The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    lotro gives u nearly everything.. u can purchase everything in the eshop if u dont like the subscription. You get to pick the content you like.. dont like pvp? dont buy anything pvp related etc.
    ...Rift gives you everything except bags and souls, which you can also purchase. Other than that you don't spend money on anything. You don't like PvP? That's ok because it's free. You like the world events? That's ok because those are free too. I really don't see what your point is here.

You're arguing for a worse model by giving reasons that aren't even true...in order to somehow justify a subscription? I'm seriously not getting it here.

Edit: Like...you do see that you get no quests without spending money on LotRO right? You also have the same restrictions of bags and character slots that Rift has...so...what specifically are you trying to say is different about LotRo that makes it more appealing to you?

Most people look and only see on game that makes you pay for everything (lotro) and another that gives you just about everything (rift)
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    if rift didnt have a subscription.. this would be a non issue. It does and i just dont feel its worth it and it feels like theyre trying to make me buy things rather than me wanting to buy them.

if rift didnt have a subscription.. this would be a non issue. It does and i just dont feel its worth it and it feels like theyre trying to make me buy things rather than me wanting to buy them.
    The same can be said about the other model you presented except it's tied to a subscription instead of freedom of choice and rift doesn't have a subscription. It has a patron status.

There is a difference and you clearly see the difference because you don't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm...what are they trying to make you buy though? Bag slots and character slots...which are also forced on you in LotRO.

And if you don't feel that patron status is worth it (which it isn't) you just don't buy the patron status. Not sure how the fact that it exists is somehow forcing you to buy anything. Are you just unhappy that in LotRO you can pay a sub and have bags and character slots? Because you realize as soon as you stop paying $15/mo those disappear, where when you buy them for like $25 in Rift they stay forever?
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    yes lotro doesnt have a subscription it has a VIP status

no i want hybrid models to actually appeal to both types of players.. those who favour subs and those who favour F2P.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-06-25 at 03:41 PM.

yes lotro doesnt have a subscription it has a VIP status
    Since lotro VIP status gives you things that are restricted from F2P like the AH, gold cap, mail, quest packs, traits and more it's a fancy word for subscription. While Rift patron status doesn't restrict anything but gives you bonuses you don't really need but are a nice niche hence why its called patron

Lotro you don't have the freedom to choose what you specifically want from its "upgrade" while Rift you do. You just want restrictions to justify subscription being worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Since lotro VIP status gives you things that are restricted from F2P like the AH, gold cap, mail, quest packs, traits and more it's a fancy word for subscription. While Rift patron status doesn't restrict anything but gives you bonuses you don't really need but are a nice niche hence why its called patron

Lotro you don't have the freedom to choose what you specifically want from its "upgrade" while Rift you do. You just want restrictions to justify subscription being worth it.
    nearly everything u said is purchasable from the eshop..

10+ Year Old Account
    no i want hybrid models to actually appeal to both types of players.. those who favour subs and those who favour F2P.
    That's fine. I can understand that. It's just not what you've been arguing. Somehow you're saying that Rift's model forces you to pay for things and that it isn't as good a value, but none of that is true. You get more for nothing.

By using LotRO's example, you are effectively arguing that you want more restrictions and a more costly game in order to justify a subscription. That's just silly. Zito clarified that Patron status isn't a traditional subscription model, because it isn't. You only have that status to get perks, not to access any part of the game..which is what is involved in a subscription as you have pointed out.

I get what you are saying about wanting it to appeal to both groups, but you should be arguing for the subscription in Rift to be more valuable instead of asking for the entire game to be less valuable free. That's arguing that you should pay more money just to feel better about it. It is illogical.

I have the same criticism of Patron status in Rift. On top of everything it has, it should have provided a stipend. By flat out refusing a stipend they have rejected the concept of a subscription completely. But that's ok objectively because the rest of the game is free.

---------- Post added 2013-06-25 at 11:52 AM ----------

That doesn't change the fact that it's available at no cost in Rift.

And to be honest, since this is in the Wildstar forum, I hope that any B2P/Subscription hybrid they have follows the Tera and Rift model going forward. I want my initial purchase of the game to include just about everything I could want. It needs to have ample character slots, ample bag space, and generally no restrictions on anything else.

A subscription should provide perks and a stipend and nothing more. That's enough balue for me to justify a subscription, because it gives you preset bonuses while still giving you freedom to spend in their shop. To me, that is a perfect sytem.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-06-25 at 03:54 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Then the point still stands. Spend a little extra to get everything forever and save money in the long run or rent the stuff for $15 a month and never keep it?

Like I said, like Kitty said, like barb said. You want restrictions to justify the means of a subscription. It seems subconsciously you know this but for some reason you don't care but "subscription can do no wrong" (when there are about 3 subscription games currently being popular and successful.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Then buy all the boxes, chocolate and storm legion, and then you get like 6 bag slots and 6 character slots.
    You would have to do that if it was a subscription game.

Stop comparing spending 10 dollars in a F2P game to spending 60+ in a P2P game. Unless you spend the same amount of money in both games then you are doing a piss poor job comparing them.
    Not to prolong the off-topic discussion or anything but... if you use raptr you can earn the Storm Legion expansion from the time you play the game and get all the perks without paying for anything. It's pretty cool, you have many options

10+ Year Old Account
    i just dont want a pay to win shop like APB: All Points Bulletin, gods that was horrible, being able to buy powerful weapons that free players cant get at

ill take a Pay to shortcut system Teamfortress2 and Planet side 2 have for theirs, guns you can buy are the same somone free to play can get but they have to take longer and kill stuff to earn them
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Deleted
    Then the point still stands. Spend a little extra to get everything forever and save money in the long run or rent the stuff for $15 a month and never keep it?
    yeah i dont mind not keeping it..

Like I said, like Kitty said, like barb said. You want restrictions to justify the means of a subscription. It seems subconsciously you know this but for some reason you don't care but "subscription can do no wrong" (when there are about 3 subscription games currently being popular and successful.)
    im open to a balance between lotro model and rifts.. we all have different perceptions of value for money and no i do have problems with certain subscription models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free to play games cost more than sub based games. End of story.

I know a guy in guild who spend 500$ in a free to play game in just a single mounth. He pretty much purchased every posible *cheats*. But i wont say what game it is because it counts as advertisement.

Also to make you stop talking abauth it all the time i will just place this here:

The thing on the left is probaly a minipet.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Just because your one friend spent a ton of money in one month on a F2P game doesn't mean it has to be that way. I have played many F2P games without paying a penny. It just depends on what you want out of the game.

So basically what you meant to say was "F2P game cost more if you decide to buy every single thing you want and don't pursue getting them through other slower options, end of story".

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post

I know a guy in guild who spend 500$ in a free to play game in just a single mounth. He pretty much purchased every posible *cheats*.
    Your friend needs some self control.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Real money tradable currency is bullshit and ive never seen it work.
    It's worked in EVE for a hell of a long time. Works in EQ1/2. Works in Rift. What games are you seeing it in that it doesn't work?

but but i dont like the rift sub model.. i feel the subscription isnt worth it and isnt there a real money tradable currency. I like to support games i play and enjoy but im not going to spend money on some shit i dont want or need.. which is exactly how i feel with rift (im only low level).
    You don't need to get a patron pass though, that's the thing. It's 100% optional. Hell, you could just buy the 3 day pass for the buffs during a weekend. It's not a traditional subscription in any respect, they've altered the meaning of the patron pass to be more flexible and optional.

i think its more about value for money.. full access to the game for a month or two bag slots for a character. I think id rather have the full access and if youre going to offer a subscription then imo it should offer full access (even if its viewed as renting).
    Games like Rift give 100% of the in-game content for free FYI. You need to buy two bag slots on a character which runs about 1600 credits, and 2 character slots (to allow for all 4 souls) would be another 1400. That's 3k credits roughly and that costs $20. Now then, if you want to buy 2 additional bag slots for the other three characters, that's another 4800 credits. You could lump that all together and that's 7800 credits, which is a bit under $50. So if you wanted to remove all those restrictions, it would still be cheaper than buying a boxed copy of the game. Then if you wanted the 4 Storm Legion souls, that's another $20, given that you would have credits left over from your initial purchase. So for a grand total of $70, you remove the minor restrictions that annoy you, and get the new souls.

That's dramatically cheaper than purchasing a base game and its expansion, and then subscribing for months and months of play.

Its_not_a_subscription. They've altered the meaning of what the "subscription", which they now call a patron pass, is. It's not supposed to unlock restrictions or give you any special access to anything. It exists as a purely optional account-wide convenience boost to help you level up/gear up for end-game. That's pretty much it.

Odd, the vast majority I've played I've either spent nothing on, or I've spent $20ish on. I guess you have issues with controlling your expenditures? Because while many of the F2P games I've played definitely give me the ability to spend tons of money, I'm only purchasing the things I really want rather than anything and everything that simply strikes my fancy.

I know a guy in guild who spend 500$ in a free to play game in just a single mounth. He pretty much purchased every posible *cheats*. But i wont say what game it is because it counts as advertisement.
    Funny, because I know people who have spend a few hundred buying pets/mounts/character services in a single month in WoW. Does that mean that WoW costs more than subscription based games despite being a subscription based game itself? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!

And I'm not sure what game your friend is playing, but none of the major Western MMO's have had any kind of item/buff that even remotely constitutes P2W or "cheating" in them in recent years. There's an absolute hatred of any P2W schemes in the West, which is why developers don't put anything like that in their games.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-06-25 at 05:48 PM.

And here I was, seeing 5 new pages in the thread and hoping they released some more info.

But nope, it's the same old business model discussion again, for the 20th time in this thread alone.

Cut the crap, guys, these arguments were all used at least 10 times already.

How are people still arguing WoW isn't a F2P/B2P+Sub game just because it's free portion is extremely restrictive? It's F2P non the less (you can play.. unlimited time.. for free..), Blizzard just calls it a trial to avoid saying it's gone F2P.
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    How are people still arguing WoW isn't a F2P/B2P+Sub game just because it's free portion is extremely restrictive? It's F2P non the less (you can play.. unlimited time.. for free..), Blizzard just calls it a trial to avoid saying it's gone F2P.
    Wow...
    I figured you were joking.

If it were free to level 90 with an unlimited time, maybe we could call it F2P. Maybe.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    No one is arguing it isn't F2P/B2P+Sub, because everyone agrees it's just a subscription model game. There's literally nothing to argue about. You're the only person arguing something inane. We gave you an out, but by all means please dig a little deeper.

PS- It's also totally irrelevant as this is the Wildstar thread. You can go create a thread to argue about why WoW is whatever crazy idea you want it to be in the WoW general discussion boards.
    BAD WOLF