitely not re-subbing. Just can't justify spending the cash on it right now. Only reason I subbed in the first place was for a free murloc plushy that came with it at last year's Blizzcon.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2011-08-16 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    lots of pandaren is involved in this
    Images of having it shoved down our throats is what I get. Older than the elves, why that lone justifies their place in WOW
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROWASHU View Post
    Images of having it shoved down our throats is what I get. Older than the elves, why that lone justifies their place in WOW
    Again.. there was one line about Pandaren in the entire article. People are making it seem like there was an entire page dedicated to them or something. It really wasn't that big of a deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Addamus View Post
    Nice bit of info OP. I've always preferred to look at the Elves lineage that way, but until now, it's never been confirmed. Unless they retcon it so the different types of elves are no longer branches of the same race, then the confirmation that Night Elves came from Dark Trolls also confirms that Blood Elves and High Elves came from Trolls.

Also, I hope they go more into the history of the Tauren. Would love to see more about their origin come to light.
    Didn't Blood Elves and High Elves come from Night Elves? They just used more magic which changed their looks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Didn't Blood Elves and High Elves come from Night Elves? They just used more magic which changed their looks.
    Well, sort of. They also turned away from the old nocturnal way of life.