Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post

Unfortunately the idea of MMO evolution really doesn't apply to Wildstar even though it sounded like it would. It is firmly in the AAA safe zone in regards to features and ideology save the exclusionary and limited end game development it appears to have....which may change.
    I agree that the idea of two separate games in one is just a poor way to make a modern game. WOW's success has been bad for the genre in so many ways. It's skewed financial expectations and it crippled design evolution. It's sad really.

I enjoy leveling as well but it really is a waste of dev time when you look at the big picture. I feel the same thing about gearing as a means of Power Progression but that's for a separate discussion.

In the end I'm OK with Wildstar though. It's going to be a fun ride for a few months at least.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I have no love for Kotick, but he clarified the very next day exactly what those words mean and it certainly is better in an understandable and proper context. He's not a moron. http://kotaku.com/5474949/bobby-koti...fun-statements
    I took that as someone back tracking and that his initial quote was closer to how he really feels TBH. Mainly because I've dealt with people like him in my own business.
    Last edited by mkultra55; 2014-03-26 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    New ui is much better. Not perfect, but beta is beta. I mostly want a better path-quest ui. Also be cool to have path resources on the map, though im not sure if that already exists or not.

This will seriously be the first MMO (or any game) that I have pre-ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I'm guessing many players in MMOs would actually prefer a single player game. However, they play a MMO because it gets updated regularly. A lot of RPGs are lucky to have 300 hours of game play in them. Then, you wait another 5 years for the sequel where all your progress and achievements in the original are forgotten. Plus, it's nice to go into town and chat with people after all the day's adventuring is done or sell stuff.
    Yes .. and the option to group up to do things like harder dungeons/LFR is nice to have, or the ability to ask for help to get past some tough part. WoW had to get rid of its old group quests - usually reserved for those end-of-chain quests that had you kill a really tough guy that needed five people to take him down, that rewarded you some blue item that was actually crappy by the time I started - because those old zones are simply empty now. I tried questing in Ghostlands to level up yet another Belf, found that the old group quests hadn't been touched, and also saw that I was the only player in the whole zone. So I had to go elsewhere. This was on Thrall!

Options are nice. It's nice to be able to choose between solo and group content, and of course, the updates.

The problem with group content is the schoolyard exclusion phenomenon, which I see in even WoW Flex raids, which are supposed to be pretty casual. The in-game finder only demands an ilvl of 510 - fairly reasonable, since LFR drops 528s. But I've seen so many Trade Chat LFM's that want people to have heroic level gear (550+), it's not worth bothering trying to talk to people because you think they'll just dismiss you as some "LFR scrub", and not even let you try. Fortunately, I'm happy chasing after my 528 sets. I have enough 90s - some of whom are still stuck in ToT - to keep me busy with that.

But sometimes, yeah, I don't want to wait for queues, or have to deal with groups. Sometimes I like to derp around, and know that if I have to go to the bathroom, I can just hop on a flying mount, spacebar to safety, and go.

It should be interesting to play two different MMOs now, and see how it works out wrt to social/solo balance, having new stuff to do, etc.
    Last edited by FunkyRaccoon; 2014-03-27 at 01:27 AM.

Missed dodge/sprint during raid today in WoW. Combat also felt slow after beta weekend >.< Can't wait for the next beta!

dotn forget doubble jump :P

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Missed dodge/sprint during raid today in WoW. Combat also felt slow after beta weekend >.< Can't wait for the next beta!
    Just wanting to know if my guess is correct, what class do you raid with?

A question regarding dodge, has it been improved? Last time I used it, you would dodge , but still get hit by abilities, it was basically a move to this area faster than running, but on the way, you still get hit.

GW2 did dodge far better, as when you dodged, you actually dodged stuff, it wasn't just a move here quicker button.

If this is how dodge is intended in the game, they should rename it, to leap or something.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-03-27 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Just wanting to know if my guess is correct, what class do you raid with?

A question regarding dodge, has it been improved? Last time I used it, you would dodge , but still get hit by abilities, it was basically a move to this area faster than running, but on the way, you still get hit.

GW2 did dodge far better, as when you dodged, you actually dodged stuff, it wasn't just a move here quicker button.

If this is how dodge is intended in the game, they should rename it.
    Dodge w/o temporary damage immunity is bound to cause issues cause of latency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

15+ Year Old Account

If this is how dodge is intended in the game, they should rename it, to leap or something.
    You can't be serious?

That "damage immunity while dodging" is the most idiotic form of dodging ever. Dodging is moving fast from one point to another, it should not make you a superman who can take a nuclear blast in the face and not getting damaged.

Damage immunity for 1 sec every 10 secs or so would seriously fuck up raiding, too. Think about if you had this in WoW, how pointless would all raid mechanics become?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Damage immunity for 1 sec every 10 secs or so would seriously fuck up raiding, too. Think about if you had this in WoW, how pointless would all raid mechanics become?
    Raid encounters are designed on what is available, not ignoring what is added. This is a silly analogy. It's up to the design team to make the encounter challenging. If there was immunity like you mentioned, I expect every encounter to have higher damage spikes (more penalty for messing up) or more constant damage (so that it circumvents invulnerability). I would think that would be obvious to someone who is fit to judge design as 'idiotic' as you must have a clear understanding of the full meanings of that design.
    BAD WOLF

You can't be serious?

That "damage immunity while dodging" is the most idiotic form of dodging ever. Dodging is moving fast from one point to another, it should not make you a superman who can take a nuclear blast in the face and not getting damaged.

Most invul frames are about .3 to .5 seconds.
    In action MMOs, it's sort of like a reverse skill shot. Very precise timing can result in some crazy kills.

Like vindictus's glorious 1vraid boss leaderboard.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't be serious?

Well it's impossible to dodge a nuclear blast.

As I said, if this is how dodge is intended in the game, they should rename it, as it isn't an actual dodge.

If I go to hit you with my sword, gun or whatever and you dodge that attack, I wouldn't hit you. Since you 'dodged' it.

It would also be possible to make certain skills in raid encounters impossible to dodge to stop what you said.

Anyway, it was a simple question as I wanted to know how dodge was meant to work in this game, but I see Wildstar lovers get defensive easily.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-03-27 at 03:41 PM.

Its the only reason some enemies in GW2 are killable for melees. Because you just roll and negate damage completly. I'm happy we dont see that in W*. Either your out of the telegraphs or not. Dodgeroll will just help you to reach that spot faster...

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

15+ Year Old Account
    Raid encounters are designed on what is available, not ignoring what is added. This is a silly analogy. It's up to the design team to make the encounter challenging. If there was immunity like you mentioned, I expect every encounter to have higher damage spikes (more penalty for messing up) or more constant damage (so that it circumvents invulnerability). I would think that would be obvious to someone who is fit to judge design as 'idiotic' as you must have a clear understanding of the full meanings of that design.
    Of course raid encounters are designed on what is available. But devs would be idiots if they added that kind of immunity in the game. That would make their jobs way way harder. As it seems - they are NOT idiots, because they did NOT add it to the game, which was my point.

Well it's impossible to dodge a nuclear blast.
    No it's not impossible in GW2. You can dodge out of EVERYTHING.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course raid encounters are designed on what is available. But devs would be idiots if they added that kind of immunity in the game. That would make their jobs way way harder. As it seems - they are NOT idiots, because they did NOT add it to the game, which was my point
    Different designs are just that: different. Whether we enjoy them or it requires more skill to design and then execute as a player is irrelevant really. Saying that one design is idiotic because it 'makes their job harder' is both not accurate and a little petty.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course raid encounters are designed on what is available. But devs would be idiots if they added that kind of immunity in the game. That would make their jobs way way harder. As it seems - they are NOT idiots, because they did NOT add it to the game, which was my point.

No it's not impossible in GW2. You can dodge out of EVERYTHING.
    GW2 has nuclear blasts?

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 has nuclear blasts?
    Radioactive dragons. It happened.
    BAD WOLF

GW2 has nuclear blasts?
    Why would that even make sense? He's obviously talking about the game so why would you bring in stuff that has nothing to do with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    Why would that even make sense? He's obviously talking about the game so why would you bring in stuff that has nothing to do with it?
    I didn't bring it up, he did.

Radioactive dragons. It happened.
    Oh dear...

Deleted
    You can't be serious?

Both version of dodge can work just fine, you just have to design the combat and mechanics around them.

Personally I prefer Wildstar's idea of dodge that doesn't make you immune to damage, however I find it very frustrating that you still get hit by autoattacks even if you used dodge and are clearly visually out of the enemy's reach. The moment I realized that there was no way to dodge out of autoattacks was probably one of my biggest disappointments during beta.

I think a good compromise could be making you immune to single target abilities and attacks during the dodge animation, while still being hit by AoE stuff if you are inside the AoE regardless if you are in the middle of a dodge animation or not.