Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows will not load on new motherboard

So I just bought a Asrock z68 Pro3 motherboard, with a core i5 2500k and 8 gigz of g.skill sniper series @ 1600hz.. I cheerfully ripped out the old stuff and put in the new and booted, the first error I got right at boot was windows (windows 7 ult 64bit) could not load so I did the automatic repair.. it said it didn't work so it wanted a restore so I tried that, it didn't do anything.. whenever I try to load into windows it just rebooted. So from there I did the windows command prompt under the repair and did
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    After I finished that it started the windows loading screen and just froze and rebooted...
    So I checked the BIOS, it reads everything prefectly fine.. RAM, CPU, all my HDD's... everything..

So I tried booting into a Win7 install disk to try to repair.. it was the same process.
    Then I tried a different HDD with a different OS, windows xp.. it did the same thing.. just started loading windows then froze.

I did try updating the BIOS to the newest version, and even clearing the CMOS, and repeating the steps above.. it did not work..
    So I put in a fresh HDD and tried putting Win7 on that one.. it errors halfway through installing..

finally gave up to defeat and reassembled my old comp back in.. and it works fine..
    So I have no idea what is wrong.. is this where I RMA? I sent a message to Asrock but have no idea how long it takes them to reply..
    Can any of you think of anything else I could try? I'm worried this will happen again with the replacement.

All drives are sata.
    And my psu is an antec 650w earthwatts.
    And the video is an ati radeon HD 4870 but I did try it without it being installed.
    If I could separate me from myself, I'd stay away from me..

i thought you were supposed to reinstall your os when changing motherboards

Humm, possibly though I'm not so sure with w7, even then though it was giving me errors when I tried, perhaps my disk was bad.. iirc the error was somewhere along the line of "cannot complete install some files may be corrupt"

Deleted
    Windows needs to be reinstalled after swapping so many parts.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Faced with the same situation I would reinstall windows. Drivers for the old mobo/cpu setup are still on the hdd and would probably cause a problem when booting up and trying to access something that isn't there. Just guessing though....

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time, you can boot Win7 without any problems after changing the hardware massively (e.g. mainboard swap etc.). But not always...

What a pretty good suspect for your problem is: SATA AHCI mode.
    With your old board, you probably had it set to IDE compatibility. And the standard setting in your new board is most likely AHCI mode (which should be your preferred mode, as it is a bit faster and supports some features that are not available with IDE mode). But the problem is this: If you installed Windows (doesn't matter if XP, Vista or 7) in IDE mode, then it won't be able to boot in AHCI mode (an vice versa).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Most of the time, you can boot Win7 without any problems after changing the hardware massively (e.g. mainboard swap etc.). But not always...
    Doing big upgrades like that will almost always require clean install. So far I have 4/4 failure rate, Win7 will just bluescreen and has to be reinstalled.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Frankly i never seen this happen, since XP you just need a fresh install if you swap out core hardware from your system.
    I think its more the other way around, if your lucky you can swap without re-isntalling, but most of the time you will need a fresh install.

But the OP did drop in a new HDD and tried to re-install Win7 on it with still causing errors.
    My hunch is that the mobo has a failure somewhere, tho it may be coincedential that your new HD is broke... you'd like to wipe out that possibility by using your old rig with your new HDD.. if it still causes errors then a RMA on the mobo is your friend i hope.

edit : It may be your new CPU even, maybe its broken and just goes into frenzy as soon as it needs to actively work, due cooling or whatever reason. (read : loading your OS and whatever more)
    Last edited by mmoc128e560295; 2011-08-17 at 08:24 AM.

Honestly, the biggest problem is the SATA/PATA controller drivers for the disk Windows boots from. If it's using the standard MS drivers, and both the old and new board have AHCI on, or both have it off, it will usually boot. The problem occurs when they vary in AHCI on or off, or if using a different driver for the controller. Like if your old board had an Intel Chipset with drivers, and you switched to an AMD Chipset, it would bluescreen on boot. Basically if the driver being used on the old board, is the same that can be used with the new, it will work, otherwise it won't.

The more things that change, only complicate it further.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I will give it another attempt with a better W7 disk and hope that was the cause, and about the AHCI mode, its possible the older mb didn't support it but the newer mb did support IDE setup, so don't think that would be an issue(?)

You want to use AHCI if possible. And it's not that it supports it or not as being the issue. You turn it off or on in the BIOS. If you had windows installed with the standard MS IDE driver, then flipped AHCI on in the BIOS, it wouldn't boot.

The thing most people don't understand is that when the BIOS boots the drive, it starts a small bit to get Windows going, at that point Windows takes the driver for the controller that drive is attached to and tries to finish the boot. It won't look for others, it will only try drivers that are already installed. And usually you only have the ones for the controllers you have. IE, if you force installed the drivers for the new board as a separate controller while the drive was in the old system, then threw it in the new, it would likely boot.

HOWEVER, it's still always, ALWAYS a good idea to just reinstall.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Well, thanks for the quick replies, was kinda hoping it wouldn't come to a full re-install but that was naive :P
    Hopefully this works, if not will have to wait longer to upgrade then I had hoped..
    At least the full re-install won't be so painful since I did it a few weeks ago already.

---------- Post added 2011-08-17 at 01:45 AM ----------

And going straight for the new install will set it to AHCI automatically? I can set it to that in the BIOS, but does that change the settings for the HDD aswell? or should I reformat it prior to even booting it up on the new comp?

It will install what it needs to run.

Let me say it a different way. You aren't really looking at it the correct way. The setting is for the interface. That setting is in the BIOS. The Windows install will detect the hardware and install the drivers needed. You don't set AHCI on or off for the drive. It's a controller setting.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-08-17 at 09:07 AM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even though you sometimes can boot into windows after big changes like that, you really should consider a fresh install to remove any goofiness that may come up.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Why would you NOT want a fresh install on a new setup ?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    Why would you NOT want a fresh install on a new setup ?
    laziness. too short
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Doing big upgrades like that will almost always require clean install. So far I have 4/4 failure rate, Win7 will just bluescreen and has to be reinstalled.
    I have had almost the opposite experience. I have done mobo swaps, and even straight HDD swaps to a new machine on W7 and had no problems. I have only had one fail so far that required a re-image. In OP situation, it is obvious that he needs to do a fresh install because he is an exception. I definitely recommend a fresh install for you bud, but if you need to backup some things, you can always hook the old hardware up out of the case and pull whatever files you want. Better yet, if you have a different HDD that you would like to use as a boot disk for your new machine temporarily, you can just plug your old boot drive as a data drive and pull your data that way as another option.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Windows needs to be reinstalled after swapping so many parts.
    Whenever you change the motherboard you have to install Windows from scratch. When installing a new motherboard, cpu, and memory it is 100% that you have to install Windows 7 from scratch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Whenever you change the motherboard you have to install Windows from scratch. When installing a new motherboard, cpu, and memory it is 100% that you have to install Windows 7 from scratch.
    Not really. I didn't. The thing that you have to do is reset your SATA controllers to Windows default SATA controllers. Otherwise, when the system boots, it will be looking for the ports specific to the old motherboard type and cause you to blue screen every time. If you don't do this before the motherboard swap, you have two choices: put the old motherboard back in temporarily or re-install Windows. This also explains why the OP had issues with the recovery CD as well as booting from HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Not really. I didn't. The thing that you have to do is reset your SATA controllers to Windows default SATA controllers. Otherwise, when the system boots, it will be looking for the ports specific to the old motherboard type and cause you to blue screen every time. If you don't do this before the motherboard swap, you have two choices: put the old motherboard back in temporarily or re-install Windows. This also explains why the OP had issues with the recovery CD as well as booting from HDD.
    ^ Read this please people? Basically what I said earlier in the post.