Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    Deleted

It's official, Night Elves evolved from Dark Trolls (and MORE lore).

Mod edit: In-thread breakdown of the magazine article, fully covering all of it.

WoW Magazine 5 is finally out and some of its lore info is being posted on the US story forums, let me quote it:

Night Elves are indeed evolved from dark trolls

Tauren do predate the titans (even though the recent ask CDev implied they didn't)

Pandaren have a society older than that of the night elves

Curse of Flesh IS what turned Vrykul into humans

The orcs drove a race of giants to extinction to build their temples, but this race was not gronn

The Ettin are from Draenor and are a "missing link" in the evolution of ogres

The Magnataur are related to Cenarius (what, did he get it on with an elephant? Cenarius seems to be a chubby chaser)

EDIT:-The who corrupted Sargeras is finally answered. The first demons that Sargers fought were dreadlords, infernals, doomguards, and what looked like a male succubus.

-Grell were created by Assenia (Brann says that she believes so, but can't remember much about creating them)

-He believes Kaja'mite might have sinister origins. Specifically it says "Need tae research that ore. Somethin's nae right about it."

-Kobolods are actually an evolved form of trogg.

-There are no records of frost dwarves in Ulduar, so Brann speculates they emerged from Uldaman with the regular dwarfs and then migrated to Northrend.

-Earth Giants apparently were turned into Gronn (perhaps via the curse of flesh) who then turned into ogres and ettin.

-Pandaren claim to be older than furblogs and are not related to them. Brann claims that he he learned this from Chen who's "puns are infectious".

-Brann believes all non titan races except trolls and their descendants are the offspring of various ancients. Tauren came from a "bull ancient", gorlocs from a a "frog ancient" (they later evolved into murlocs), Tuskarr from a "walrus ancient", harpies from Aviana, ect.

-Northrend is still crawling with iron dwarves, giants and vrykul. Thorim and Mimiron are trying to "fix 'em".

-Dragonkin are mortal races turned into half dragons by the flights. The process isn't voluntary, dragons just seem to abduct people and forcibly transform them. This is how there are so many black dragonspawn.

-The titans created five types of giants: Fire, Ice, Sea, Storm and Stone. They've all been affected by the curse of flesh, but not to the same degree as the mortal races.

-The absence of the Shadowtooth dark troll clan is explained. "Twilight's Hammer wiped 'em out, it seems. Waitin' fer the mess in Hyjal tae sort itself out before checkin' those caves."

-The Drakkari tribe is all but extinct. "Tryin' tae eat yer gods will do that."
    Last edited by Elysia; 2011-08-16 at 10:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Night Elves are indeed evolved from dark trolls
    Bahaha. I wonder how well the "no they didn't" brigade will deal with this unsurprising turn of events.

Also, hopefully Sargeras' pre-corruption art gets scanned before long.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2011-08-15 at 09:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Bahaha. I wonder how well the "no they didn't" brigade will deal with this unsurprising turn of events.
    Declare a crusade?

Also, I like that they gave the nod to the fact that most of the bosses of Ulduar are still up and around now that they've been detoxed and Yoggy's gotten his many, many teeth kicked down his many, many mouths. It does make me wonder if we'll see more of the vrykul, though.

/cue utterly, totally irrational hope that vrykul will one day be playable
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I wonder how well the "no they didn't" brigade will deal with this unsurprising turn of events.
    They will feel *sunglasses* trolled.

-Kobolods are actually an evolved form of trogg.
    Warcraft lore is getting additions of trully outstanding quality.

Deleted
    I love the fact that they are bringing back a WC2 detail, the Temple of the Damned's giant bones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice bit of info OP. I've always preferred to look at the Elves lineage that way, but until now, it's never been confirmed. Unless they retcon it so the different types of elves are no longer branches of the same race, then the confirmation that Night Elves came from Dark Trolls also confirms that Blood Elves and High Elves came from Trolls.

Also, I hope they go more into the history of the Tauren. Would love to see more about their origin come to light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsimeon
    Ahoy there, Captain Crybuckets, be that some QQ I see? Yarr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
    Yo Dawg I heard you like to QQ, so I put some QQ in your QQ so you can QQ while you QQ
    I enjoy creative ways to call people out on whining. If I see any, they're likely to end up here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Evulooshun is only a theery!!1!
    Kind of why vigilantism isn't a policy to be proud of. It's rather like trying to solve a rat problem by beating them to death with a live cobra.

Deleted
    lots of pandaren is involved in this

Looks like I'll have to update a few things on my site.

My suspension from the official forums is up in less than an hour now. I predict a rabid shitstorm of nerd raging fury to come from this. Should be glorious.

I like how they're now specifically starting to talk about pandarens...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that. The Pandaren haven't barely been mentioned for a long time, and they get multiple name-checks in the same article here? I think we're going to see more of them, real soon.

Everything else sounds good and makes more sense than WoW lore usually does!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Earth Giants apparently were turned into Gronn (perhaps via the curse of flesh) who then turned into ogres and ettin.
    Confirmation that the titans had a hand in Draenor then? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bareno View Post
    Yep yep, I think everyone will agree this is quite timely indeed!
    My armory
    DK tanking stuffs since WoTLK beta's first day of release.

Actually I have a real life, I'm just on my friends computer while we have a drink around his house before we go BMX'ing down the castle near by his house and found all the geeks spouting rubbish.
    Most fail troll thread ever. Featuring Boub as last post!

I've known this since before this came out i just can't remember where...

Edit: After reading the post i still find it very interesting
    Last edited by Andlát; 2011-08-15 at 10:12 PM.
    If the Burning Legion is such a problem, why not just throw water on them? Then they'll just be a Legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    What is wrong with having a character show up again? Some people are so dumb and will hate on anything blizzard does. Seriously, if you hate it so much that you cant see straight when they show a character a 2nd time, then you should just quit. Also, never read a book. Ever. You will be mad.

Quote Originally Posted by willjones410 View Post
    My suspension from the official forums is up in less than an hour now. I predict a rabid shitstorm of nerd raging fury to come from this. Should be glorious.
    I gave up taking the lore that seriously a long time ago. :P

I still follow it a decent amount, but it's hard to make a big deal when you can be right one second, and Blizzard changes their mind the next. The worst part is when people try to pretend you were wrong before, when it was actually a retcon. I mean, just look at that second bullet point. Last time they mentioned that detail, the opposite was true? Heh. :P

People might freak out about the night elf thing? Well, it may not have been true before. I think a lot of people take for granted how often Blizzard is influenced by popular belief, and then use that to prove they were right, when it was actually the other way around. That's not me trying to take a stance on that particular point though, just an observation about lore in general.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2011-08-15 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarog View Post
    Confirmation that the titans had a hand in Draenor then? Hmm.
    They had a hand in many worlds. The bigger question... How could the curse of the flesh reach Draenor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bareno View Post
    If it wasn't obvious already

10+ Year Old Account
    Troll Thread, Issue 5 is not out yet!
    Deathwing sunk my battleship

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Andlát View Post
    Dude i've known this since before this came out i just can't remember where...
    It's the official confirmation, given by Cenarius, Freya and the Tribunal of Ages to Brann.