Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Humans and Blood Elves are on top because they are the most human-like.
    Why yes. How observant of you. And the other races, which have different body types, have significantly lower representation.

But I like how you completely disregard my post because draenei aren't on top... For some reason ignoring that they are in fourth right behind the humans and elves...
    Also, based on your logic, Wildstar races should be nothing but Humans and Cassians. They are the most popular right?
    HA! Reading comprehension! Who needs it, right?

Question: does anyone complained about graphics yet? Because of all the complaing about WoW and it's "childish" graphics..
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Or maybe people just really hate all the rest of the Alliance races after Human and Night Elf.

I mean really, look at the other options. Dwarf and Gnome? Is it any shock that Draenei come out third on the alliance list with those two as the remaining options?
    Am I shocked short and stumpy is less popular than tall and curvaceous?

Is that a serious question?
    Hell, Tauren is right up there with Draenei, and is as common as Dwarf and Gnome combined. I doubt that's because teenage boys have a bovine fetish.
    Since when does "right up there" mean "two spots behind"? Plus you're ignoring that only 16% of all tauren are female and more than half of all draenei are female.

All I'm saying is that females could use more customization in their body types. The males right now are plenty varied. You have big bulky types, lean types, shaggy types. Appealing to popularity is not good justification, as there will always be least played class/race.

Having all females look like fashion show runway models removes a lot of choice. I wanted to make more savage Drakken females, or huge Granok females. Right now I can only make their faces look more savage / ugly, but they look completely out of place superimposed on supermodel bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Question: does anyone complained about graphics yet? Because of all the complaing about WoW and it's "childish" graphics..
    I thought the graphics were a bit too "childish" myself, but my opinion changed majorly during beta.
    I love the graphical style Wildstar went with as well, now.

10% vs 9%, and still as much as Dwarf and Gnome combined. C'mon, don't act like it's some huge gulf between them.

The "Female Draenei" thing would carry more weight if they were REALLY up there like Humans and Elves, but as it is it's just in the middle ground between "Human looking" races and the horrible, horrible choices that are left to alliance players.
    That and the fact is the Draenei difference is caused by the males just absolutely terribly designed. I see more Gnome and Dwarf males than I do Draenei males. The opposite is true for Worgen. If Worgen females looked more feral and savage, they would have been a lot more popular. Instead Blizzard makes them look like demented chihuahuas, which is more comical and sad than anything ugly/savage.

it would be nice to have varying body sizes for each race. For a new game you would kind of expect that, I'm surprised there isn't any options for it.

10% vs 9%, and still as much as Dwarf and Gnome combined. C'mon, don't act like it's some huge gulf between them.

The "Female Draenei" thing would carry more weight if they were REALLY up there like Humans and Elves, but as it is it's just in the middle ground between "Human looking" races and the horrible, horrible choices that are left to alliance players.
    16% of ALL tauren are female.

59% of ALL draenei are female.

Funny how you act like the 1% difference between ALL tauren and ALL draenei isn't a big deal yet you keep ignoring this.

It's not that I'm ignoring the statistic, I'm more ignoring your self-serving interpretation of it. I could just as easily say that clearly WoW is created for women with a fetish for minotaurs, because so many tauren are male.
    Except your ridiculous little example uses the numbers one race to represent the entire female fanbase. I am using the numbers of all races to represent the entire fanbase.

I don't even need to include draenei to prove my point.

1) The most sexually appealing races, humans and elves, make up half of the game's characters (at max level in August of 2010). And they are almost an even split between male and female.
    2) Including draenei this goes up to almost 2/3 of the characters, however draenei have significantly larger gap between genders in favor of females.
    3) The less attractive races make up just over 1/3 of the total characters in the game, and they are all predominantly represented by male characters (except gnomes which are closer to even but still male dominant).

So your point is....people like their characters to look better?
    Yes. That was my point. From the start. How did you manage to miss that?
    It's really not a reason to make all your character designs so visually similar. Considering how many people DON'T play the "sexy race/gender" combinations, it seems like creating a new problem to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist.
    Only if you choose to think a race/gender combination being played by less than 2% of your players isn't a problem.

You also have to take into consideration character creation options. Using the WoW example, female humans and blood elves have 3x the amount of faces and hairstyles that female trolls do. Of the literally 6 options troll females have most are unattractive, which is why 9 out of every 10 female trolls you do see are all using the same "pretty" face.

I already see this same situation occurring in Wildstar with the female Draken, who near as I can tell also have the least amount of customization available and of what exists nothing is particularly appealing. "Ugly" doesn't really work for females the way it does for males. On males it's 'scary/menacing', 'badass', or whatever. On females it's just ugly. I know there always seems to be that one person who wants the "ferocious" looking female character, but judging by the many characters I've seen in MMOs over the years they are a very small minority.

I think that in order to have a popular race you have to essentially do what WoW did with the Draenei. If the females looked anything like the males few would probably play them, but because they were made significantly more attractive they're popular. Likewise, if WoW had stuck with the alpha model of female trolls they'd be even less played than they are now. It's just not what most people want. I actually get a little annoyed at this point when I see what I consider an overabundance of "ugly" female options because I know they'll only be used by maybe 1% of the playerbase, if that. It's basically just a waste of the artist's time and dooms the race/gender to be one of the lesser played ones.

Regardless, lack of customization and then limited options within that customization are a big factor. I actually loved the trolls in WoW and really like(d) the Draken in Wildstar, but there's just so much more I can do with another race (that doesn't involve struggling to find a look that doesn't suck). :\
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-12-29 at 09:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love the graphics. It goes well with the story and feel of the game itself from what I've seen. Everyone will have different opinions, its all a matter of taste in the end.

Some people like the more gritty realistic graphics and some don't. I like how the elder scrolls online looks also, and that look fits the game and lore as well I feel.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    I love the graphics. It goes well with the story and feel of the game itself from what I've seen. Everyone will have different opinions, its all a matter of taste in the end.

Some people like the more gritty realistic graphics and some don't. I like how the elder scrolls online looks also, and that look fits the game and lore as well I feel.
    http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/upl...ameplay-10.jpg
    Looks like wow UI .

The thing is the better the grafic the more gameplay suffers.
    And cartoony fits Wild.

Wow in space.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    The thing is the better the grafic the more gameplay suffers.
    that's not true

Quote Originally Posted by Descense
    And cartoony fits Wildstar.
    but that's definitely true

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    16% of ALL tauren are female.

59% of ALL draenei are female.

Funny how you act like the 1% difference between ALL tauren and ALL draenei isn't a big deal yet you keep ignoring this.
    where the tauren womens at?

Deleted
    Oxhorn's clips are about as funny as a turd in the rain.

To me, the graphics remind me of Jak and Daxter in a way in looks and animation. To me, they're not childish. They're just a different art style.

Childish would be how I draw things. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Major Spam View Post
    Oxhorn's clips are about as funny as a turd in the rain.
    So extremely hilarious?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoomkin View Post
    To me, the graphics remind me of Jak and Daxter in a way in looks and animation. To me, they're not childish. They're just a different art style.

Childish would be how I draw things. :/
    Some people can't get past thinking cartoony equals childish.

Not that most western cartoons these days are doing anything to dispel that notion, when anything that isn't an episodic comedy can and will get cancelled without warning.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer these type of style above hyperrealistic ones. I dislike GW2 and Neverwinter becuause of the style, however i like WoW and Eden Eternal like games, because of the style again, and thus, WS* looks amazing
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*