Prot Pally BfA Changes

All the tanks are scheduled for changes, and their overall intent seems to be avoiding the disparity in tank balance we've seen in Legion. It's early days, nothing is even close to being final, so obviously there's no reason to over-react to any particular specifics.

That said, I am curious about what they are trying to do with LotP and HotP. They won't heal equally, apparently? Also the healing will be based off a flat amount? The figure quoted is surely a placeholder, but any flat amount - as opposed to % of damage or % of health - seems destined to scale poorly.

Protection:
    • Shield of the Righteous: Slams the target with your shield, causing Holy damage, and reducing damage you take by 25% increases armor by 125% for 4.5 sec.
    • Light of the Protector: Calls down the Light to heal you for 30% of your missing health. 1,678, increased by up to 200% based on missing health. While standing in consecration, its effects are increased by 20%.
    • Hand of the Protector: Calls down the Light to heal a friendly target for 30% of the target's missing health. 1,398, increased by up to 200% based on missing health. While standing in consecration, its effects are increased by 20%.

Source: Battle for Azeroth Class Ability Changes on the Demo Floor
    Last edited by Brewmaster Kolee; 2017-12-04 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Formatting for clarity, then added link to source.

"Remember it's a game. Have a beer buff. Chill." ~ Brewmaster Kolee

Judging by those numbers I can tell they really don't like the ability to LoH other party members on a sub 10 second cooldown. Probably fair.

I'm more concerned with SotR not doing anything for magic damage anymore. I've always felt Holy Shield should be baseline or an ability that's like SotR that you'd use instead or something, so if either of those things happen to compensate that's fine I suppose.

So they are nerfing our active mitigation and our offhealing. I wait to see what exactly we are going to get in return.

I doubt we're getting anything in return for no longer being able to throw a Lay on Hands at party members every ~10 seconds, tbh.

I can't see us not getting something else to compensate for no longer being able to block magic damage without talenting into it, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    So they are nerfing our active mitigation and our offhealing. I wait to see what exactly we are going to get in return.
    Now that's the million dollar question!!

One thing I saw was Devo aura coming back as a passive effect, armor is good, we defo need that, and I also agree with a nerf on SotR effect, but at the same time they need to equalize the intake damage outside of SotR, cause atm this is our Achilles heel. Spiky spiky, spiky is the one description I am hearing from all the healers I know every time they have been healing a prot pala through out Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brollgarth View Post
    Now that's the million dollar question!!

One thing I saw was Devo aura coming back as a passive effect, armor is good, we defo need that, and I also agree with a nerf on SotR effect, but at the same time they need to equalize the intake damage outside of SotR, cause atm this is our Achilles heel. Spiky spiky, spiky is the one description I am hearing from all the healers I know every time they have been healing a prot pala through out Legion.
    And you know, once upon a time, prot paladin was known as the smoothest tank to heal

Oh yeah! What really gets me is that somehow a shield and plate armor have been reduced to paper

And again, the SotR effect is TOO OP as it is, and there is no need for that. By far the strongest (mitigated value) of the AM tools when it's up.
    But the cap of the uptime, the 3 charges and the fact that we NEED to be in melee range to activate it, are all signs that the SotR is badly designed and the "corrections" it received through the expansion only enhanced the problem, not diminished it. Add to that, the 10% buff on the HP was needed, but it is too little.
    Seraphim although impressive as an visual and dps effect, has little mitigation value mainly because it enhances the lack of SotR uptime leaving the righteous protector the obvious choice for progression.

In short, over complicating the entire class with an end result (when it comes to survival) that has MUCH to be envy of the majority of tanks out there atm. So when I heard at Blizzcon that the classes aren't going to be reworked much, I was crying inside :P

I honestly hope they fix the prot pala for BFA, cause as it is now it's a mess.
    Last edited by Brollgarth; 2017-12-05 at 08:51 AM.

Oh yeah! What really gets me is that somehow a shield and plate armor have been reduced to paper

And again, the SotR effect is TOO OP as it is, and there is no need for that. By far the strongest (mitigated value) of the AM tools when it's up.
    But the cap of the uptime, the 3 charges and the fact that we NEED to be in melee range to activate it, are all signs that the SotR is badly designed and the "corrections" it received through the expansion only enhanced the problem, not diminished it. Add to that, the 10% buff on the HP was needed, but it is too little.
    Seraphim although impressive as an visual and dps effect, has little mitigation value mainly because it enhances the lack of SotR uptime leaving the righteous protector the obvious choice for progression.

In short, over complicating the entire class with an end result (when it comes to survival) that has MUCH to be envy of the majority of tanks out there atm. So when I heard at Blizzcon that the classes aren't going to be reworked much, I was crying inside :P

I honestly hope they fix the prot pala for BFA, cause as it is now it's a mess.
    I agree, SotR IS too strong which is why it has so many limitations some of which are truly problematic (I mean, fuck melee range only). I mean while the other tanks have fairly organic design prot paladins are a two trick pony; we have OP active mitigation with mediocre uptime, our cooldowns are all quite weaker than our active mitigation and only there to stack them on top of it and we have extreme offhealing capability with the right legendary and talents (and it's really extreme, I know it doesn't get depicted on logs that well but I have consistently been able to save people from mistakes that would have cost healers a cooldown to save).
    I will hate losing the latter because it is a playstyle I enjoy immensely but the former admittedly has to change.

I understand where you are coming from with the hand of the protector, and lore wise it holds so true to the paladin role that I cannot help agreeing with you there.
    But if I had to sacrifice two things to get one thing back...those would be HotP and SotR (redesign), for a smoother damage intake than the paper kite it feels at the moment.

To me, the devs should finally address this, and stop the haste building mentality. Yes it feels fun to play, but as MoP showed, it can get ridiculous really fast and then it stops being a tank. Did I cheese the meters back then? Hell yeah I did, it was too much fun not to, but right now, even though I can pull numbers that other tanks can't, I cannot even tank KJ on mythic without having a heart attack on EACH felclaw application :P
    So I ask you, which of the two is more fun?

Probably nothing, druid tanks must stay #1 for all time. Make pally tanks obsolete, just like they were in vanilla. But seriously I hope they do something interesting with all pally specs.

I understand where you are coming from with the hand of the protector, and lore wise it holds so true to the paladin role that I cannot help agreeing with you there.
    But if I had to sacrifice two things to get one thing back...those would be HotP and SotR (redesign), for a smoother damage intake than the paper kite it feels at the moment.

To me, the devs should finally address this, and stop the haste building mentality. Yes it feels fun to play, but as MoP showed, it can get ridiculous really fast and then it stops being a tank. Did I cheese the meters back then? Hell yeah I did, it was too much fun not to, but right now, even though I can pull numbers that other tanks can't, I cannot even tank KJ on mythic without having a heart attack on EACH felclaw application :P
    So I ask you, which of the two is more fun?
    Honestly I'd just like AM to matter less but I think the other tanks should get closer to our uptime. I mean with proper gear and rotation most tanks can just have AM up all the time and where is the fun with that? I feel I am paying quite more attention to the boss with my paladin because it's so much easier to get caught without mitigation up than e.g. on my druid. They should just make AM a bit weaker and balance things around that. But I want to keep my offhealing

Why should there be some kind of compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Why should there be some kind of compensation?
    We are currently the weakest tank on live

Yeah but it would all depend on what other changes there would be.

Yeah I agree, we shouldn't have to sacrifice things, but following the dev teams throughout the years, you know it's always like that

But honestly, the spec just needs a little bit of love from them and it will be perfect, I just hope they see to it this time.

Easily fixed by nerfing the other tank specs Especially bears.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Easily fixed by nerfing the other tank specs Especially bears.
    New expansion means new balance between specs always. The only issue is we got a tiny glimpse of the changes that are coming and those changes are nerfing our only real strengths while the nerfs for the other classes are not nearly as important (since a lot of their mitigation comes from passives/long cooldowns instead of active mitigation)

Really hope we get some mayor overhaul with these announcements and the current state of our tankingspec.
    We have such bad mitigation outside of soth + the lack of mobility in all specializations.
    PvP was a big No go for me this xpack.
    Paladin will allways be my main, I just really hope they don't screw us anymore for Bfa.
    Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the undead, and the mayor of a little village up the coast. Very scenic during spring time. You should visit sometime