Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    They made WoW a kiddie game with this change. I for one, have decided to take a break until Blizzard moves back to the greener pastures. My guild is not happy with me, we were supposed to do Baleroc attempts tonight so we could finally get a second boss down. NOT ANYMORE haha.

Kiddie game REALLY??? you call it a kiddie game, not having downed more then a single boss, this far into FL?? Stop kidding yourself. If anything the change was done for people like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggietails View Post
    You don't find Shadowmourne in PvP, it finds you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungit View Post
    So, with the recent hotfix making threat a non-issue, are you planning on changing your playstyle?

I've been considering switching to Seal of Insight and using a spec oriented around survivability; I figure at this point I can either contribute (a little) to DPS, or contribute (a little) to my own survivability via Word of Glory and the associated talents; like so.

What're the rest of you thinking?
    My spec stays the same, I've already been using the WoG spec. I just switched some gear around to loose some +threat stuff and pick up more straight mitigation. The thing that was helpful about the changes was how it stopped dps warriors from constantly pulling off us.

PS. I already use SoI at times, not up all the time mind you, but I seal dance regularly. It's very easy to land a judge with SoI and switch back to SoT to keep your 5 stacks up. I just do it when I'm low on mana from pop'n stuff like a consecrate or holy radiance. Don't really use it for the heal to be honest.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    No change. Pushing out the most dps is still my goal. Healing is really easy in Cata so I really see no reason to make healers have an easier job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungit View Post
    So, with the recent hotfix making threat a non-issue, are you planning on changing your playstyle?

I've been considering switching to Seal of Insight and using a spec oriented around survivability; I figure at this point I can either contribute (a little) to DPS, or contribute (a little) to my own survivability via Word of Glory and the associated talents; like so.

What're the rest of you thinking?
    On my Warrior I now tank while watching TV long as I thunderclap and shockwave every once in a while nothing is leaving me, On top of that I can do it in w/e stance I want now. This was a pathetic change never should have happened at all threat needed a small buff not this big and now with this the vengeance stacking isn't even an issue at all.

TLDR

Cata tanking has been made so easy yet they still didn't fix the real issue Hit/Exp being ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

^^^^^^^^^.

In a sort it trivialized good tanks from bad, however the good will only show when it's time to react quickly to things on the move. The change shouldn't have changed the overall threat modifier from x3 to x5. The vengeance change would've been plenty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inclusion View Post
    In a sort it trivialized good tanks from bad, however the good will only show when it's time to react quickly to things on the move. The change shouldn't have changed the overall threat modifier from x3 to x5.
    Nothing changed really. Bad tanks still can't hold agro(all those blue-geared pugs in random heroics). Good tanks still can't hold agro without str/agi prepot with BL in the start of the fight.
    But it became better than it was. Finally I don't have to use threat-reducing abilities to stay alive at fight start.

so whats this mean with hit/exp?
    are we still stacking as much mastery as possible and ignoring hit/exp? or we going to start to balance the 2/3? I know it sounds like a noob question, but im just curious at the moment.

everyone saying 'threat has never been an issue in raiding' should realize that thats obvious.... VERY obvious. what this change does is make it so when a 378 geared dps joins a random heroic and the tank is like 350 geared.... basically making it so really undergeared (or bad) tanks dont completely gimp an entire run based on their threat gen.

Ha, I love the people that included Eternal Glory in their 'healing/survivability' builds. Eternal Glory is a threat talent, and a terrible one at that. It should be skipped by all prots.

Quote Originally Posted by Allerik View Post
    are we still stacking as much mastery as possible and ignoring hit/exp? or we going to start to balance the 2/3? I know it sounds like a noob question, but im just curious at the moment.
    it means you can still ignore hit/exp like you previously should have been doing before the change. threat is a joke now, even more so then it was

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    it means you can still ignore hit/exp like you previously should have been doing before the change. threat is a joke now, even more so then it was
    what I figured. and still ignoring it....

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    On my Warrior I now tank while watching TV long as I thunderclap and shockwave every once in a while nothing is leaving me, On top of that I can do it in w/e stance I want now. This was a pathetic change never should have happened at all threat needed a small buff not this big and now with this the vengeance stacking isn't even an issue at all.

TLDR

Cata tanking has been made so easy yet they still didn't fix the real issue Hit/Exp being ignored.
    I don't get that attitude. Holding threat was never a hard part of tanking. Did you really have a hard time holding threat previously? I haven't had a hard time holding threat for anything on my warrior since level 70 when it was ridiculously hard to tank more than a few mobs. This change did nothing for my tanking on my warrior. My goal is still the same: take the least damage while doing the most damage. I'd never even think of watching TV while tanking because I enjoy tanking much more than I enjoy watching TV and I'm still pushing sick damage as a warrior tank.

I'd boot you out of my group if your damage was as low as you make it sound. People with your attitude are baffling.

---------- Post added 2011-08-19 at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Allerik View Post
    Blizzard has said they want hit and expertise to be stats that relate to the survivability of a tank. We'll see if and when that happens. I hope it happens. I miss the days when I was hit capped and 26+ expertise as a tank.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    I don't get that attitude. Holding threat was never a hard part of tanking. Did you really have a hard time holding threat previously? I haven't had a hard time holding threat for anything on my warrior since level 70 when it was ridiculously hard to tank more than a few mobs. This change did nothing for my tanking on my warrior. My goal is still the same: take the least damage while doing the most damage. I'd never even think of watching TV while tanking because I enjoy tanking much more than I enjoy watching TV and I'm still pushing sick damage as a warrior tank.

I'd boot you out of my group if your damage was as low as you make it sound. People with your attitude are baffling.

---------- Post added 2011-08-19 at 03:22 PM ----------

Blizzard has said they want hit and expertise to be stats that relate to the survivability of a tank. We'll see if and when that happens. I hope it happens. I miss the days when I was hit capped and 26+ expertise as a tank.
    Since you don't understand let alone make any sense I'll explain it to you bluntly, They made the tanking so easy any idiot can do it without trying. Nowhere in my post did I say I couldn't hold threat my post doesn't even for a moment say I had trouble, what it says is blizzard continues to ignore the problem and make changes that weren't needed.
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

I've responded to the change by not switching into my threat gear for anything except alysrazor.

Deleted
    in a word. "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ"

This thread needs to be left alone.

switching to that seal = 10 expertise lost = less holy power from crusader strike = less wog's the mini heal from seal is almost useles as it's 1%~ of your hp if it procs which it doesn't much at all expecialy as your geting parried and dodged a lot more without the 10 expertise that truth gives.
    Which would mean something *IF* there wasn't a 20 second cooldown on WoG. Even with 10 less expertise, the chances of not having 3HP for WoG if you use it for WoG exclusively (outside of the initial pull. Still gotta do that!) is pretty low.

Threat was never an issue, increasing threat, still not an issue changes nothing.
    Pre-pot + Nuke CD's + Heroism - Tricks/MD = Threat is an issue. Technically, under these circumstances, still is, just less so. The threat change was mainly for tanks in RDF who can't hold threat either because they outgear the instance too severely to build vengeance, or the DPS outgear them so badly they would never be able to hold threat. If your DPS in a raid were threat capped, either you're doing something VERY wrong as a tank, or they are doing something VERY right and I would like your DPS in my raid...

The only change this makes is DPS now needs to wait a little bit less before going crazy on the boss. Who cares? 5 man puggers?
    Umm. Yes? Silly question. "Who cares about giving food to starving kids in Africa? Starving kids in Africa?" is asking basically the same thing.

Yeah, on a raid i was at 3000% over the next person instead of 2000% WOW. GAME SHATTERING CHANGES.
    Congratulations. Changes to threat not meant to affect you didn't affect you. Would you like a cookie?

Nah, someone needs to get it through to blizz that
    1) vengeance sucks.
    I think it's great. You mean I no longer need 3 hunters in a raid solely doing MD on me and no longer need to stack Salv on all the DPS? WIN.

2) hit/expertise sucks for tanks who want to gear for being better surviving tanks
    Which they acknowledged. Now you're just whining.

3) no raid tank has threat issues. none.
    Which is why the changes to threat weren't for Raid tanks. Considering they want threat to be a non-issue, a baseline and fairly easy pass/fail mechanic, this means they did it right.

4) having vengeance be some magical number based on incoming damage sucks
    Sure does. Which is why they fixed it so folks who can't maintain vengeance can still maintain threat.

5) to play different "styles" of tanks, you have to roll different classes. Want to fly around like harry potter? roll a warrior. Want to spam self healing? DK. (somehow it is DK and not paladin? DERRRP.) So giving everyone reactive mitigation is just a way to press a button to do something over it just being there naturally. WOW FUN.
    I somewhat agree that it's pretty stupid that a DK is based around self-healing, not a Paladin. But Paladins have been a block tank since they've been tanks. DK's, being a NOT block tank needed some sort of mechanic. As for the second part, they wanted to marginalize threat as an issue. Active mitigation means you can't pull the boss then go AFK.

This topic isn't really about the threat changes themselves, frott .. there're a ton of threads already up in other forums about that .. it's about how best to take advantage of the threat changes to maximise the efficiency of our prot Paladins.
    As a raider, there is no change, except you're less likely to lose aggro on the initial pull. Nothing more, nothing less.

if you're at the top of the dps meters on raids, i don't know what your dps is doing.
    Or you're tanking Alysrazor

Threat wasn't previously an issue as I was specced/glyphed to maximise my threat output so that I could stay above those 30k+ frost DKS/fury warriors while ignoring hit/expertise on my gear in favour of mitigation/avoidance stats.
    Which was doable in any realistic tank build anyways. Survivability is most important, unless your healers are snoozing because they have nothing to do, but you're hitting enrage timers.

They made WoW a kiddie game with this change.
    Considering they *PLAN* on making tanks worry more about managing survival than threat, not really. Again, this change was pushed to help tanks that can't hold threat NOW because they have 25-30k DPS in their 5-mans ripping threat off them. Hell, wasn't uncommon to see me push 2-3k vengeance in 5 mans, so it helps overgeared tanks in 5 mans as well. The fact that overgeared tanks no longer have to take their pants off makes this a kiddie game? Well, I for one look forward to never seeing a gnome warrior without pants tanking my instances

I don't get that attitude. Holding threat was never a hard part of tanking.
    Tell me about it. Any raid tank complaining about this is just whining. Either you were a very bad tank and don't know how to play, or your DPS were gods. Those are the only reasons this change affects a raid tank.

Since you don't understand let alone make any sense I'll explain it to you bluntly, They made the tanking so easy any idiot can do it without trying.
    Yea. Because the only difference between a good tank and a bad tank was how much aggro they generate, right? There is only one measure of a tanks effectiveness in raids after all, and the ability to mitigate damage, use cooldowns at the right moment, move the boss where you need to, reset stacks on shannox, avoid bad stuff, ect, all plays no role in how good a tank is. Right? No sir, you're just advancing a line of thought that has no merit. This threat change changes nothing for raiders. This threat change was not MEANT to change anything for raiders. The "problems" you speak of aren't something to fix in a hot-fix. It's a redesign. You're upset that a hotfix to make 5 mans suck less isn't a complete redesign of tanking? You're bitching at the guy doing an oil change on your car for not including a free engine swap. Pretty much everything you bring up in this thread has no merit in this discussion. It's a seperate discussion.

Deleted
    The only fight where I've currently had any issues threat-wise was Ryolith, only because tanking sparks vs Arc Nage and frags vs DKs can be tough if your initial 1-2 abilities miss. This change helps with that, and I guess with trash. Otherwise threat was never an issue before and it isn't an issue now, so this changes nothing. I guess it will help a little with DPS throttling for the first ~15 sec on Baelroc and Domo, but that was already easy enough with proper taunts.

Where this change will make a difference is 5 mans, those will be a lot easier to AoE tank even with 3 DPSers all single targeting separate mobs. Basically you can snooze through any run now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
    Yea. Because the only difference between a good tank and a bad tank was how much aggro they generate, right? There is only one measure of a tanks effectiveness in raids after all, and the ability to mitigate damage, use cooldowns at the right moment, move the boss where you need to, reset stacks on shannox, avoid bad stuff, ect, all plays no role in how good a tank is. Right? No sir, you're just advancing a line of thought that has no merit. This threat change changes nothing for raiders. This threat change was not MEANT to change anything for raiders. The "problems" you speak of aren't something to fix in a hot-fix. It's a redesign. You're upset that a hotfix to make 5 mans suck less isn't a complete redesign of tanking? You're bitching at the guy doing an oil change on your car for not including a free engine swap. Pretty much everything you bring up in this thread has no merit in this discussion. It's a seperate discussion.
    No actually what you are doing is making assumptions and imo you just made yourself look like a complete ass. I'm not talking about a redesign I tend to believe you don't know what I'm talking about so you just posted a bunch of meaningless babble.

I personally have no plans to change my current spec. All my talents are rather useful and while word of glory is nice, the extra talents wont make a terribly big difference whether you live or die. Doing extra DPS on some fights can make or break them (especially when you have seen some sub 100k wipes in your time). Paladin tanking won't change much unless they decide to remake it again.