15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any information on the different class abilities, talents(or whatever they are called in the game), skill system etc. ?
    And how about healing? How does it work in the game? What about gear and gear progression?

I'm pretty hyped for the game (hell, I'm usually pretty hyped for any upcoming MMO ). It looks tons of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by suffeli View Post
    And how about healing? How does it work in the game?
    Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/com...k_in_wildstar/

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 02:34 PM ----------

Another vid

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks SirRobin.
    Though I'm a bit concerned with the freeform (skill shot) healing in PvE. There will be raids, and there will be tanks. Obviously the tank should be the player taking the most damage in the raid; how do you spamheal the tank properly if you need to actually AIM all your heals. It will be quite tricky if you need to move all the time :/ And all the healing examples the dev said were basically different types of skill shot AoE heals. I wonder if there are spammable single target basic heals. There has to be, and the targeting of it must be really simple - otherwise healing will be awful
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks SirRobin.
    Though I'm a bit concerned with the freeform (skill shot) healing in PvE. There will be raids, and there will be tanks. Obviously the tank should be the player taking the most damage in the raid; how do you spamheal the tank properly if you need to actually AIM all your heals. It will be quite tricky if you need to move all the time :/ And all the healing examples the dev said were basically different types of skill shot AoE heals. I wonder if there are spammable single target basic heals. There has to be, and the targeting of it must be really simple - otherwise healing will be awful
    So...the complaining about this game being too hard has already begun...otherwise it's 'awful'? If you aren't getting it done, you aren't good enough. That's the beauty of action combat.

I can't wait to be able to not only recognize healers with greater skill, but have more responsibility be on the dps for standing where they are supposed to.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-03-23 at 07:57 PM.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks SirRobin.
    Hard to say. A lot will depend on how the boss fights play out. They've mentioned before how they want more moving involved so spam healing may actually not be an option. Or spam healing may be an option but it requires proper positioning for the healer and tank in relation to each other. We simply don't know enough about how the boss fights work yet to be able to tell.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Thanks SirRobin.
    There could be 'line of shot' instead of circle AoE heals. As above said, healing with skillshots will be far more fun and harder to master.

The spellslinger class looks interesting. Using pistols and magic together sounds fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I got a bit misunderstood here (for a reason, though) because I didn't explain my concerns thoroughly.

Healing in MMO's has come a long way in the past 10ish years. The healing abilities have evolved, players have become more skillful and I think most importantly: the healing UI has evolved the most. One of the key features of healing is the User Interface since that is where all the magic happens. Back in the days in WoW you could see some green bars moving in the Raid Frames, that was about it. Nowadays you see exact health/health deficit, your HoTs/Buffs on all targets, their defensive cooldowns and debuffs/buffs on them, class resources and so on. All this information in rather tiny IMMOVABLE square boxes on your screen. All of this information is needed, and it is presented to you well.

NOW in the Wildstar scenario. My first concern is that how do you track the health/buffs/debuffs of your raid/tank if you arent healing from the UI instead of skill shots? And if you do have a thing called raid frames - you are watching the frames and doing skill shots in the actual playground, that's just stupid design. You can't watch two places at the same time. If that's the case, like sometimes it is in raiding in WoW, people need to adapt to it. But it's still bad design.
    My second concern is this: in a normal healing scenario, in WoW for example, you need to move away from shit in the ground and heal your tank/raid from the raid frames. Okay, so... you are moving, the raid frames are not. One thing moving at a time is fine. Now in Wildstar, YOU are moving, the tank is moving and your whole raid is moving. It just becomes a mess and probably isn't a very enjoyable experience.

So, you can't see your raids health, including the tank. Not their buffs/debuffs whatever. They are all moving, you are moving. And you should aim all heals in the way of Chi Torpedo or Healing Rain in WoW. I bet you 9/10 players won't find that enjoyable. I might like it, I'm a healing freak and I like action combat, but it would be too much to ask from a newcomer to adapt to all that.

EDIT: So basically you can test in WoW if that kind of healing is fun. Turn off your raid frames. Enable friendly nameplates. Start healing. I don't think FUN is the first word that comes in to your mind when doing that. Maybe annoying, retarded and shit are closer :P
    Last edited by Puupi; 2013-03-23 at 08:21 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And if you do have a thing called raid frames - you are watching the frames and doing skill shots in the actual playground, that's just stupid design.
    No, that's a challenge of your skill level. It's not bad design, it's called engagement. No more stare at whack a mole while you wait for big letters to tell you where to move. You actually have to be awake.
    BAD WOLF

I think I got a bit misunderstood here (for a reason, though) because I didn't explain my concerns thoroughly.

Healing in MMO's has come a long way in the past 10ish years. The healing abilities have evolved, players have become more skillful and I think most importantly: the healing UI has evolved the most. One of the key features of healing is the User Interface since that is where all the magic happens. Back in the days in WoW you could see some green bars moving in the Raid Frames, that was about it. Nowadays you see exact health/health deficit, your HoTs/Buffs on all targets, their defensive cooldowns and debuffs/buffs on them, class resources and so on. All this information in rather tiny IMMOVABLE square boxes on your screen. All of this information is needed, and it is presented to you well.

NOW in the Wildstar scenario. My first concern is that how do you track the health/buffs/debuffs of your raid/tank if you arent healing from the UI instead of skill shots? And if you do have a thing called raid frames - you are watching the frames and doing skill shots in the actual playground, that's just stupid design. You can't watch two places at the same time. If that's the case, like sometimes it is in raiding, people need to adapt to it. But it's still bad design.
    My second concern is this: in a normal healing scenario, in WoW for example, you need to move away from shit in the ground and heal your tank/raid from the raid frames. Okay, so... you are moving, the raid frames are not. One thing moving at a time is fine. Now in Wildstar, YOU are moving, the tank is moving and your whole raid is moving. It just becomes a mess and probably isn't a very enjoyable experience.

So, you can't see your raids health, including the tank. Not their buffs/debuffs whatever. They are all moving, you are moving. And you should aim all heals in the way of Chi Torpedo or Healing Rain in WoW. I bet you 9/10 players won't find that enjoyable. I might like it, I'm a healing freak and I like action combat, but it would be too much to ask from a newcomer to adapt to all that.
    If it was up to me, i'd have the healers act like the Medic from Team Fortress 2. Left click on a target to iniate a constant heal, that only breaks on LOS and then have your abilities fire either down that stream or force aiming on the target.

That or go the way of Tera and have mouse-over healing that locks onto targets before firing off heals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No, that's a challenge of your skill level. It's not bad design, it's called engagement. No more stare at whack a mole while you wait for big letters to tell you where to move. You actually have to be awake.
    Well, to me it is bad design. Your argument sounds to me same as saying darts is a better game when you are blindfolded. Sure, you need more skill to actually hit something with the darts and you need to focus more. Thats more engaging sure. And you really need to be more awake. But is it more fun? No, its a bad idea and bad design.

PS. I would really like to see healing as fun aspect in action combat. But I just don't know how it should be implemented to make it actually work.

I don't know if we can really answer this question atm. The most we have about healing in WildStar is what was in the AMA, namely these two quotes.

CRB_Hugh: We allow players to specialize for healing, and healers have a variety of tools at their disposal. As a quick example:
    Do you prefer more Free Form (Skill Shot) heals or do you feel more comfortable with targeted heals? Do you want to add to your group's total damage output or would you rather focus on CC?
    As a healer you can build your Limited Action Set to fulfill any mixture of those roles.
    CRB_Clynch: Great question! Yes, a large portion of heal abilities will be telegraphed (we call this Freeform) and this is holding up very well in PVP. Landing these types of heal abilities give the caster quite a bit of satisfaction when landing that heal.
    I’d also like to take a moment to illustrate a sample of the wide variety of telegraphed (Freeform) heals we already have:

Aimed Telegraph – This is the type you are referring to in which you heal everyone in your telegraphed area shape. These shapes can be lines, cones, squares, circles, half-moons, rectangles, crosses, or any combination of those stacked on top of each other to make a new shape altogether.
    Heal Nodes – This is an ability type where you can actually spawn healing nodes in the game space. Some of these may pulse healing/buffs in that telegraphed area for a period of time. Others may be consumed by the first friendly player to run to the node.
    Movement-based – These types of abilities will actually cause your player to move across the telegraphed area (usually a line) and heal everyone in your path. This type of heal is great for getting away from enemies chasing you and healing your friends at the same time.
    I dunno. The way I see it, the only efficient way to heal in a 40 man is with at least some iteration of raidframes. Otherwise looking across a field of nameplates at roughly the same height while trying to target one person who is low on life would be almost too difficult to play effectively at a high level. It's like quarterbacks needing to be taller than the linemen in front of him so he can see the wide receivers down field to throw to. How soon before all DPS would be required to be the smallest stature while heals and tanks would be the largest? That being said, in 5 man dungeons it would easy. I've spent my time as a mystic in Tera, an aim-and-shoot method of healing is fun with that number of people and offers much more interesting gameplay for a healer than just staring at raidframes.
    Last edited by Delanath; 2013-03-23 at 08:54 PM.

Deleted
    imo i think skillshot heals will be the main focus for pvp.. they have said alt tabbing is in the game so i presume they will have similar types of heals (targeted heals). I dont think they will allow or want your typical "WoW" style spam heals.. like people have said you will have to be paying attention and at the very least have a clear view of your target.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

NOW in the Wildstar scenario. My first concern is that how do you track the health/buffs/debuffs of your raid/tank if you arent healing from the UI instead of skill shots? And if you do have a thing called raid frames - you are watching the frames and doing skill shots in the actual playground, that's just stupid design. You can't watch two places at the same time. If that's the case, like sometimes it is in raiding in WoW, people need to adapt to it. But it's still bad design.

EDIT: So basically you can test in WoW if that kind of healing is fun. Turn off your raid frames. Enable friendly nameplates. Start healing. I don't think FUN is the first word that comes in to your mind when doing that. Maybe annoying, retarded and shit are closer :P
    The Reedit AMAa that someone linked explains a lot about healing. Good read. However, another thing to remember about this and many other new games, is that they are not WoW, combat is different in Widlstar, so is tanking.
    It is no more stand and spam heals, it's up to the tank to dodge and block in addition to keeping the mob's interest directed at him/her. As such, I would imagine, direct heals may be around but doubt they will play such a big role as they do in WoW. Similarly, the Stalker for example, is an evasive tank. His tasks will revolve around keeping mobs of himself in order to keep them of you...as weird as it may sound lol I would not worry too much, considering Carbine is aiming at keeping the challange level across the content high, I'm pretty sure their UI and solutions will be there to assist a player, and not get in the way

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Current trends (WoW heroics going back to being super easy after Cata made them difficult, the continued decrease in difficulty across content in other games as well) disagree. The average person likes completing things and "winning" more than they like overcoming an extremely difficult obstacle.
    So true. Concise, absolute reality snap ;D

It's a sad world if the average person is like that. That's why people are so dumb today. Any challenge is a bad thing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    It's a sad world if the average person is like that. That's why people are so dumb today. Any challenge is a bad thing to them.
    It certainly leads to a watered down product.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    some PAX East: Day 2 footage

Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

You also have to remember that the UI is entirely mod-able.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    When people want to relax and just have fun without thinking a whole lot, they'd rather win than struggle. A lot of people game for the challenge, but a lot do it to unwind from challenging themselves at real life all day.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"