Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Does Rift have a cash shop? I think it might be the only one that doesn't.
    It sorta does, but it's not any form of traditional cash shop (it only sells collectors edition upgrades and a few services like character/guild name change).

FFXI/XIV are the only ones without any form of cash shop IIRC, at least of the bigger title games.

If a P2P game adds a cash shop, then I won't play it. That's double dipping, it's greedy and unnecessary. Even with cosmetic stuff, I still wouldn't want a cash shop to be in a P2P game(talking to you TSW, yes I know its B2P now but they had a cash shop at launch). That's just me though.

WoW has a borderline cash shop. They sell mounts, pets, character transfers, character recutomizations, name changes, faction changes, server transfers, ect. And yet Blizzard feels the need to charge you up the ass for them even though their all dealt with automaticly.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    WoW has a borderline cash shop. They sell mounts, pets, character transfers, character recutomizations, name changes, faction changes, server transfers, ect. And yet Blizzard feels the need to charge you up the ass for them even though their all dealt with automaticly.
    That's not a borderline cash shop, that is a cash shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a P2P game adds a cash shop, then I won't play it. That's double dipping, it's greedy and unnecessary. Even with cosmetic stuff, I still wouldn't want a cash shop to be in a P2P game(talking to you TSW, yes I know its B2P now but they had a cash shop at launch). That's just me though.

You've been putting your foot down on a lot of basic things lately then revoking your statement within the same page, only to reinstate it on the very next page. Is there a reason you seem so passionate about these MMOs lately? It's been like this in like 3 different MMO threads?

What's wrong with a cash shop? Virtually every MMO out there has one, only an extreme minority of them offering any kind of "pay to win" concepts or even boosts in the sligtest. The WoW cash shop is a cash shop. It's a shop that requires cash. It's not a big deal, right?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Does Rift have a cash shop? I think it might be the only one that doesn't.
    Nope.

They have a service that allows one to upgrade their edition of Rift minus the cost already paid.

So if you bought the $20 version but want to upgrade to the collector's edition you may do so for the difference in price of standard the Rift game. As you are now buying the CE it would entitle you to the CE bonuses, natch. No different than if one had bought the CE on day 1.

There is no cash shop in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    They sell mounts and extras similar to WoW, but they don't have as many options.
    Trion do not sell mounts.

They sell version of the Rift game in total.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    It sorta does, but it's not any form of traditional cash shop (it only sells collectors edition upgrades and a few services like character/guild name change).
    This is not a cash shop.

This is a cash shop expressly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-11 at 11:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the farmers market with my "so called girl-friend"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nope.

They have a service that allows one to upgrade their edition of Rift minus the cost already paid.

So if you bought the $20 version but want to upgrade to the collector's edition you may do so for the difference in price of standard the Rift game. As you are now buying the CE it would entitle you to the CE bonuses, natch. No different than if one had bought the CE on day 1.

This is not a cash shop.

Where you are correct about the selling upgraded versions of the game that get you mounts in the offer, their is "A" mount for sale in their store for $15 that dose not upgrade your account at all, its simply a mount you buy. The "Armored White War Tiger Mount" is what its called I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Q: What's Black, White and Asian all at the same time?
    A: Pandas. Easing racial tensions since 1999.

Nope.

This is not a cash shop.

http://riftgame.com/en/products/upgrade.php

That's a cash shop. From what I can tell, they're selling some sort of teleporter, an increase to primary bag size, and access to your bank anywhere, for $10 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    You've been putting your foot down on a lot of basic things lately then revoking your statement within the same page, only to reinstate it on the very next page. Is there a reason you seem so passionate about these MMOs lately? It's been like this in like 3 different MMO threads?

What's wrong with a cash shop? Virtually every MMO out there has one, only an extreme minority of them offering any kind of "pay to win" concepts or even boosts in the sligtest. The WoW cash shop is a cash shop. It's a shop that requires cash. It's not a big deal, right?
    Got no clue what your talking about. But I have issues with not thinking before talking. Lol, as you can see.
    Forget what I just said before, I wasn't thinking it was 12:30 AM and I was a zombie. I need to stop talking, I'm not good at it.

Anyways, what I find wrong with a cash shop in a P2P game is their asking you to pay a monthly fee AND to pay them money for items.

What I was saying is I don't have a problem with MMO's selling server transfers, ect.
    But what I do have a problem with is If the MMO starts selling cosmetic items, boosts,mounts, pets, or anything you can't get from the game itself.
    I hate it when people blow $25 on a mount that is almost always a reskin. For example That Retarded Horse(get that reference or be forever boring).
    That's just me though. A lot people are probably fine with all that.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2013-05-11 at 02:25 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyways, what I find wrong with a cash shop in a B2P game is their asking you to pay a monthly fee AND to pay them money for items.
    Forgive me, Stan, but B2P games do not require monthly fees.

Forever yours,
    Roger.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

It's an extra product for cash...ie cash shop. Technically all you are buying is items, since the game was already included in a purchase. Hence, cash shop.

Don't know if you're arguing semantics or....yes, they sell a mount.
    http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...ccount-center/

While I obviously don't see the game in the same light, it would be factually incorrect for me to not say they have a cash shop. Additionally, the point is not to give any sort of commentary on the game in relation, but to point out that just about every game has some version of a cash shop these days.

I actually can't think of one MMO where you can't buy something extra with cash that isn't included in the box and/or subscription.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-05-11 at 02:21 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Forgive me, Stan, but B2P games do not require monthly fees.

Forever yours,
    Roger.
    I'm so retarded. I'm portraying Stan perfectly.

Also, shut the hell up Roger.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2013-05-11 at 02:29 PM.

Anyways, what I find wrong with a cash shop in a B2P game is their asking you to pay a monthly fee AND to pay them money for items.

What I was saying is I don't have a problem with MMO's selling server transfers, ect.
    But what I do have a problem with is If the MMO starts selling cosmetic items, boosts,mounts, pets, or anything you can't get from the game itself.
    I hate it when people blow $25 on a mount that is almost always a reskin. For example That Retarded Horse(get that reference or be forever boring).
    That's just me though. A lot people are probably fine with all that.
    It's interesting how people are on both sides of the fence on what should and shouldn't be sold in an in-game store. It's one of those things I don't think could ever be debated to the point where there could be a happy medium.

I will agree that boosts should never make it into a game store, especially when we start talking about things like gold/item find boosters. Cosmetic stuff though, meh. If people want to plunk down $10 for a pet or $25 for a mount, more power to 'em. As long as store stuff doesn't effect game play, and giving anyone an advantage, the majority can ignore it and move on.

I could care less if an MMO had a cash shop and a monthly fee as long as the cash shop didn't effect game play in any way other than cosmetic, for instance I recently tried neverwinter and can't you buy diamonds from that store and just buy the best gear off the AH?

I personally played WoW from release up until 2 months ago when I quit and never bought a pet or mount from the store because they were ugly and everyone and their mother had one, I like to be somewhat unique in an MMO and just buying that shit is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me a cash shop means being able to buy things with real life money that gives you advantage in game (XP boosts, proffesion boosts and the like) - Being able to buy a few mounts, pets and other vanity stuff LIKE THAT does not really bother me.

Personally i hope Wildstar goes with a subscription based model, with faction/race changes (Payed, i dont really care tbh). I can say, for sure, that if it goes F2P i will not play it. Simply because i get a iggy (?) feeling when i play F2P games.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    For me a cash shop means being able to buy things with real life money that gives you advantage in game (XP boosts, proffesion boosts and the like) - Being able to buy a few mounts, pets and other vanity stuff LIKE THAT does not really bother me.

Personally i hope Wildstar goes with a subscription based model, with faction/race changes (Payed, i dont really care tbh). I can say, for sure, that if it goes F2P i will not play it. Simply because i get a iggy (?) feeling when i play F2P games.
    I really fail to see what real advantage an Xp boost gives to you, outside of some bizarre realm first max level stuff.

I'm not sure I really mind what kind of business model Wildstar goes for, but I guess if I had any preference it would be for a free to play game with a well done League of Legends-esq (and by that I mean no direct selling of power) cash shop, perhaps with additional subscription options for extra perks (increased auction house listings, maybe increased rested xp gain rate, that kind of stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Nbcall View Post
    Where you are correct about the selling upgraded versions of the game that get you mounts in the offer, their is "A" mount for sale in their store for $15 that dose not upgrade your account at all, its simply a mount you buy. The "Armored White War Tiger Mount" is what its called I believe.
    You're right. I thought the Korean Edition tiger mount was a 1 time thing. It's no longer in the depot or on the upgrade page. They buried it in the account page now.

But you're right. I retract that statement above; Trion sell a mount. From the Korean Edition of Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    That is not a cash shop.

One is buying the game. The whole game at various incentive levels.

It's an extra product for cash...ie cash shop. Technically all you are buying is items, since the game was already included in a purchase. Hence, cash shop.
    As above: They are selling the game w/ the option to buy the game at various price points/incentive levels.

That is not a cash shop. That is selling the game.

Point taken on the white tiger. I thought it was gone but apparently not.

Moving the goalposts a bit here, splitting hairs, etc. Pick your metaphor...$20 gets you a mount, a portal, and a pet - not the xpac. So, you can "upgrade" to more stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by CursedEmbrace View Post
    I really fail to see what real advantage an Xp boost gives to you, outside of some bizarre realm first max level stuff.

I'm not sure I really mind what kind of business model Wildstar goes for, but I guess if I had any preference it would be for a free to play game with a well done League of Legends-esq (and by that I mean no direct selling of power) cash shop, perhaps with additional subscription options for extra perks (increased auction house listings, maybe increased rested xp gain rate, that kind of stuff).
    League of Legends... I just threw up a bit...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceMonster View Post
    League of Legends... I just threw up a bit...
    So a superior business model for a game makes you sick to your stomach? What weird tastes you have.
    BAD WOLF

So a superior business model for a game makes you sick to your stomach? What weird tastes you have.
    Perhaps he meant a non-predatory, consumer friendly business model causes his breakfast to repeat?