10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Well, that was unexpected, The game is actually lots of fun to play!

I have to admit though (and mind you, this is not a negative aspect per sé): It's IDENTICAL to WoW. Sure, the theme is Sci-Fi rather than D&D/medival, but everything else is quite literally the same.

That said, good fun!
    Everything but the combat/telegraphs, theme, crafting, skill trees,path system. Its more similar to wow than something like gw2, but its not as similar as a game like swtor or rift. It's just the right mix of old and new for it to feel fresh to me, yet recognizable. Im in love with the crafting system. I also like combat/telegraphs, but Even some mobs around level 15-20 are hectic. Sometimes a telegraph is so fast, that if Im in the center its literally impossible to get out in time. Things like that need worked on a bit more, but maybe its my internet or something. The telegraphs mostly feel like the Mortar Cannon in the Iron Juggernaut fight in wow. If you dont react literally as soon as iyt appears it hits you. You have maybe 1/4 a second reaction time. Thats fine and all, but people with bad internet connections are going to hate it. Most of the difficulty of the game is training your brain to recognize the meaningful telegraphs going on near you, and how when to avoid them.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2014-05-14 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Everything but the combat/telegraphcs, theme, crafting, skill trees,path system. Its more similar to wow than something like gw2, but its not as similar as a game like swtor or rift.
    Well, I've only played until level 8 and up to this point I'm just playing WoW with a different skin. Which is nice in a way, since it's the first MMO that actually feels solid. I'm sure you're right about everything else I haven't tried yet. What I have experienced; the graphics, the animation, the quests, the abilities, the interface, the sense of humor and even the combat, is exactly the same.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I've only played until level 8 and up to this point I'm just playing WoW with a different skin. Which is nice in a way, since it's the first MMO that actually feels solid. I'm sure you're right about everything else I haven't tried yet. What I have experienced; the graphics, the animation, the quests, the abilities, the interface, the sense of humor and even the combat, is exactly the same.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a bad thing.
    Eh, if all the spells in wow were like holy light of dawn used to be, then id agree, but having to aim your attacks and use/dodge telegraphs makes the combat miles apart from wows.

- - - Updated - - -

If they can just fix the fps issues, I may have found my new mmo (at least until WoD arives which will be next year at this rate).

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have to admit though (and mind you, this is not a negative aspect per sé): It's IDENTICAL to WoW. Sure, the theme is Sci-Fi rather than D&D/medival, but everything else is quite literally the same.
    Really? I can definitely see the influence in the art style but everything else feels a lot different to me.

EDIT: Nevermind. You clarified your statement already.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2014-05-14 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Eh, if all the spells in wow were like holy light of dawn used to be, then id agree, but having to aim your attacks and use/dodge telegraphs makes the combat miles apart from wows.

- - - Updated - - -

If they can just fix the fps issues, I may have found my new mmo (at least until WoD arives which will be next year at this rate).
    FPS issues? That's what amazed me. It runs smooth as butter in every single way. As for the abilities, yes it is true: you do have to 'aim' them. This might be subjective, but for me, it doesn't make the combat feel all that different from WoW's. Everyone was full of praise about Tera's 'revolutionary' combat too. Yet, it felt the same.

Anyway, it was fun playing it! I hope the zones will have more atmosphere as I progress, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Really? I can definitely see the influence in the art style but everything else feels a lot different to me.
    As I said, it might be subjective but it feels absurdly familiar to me. From the '/w' to the 'o' key for the social tab, etc...
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2014-05-14 at 10:57 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, it might be subjective but it feels absurdly familiar to me. From the '/w' to the 'o' key for the social tab, etc...
    Yeah, sorry about that. I asked the question before scanning the whole page.

Well, that was unexpected, The game is actually lots of fun to play!

That said, good fun!
    Maybe it's wow just because devs didn't want to change what players find fun in wow just for the sake of it like other games did, for example gw2 removed holy trinity and endgame, swtor removed open world questing by adding massive instanced phasing, tsw removed classes etc.. and none of those games managed to build a playerbase even slightly comparable to wow, on the other hand carbine took what makes wow fun (mainly strong endgame pve content) and merged it with the GOOD improvements brought by other mmos, suchs as action combat, a widely customizable skill/talent system with a limited usable set of interchangeable skills to prevent button bloat, lvl scaling in dungeons to prevent high lvl players from trivializing them, milestones on stat bars to avoid single stat stacking, free-for-all creature tagging etc...

Tldr: new and "revolutionary" stuff rarely grant success if by introducing it you abandon all those features that after 10 years still seem to work greatly, and wow subs even now that are going down are an incontrovertible evidence
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

So do dungeons make up for the awful leveling experience? Really wanna like this game but so far it's disappointingly boring. Course I'm not into pvp so that might be where the fun is.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    So do dungeons make up for the awful leveling experience? Really wanna like this game but so far it's disappointingly boring. Course I'm not into pvp so that might be where the fun is.
    They do, by all means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Maybe it's wow just because devs didn't want to change what players find fun in wow just for the sake of it like other games did, for example gw2 removed holy trinity and endgame, swtor removed open world questing by adding massive instanced phasing, tsw removed classes etc.. and none of those games managed to build a playerbase even slightly comparable to wow, on the other hand carbine took what makes wow fun (mainly strong endgame pve content) and merged it with the GOOD improvements brought by other mmos, suchs as action combat, a widely customizable skill/talent system with a limited usable set of interchangeable skills to prevent button bloat, lvl scaling in dungeons to prevent high lvl players from trivializing them, milestones on stat bars to avoid single stat stacking, free-for-all creature tagging etc...

Tldr: new and "revolutionary" stuff rarely grant success if by introducing it you abandon all those features that after 10 years still seem to work greatly, and wow subs even now that are going down are an incontrovertible evidence
    Yes and all of this has little to do with what I said. But I do agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    They do, by all means.
    Let's hope so. I haven't done much research as I just discovered the existence of this game, but what about raiding? I honestly hope they deviated from the 10-25 man mode. I'd love to do end-game content with 4 other friends, without having to manage a ridiculously large group of players. I'm just not willing to invest such large amounts of time in boring logistics, rather than actually playing a video game.

They probably adopted the WoW model though
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2014-05-14 at 11:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are not planning to do the 20/40man raids, endgame for you is (excluding PvP, because PvP is always there of course) Veteran stuff.

Veteran dungeons and adventures, really, which are 5man content.

These are not lolheroics in WoW. They are hard.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Let's hope so. I haven't done much research as I just discovered the existence of this game, but what about raiding? I honestly hope they deviated from the 10-25 man mode. I'd love to do end-game content with 4 other friends, without having to manage a ridiculously large group of players.

20 man and 40 man raids that from the vids seem to be very hard and some hard-mode 5 man dungeons, btw if you want a little taste of the difficulty of the group content in this game hit lv20 and queue for stormtalon's lair or ruins of kel'voreth and good luck (p.s. don't expect a walk in the park like deadmines or shadowfang keep...)
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2014-05-14 at 11:38 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

They do, by all means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    If you are not planning to do the 20/40man raids, endgame for you is (excluding PvP, because PvP is always there of course) Veteran stuff.

Veteran dungeons and adventures, really, which are 5man content.

These are not lolheroics in WoW. They are hard.
    I've done all heroic raid content in WoW, with exception of the last Xpac and they weren't "lol", they were hard. But maybe you're just a superior player, right?

I don't care for easy content. I want hard, nail-hard, tear-inducing content. Gathering 10/25 men, has NOTHING to do with content difficulty and everything to do with the tediousness of boring logistics. Challenging content is based on design: Quality > quantity.

But I've received my answer: 20 and 40 man raids. We're excluded from PvE again
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2014-05-15 at 12:26 AM.

Lol at wow heroics being hard

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done all heroic content in WoW, with exception of the last Xpac and they weren't "lol", they were hard. But maybe you're just a superior player, right?

I don't care for easy content. I want hard, nail-hard, tear-inducing content. Gathering 10/25 men, has NOTHING to do with content difficulty and everything to do with the tediousness of boring logistics. Challenging content is based on design: Quality > quantity.

My apologies - I didn't mean to sound elitist. :P

I am not a "superior" or "hardcore" player. I won't be participating in the raid content in this game unless my brother drags me in because I get nervous around large groups of people - I wish they'd have had 10mans. Those were good for me and my group of friends.

However, the 5man content is sufficiently challenging. The normal versions of these can be challenging before you and your friends get them down pat, but normal modes pale in comparison to the veteran modes. My friends and I were able to complete challenge modes in WoW (mostly silver, like... one or two gold? We quit before we could really get any golds down pat) and the veteran content in this game is good for us.

That said, I found the heroics in WoW to be "lol"-worthy. MoP was easy, Wrath was easy, Cata became easy because they nerfed it and you ended up outgearing them. The Veteran dungeons in this game are VERY similar to the difficulty of Cata's heroics pre-nerf and pre-gear, perhaps harder. (CC is extremely important, group coordination is important, now add action combat and voila!)

Note I'm leaving out TBC because I only played private servers in TBC and so it's not really fair to judge. ;P
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2014-05-15 at 12:12 AM. Reason: clarification
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

done full challange mode gold runs on 2 chars.

i can say for certain that dungeons in wildstar are more fun then CM.

lots of content in endgame other then raiding.

you have crafting/crafting daily,achivments,challanges,housing,dungeons,open world pve/pvp,instanced pvp,arena,warplots,some daily i assume.

and all of that is just for launch, they adding more stuff for 1.1
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

I've done all heroic content in WoW, with exception of the last Xpac and they weren't "lol", they were hard. But maybe you're just a superior player, right? (
    Only "hard" 5mans in wow have been the tbc ones before people overgeared them, and the cataclysm ones before they nerfed them and ppl overgeared them. Wrath heroics and Mop heroics were a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    FPS issues? That's what amazed me. It runs smooth as butter in every single way. As for the abilities, yes it is true: you do have to 'aim' them. This might be subjective, but for me, it doesn't make the combat feel all that different from WoW's. Everyone was full of praise about Tera's 'revolutionary' combat too. Yet, it felt the same.

Anyway, it was fun playing it! I hope the zones will have more atmosphere as I progress, though.

The fps issues are effecting people semi randomly.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hope so. I haven't done much research as I just discovered the existence of this game, but what about raiding? I honestly hope they deviated from the 10-25 man mode. I'd love to do end-game content with 4 other friends, without having to manage a ridiculously large group of players. I'm just not willing to invest such large amounts of time in boring logistics, rather than actually playing a video game.

They went further than the wow model 20/40. The dungeons are challenging, so hopefully there will be a dungeon endgame for people like you and me.

- - - Updated - - -

I've done all heroic content in WoW, with exception of the last Xpac and they weren't "lol", they were hard. But maybe you're just a superior player, right?

WoW heroics have never been hard for a coordinated group. The only time they have been even semi challenging in recent years is Cataclysm, and even then they were manageable with only a few wipes. From what ive seen from Wildstar dungeons, expect to wipe a LOT unless your in a guild group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    Only "hard" 5mans in wow have been the tbc ones before people overgeared them, and the cataclysm ones before they nerfed them and ppl overgeared them. Wrath heroics and Mop heroics were a joke.
    Wrath heroics werent a joke until 3.1 and afterwords. They were never hard, but you could wipe until you started gearing. They were fun until you outgeared them. For me, I was ultra casual and didnt outgear them on most toons until the icc5 mans. The icc 5 mans are the perfect difficulty of casual dungeons imo. Have that mode, and then a hardcore mode.

Come on, as long as you're not talking about raids, WoW heroics were absolutely faceroll. They went from remotely difficult in TBC to faceroll in WotLK, to slightly harder in Cata and in MoP they took another step down. Now they are not any harder than leveling dungeons, making them completely irrelevant. I was literally clearing them in 10 minutes 2 days after I dinged 90, and that was in LFG. This is anything but top-level content.

Wildstar dungeons are actually difficult - all of them, even entry dungeons. Hell, the first adventure was easy, but still someone in my group managed to die a few times, and killing the last boss took a few minutes. In comparison, last boss in WoW's Deadmines takes literally 30 seconds to kill. I was watching Kungen's stream today, he was doing the first dungeon, and he was actually wiping there. That's how difficult Wildstar dungeons are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on, as long as you're not talking about raids, WoW heroics were absolutely faceroll. They went from remotely difficult in TBC to faceroll in WotLK, to slightly harder in Cata and in MoP they took another step down. Now they are not any harder than leveling dungeons, making them completely irrelevant. I was literally clearing them in 10 minutes 2 days after I dinged 90, and that was in LFG. This is anything but top-level content.

Wildstar dungeons are actually difficult - all of them, even entry dungeons. Hell, the first adventure was easy, but still someone in my group managed to die a few times, and killing the last boss took a few minutes. In comparison, last boss in WoW's Deadmines takes literally 30 seconds to kill. I was watching Kungen's stream today, he was doing the first dungeon, and he was actually wiping there. That's how difficult Wildstar dungeons are.
    People were wiping in cata heroics left and right in beta. Im not sure if they nerfed the dungeons in beta or not, but on like day 3 of release when I dinged, The first dungeon I got was Heroic Throne of tides, and I spent 3-4 hours in it. We spent 2 of those wiping on that female boss that spawns tornadoes and adds you had to cc. I was frustrated, but eventually after dozens of people entered and left we found a solid group and finished the dungeon. Some of the best fun ive had in wow since the new shine wore off of being a new player.

Holy run on sentence batman. Too lazy to fix it.