Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why are some people slow drivers?

Hello everybody I just read this thread about bad drivers and it got me thinking, WHY do slow drivers drive so slow? I'm going to write down my thoughts on everything to do with it and I'm hoping that people can give me their opinions and maybe even explanations for the need to drive slow.

The way I see it speed limits in the USA are way too low. The main road in my town is almost completely straight and the limit is only 35, since its straight when its empty I go anywhere from 60-80mph and its completely safe. Yes, its completely safe and that's an indisputable fact, its a straight road with no stop lights, signs, kids, deer, dogs, horses, or even cops. There is however the occasional biker. Traffic flows around 50ish. Now one day I got on the road and I was stuck behind somebody doing 35. Not only did I feel like my head was about to explode, but there were at least 6 cars including myself behind that one car who felt the need to do the limit.

So it got me thinking, WHY IS SHE DRIVING SO SLOW? There are no cops, and even if there were the universal rule is that you can go 10 over and still be as safe as if you were doing the limit. On top of that traffic flow is regularly around 50mph every day, and this person is deliberately refusing to do that. So in total she is slowing down traffic flow and pissing off a good 10 people or more, IMO that should be a bigger crime than speeding.

My thoughts are that she is very inconsiderate and selfish without even knowing it, she probably thinks she's doing the right thing by not speeding, and that she's a bad driver because she can't handle going over 35 on a straight empty road.

So my question is this, why do YOU think people only do the limit/drive slow? Any responses from people that are slow drivers would be great too, I'm not specifically looking for somebody to argue with, I just need a lot of help understanding this phenomenon.

Lots of reasons could exist. Maybe their car is bad and they don't want to push it too hard, or maybe they just stole an exotic lizard from a local pet shop and don't want to be pulled over. More likely though, I think, is drivers are too timid to drive properly. Cars scare them because they can get hurt, and this fear causes them to drive overly slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it hard to believe it's 35 mph if it's not at least a semi residential area, and not just some back road. If there are houses around then the speed limit is set low in case people go into the road, and you can't stop in time.

As to people who go below the speed limit, I'd rather have people who don't feel comfortable doing the speed limit go slow than go faster than they feel capable of.

The car is an incredibly deadly weapon, and it's better to be safe than say "I can go this fast and be in control... if nothing unexpected happens that is."

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking why some people drive slow is like asking why some people eat slower than others. There could be a whole range of reasons. Things like a shitty car, too nervous, drunk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    The car is an incredibly deadly weapon, and it's better to be safe than say "I can go this fast and be in control... if nothing unexpected happens that is."
    I feel that safe driving speed scales linearly with driver skill, depending on the environment. Driving too slow is more of a safety hazard than a skilled driver going fast.

This seems to be more of a problem of bad design over slow drivers.

I will say the obvious and know that I'll get trolled for it, but did you ever think that they were driving slow because...you know...it's the law?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because that's the law?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I feel that safe driving speed scales linearly with driver skill, depending on the environment. Driving too slow is more of a safety hazard than a skilled driver going fast.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Somebody asked if it was semi residential, and yes it kind of is. There are driveways that people have to drive out and in of. I just think that the limit needs to be increased in many areas because its just outdated. Take the highway for example, the limit on ours is 55 but left laners go 80 regularly and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Because that's the law?
    Well in some cases drivers go too slow. Say for instance you're driving down a highway and the limit is 65. The person in front of you is going at a steady pace of 50 tops.

its isnt a speed recommendation its a speed LIMIT. are you going to pay my few hundred dollar fine when i get caught driving at rediculous speeds like that.

edit : i always drive the speed limit, i never go under it but always on it

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlerr View Post
    I just think that the limit needs to be increased in many areas because its just outdated.
    Well there's your answer, it has nothing to do with slow drivers (though I will completely agree that if there were a number of people behind her it would have been wise to speed up).

Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden View Post
    Well in some cases drivers go too slow. Say for instance you're driving down a highway and the limit is 65. The person in front of you is going at a steady pace of 50 tops.
    That's completely different. If the limit is 65 and you're going 15 under, that's bad. If the limit is 35 and you're going 35...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    So someone was doing the speed limit and you are upset? I could understand going under, but the fact of the matter is not all cops give you the 10mph benefit. I've been pulled over for going 1 mph over. Yup 26 in a 25 and I got a ticket. I could understand if you said they were doing 10 under or something but doing the speed limit and having someone be upset because they want to speed is just hilarious. PS be glad it wasn't me when people pull that ride on your bumper routine to make me go faster I slow down. You don't own the road and going the speed limit is the correct thing to do. IF you are in such a hurry maybe get up 10 minutes sooner so you don't have to worry about how slow someone is going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Slow driving is not a hazard, people being impatient and reckless to get around the slow driver are the hazard.

And most people who think that they can go 20+mph over the speed limit are just deluding themselves, and really just relying on luck that nothing expected comes up. Good driving is not knowing to accelerate into turns, or to go a little on gas to get out of a spin. Good driving is knowing that there are things outside of your control, and making sure that you are able to deal with it if a little kid runs out in the road in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden View Post
    The limit may be 65, but there is also a minimum speed. This is the reasons for separate driving, passing and merging lanes.
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

1: Because it's a woman
    2: Because they're old
    3: Because they're an old woman
    4: Because they know I'm in a rush
    5: Because they just want to piss me off (clearly)
    6: Incompetence
    7: Because they aren't in a rush to get where they're going and are inconsiderate of those who are
    8: Because they dont know what the outside lane is for

......... ran out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsilly View Post
    The limit may be 65, but there is also a minimum speed. This is the reasons for separate driving, passing and merging lanes.
    Yes but the case being is the slower driver is in a passing lane and you are coming up to other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsilly View Post
    Minimum speed in most states is 15 under the speed limit on the highway, going 50 in a 65 is not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Endler89 View Post
    So someone was doing the speed limit and you are upset? I could understand going under, but the fact of the matter is not all cops give you the 10mph benefit. I've been pulled over for going 1 mph over. Yup 26 in a 25 and I got a ticket. I could understand if you said they were doing 10 under or something but doing the speed limit and having someone be upset because they want to speed is just hilarious. PS be glad it wasn't me when people pull that ride on your bumper routine to make me go faster I slow down. You don't own the road and going the speed limit is the correct thing to do. IF you are in such a hurry maybe get up 10 minutes sooner so you don't have to worry about how slow someone is going.
    26 in a 25 - well you shouldnt have paid it! Speed camera's/traffic cams arent that accurate and hence a 10% buffer is generally required (ie 44+ in a 40, or in your case 28+)

If you're driving with nobody else around it doesn't matter how fast or slow you go, but when there is a line of people behind you don't you think something is wrong? Even when I was learning to drive I would feel very guilty because people had to wait because I sucked. It's like people waiting on you before they pull a boss because you decided to go afk when everybody else is ready to pull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are some people fast drivers?