10+ Year Old Account

Checking my laptop's power

Hey!

I bought a laptop about 5 months ago (it's an Acer one, I'll try to find the actual model), but I've only used it for watching some movies, with some photoshop thrown in.
    Lately I've been wondering about its power.

The specs are:
    i7 2630QM 2.0Ghz, 6MB L3 Core
    4GB RAM DDR3
    Nvidia GT 540M 2GB
    750GB HDD.

I was somewhat concerned about the GPU.
    I tried googling a GPU ranking and came up with this but I'm not really sure if it's accurate (it ranks GTX 580, 570, 480 and 470 higher than GTX590 and Radeon 6990 :/).

So, what you can say about my laptop?

EDIT: I'll be playing some gaming and using photoshop and autocad on-the-go (along with some web designing if I decide to learn php, but that shouldn't be to demanding)
    Last edited by Zkeya; 2011-08-18 at 10:11 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Should be able to play WoW on medium to high settings with AA / Shadows turned off. The GT540M isn't the greatest GPU but in a laptop she does the trick. Can expect at least 2 to 3 years of reasonable FPS while gaming.

The cpu is about the best you can get on a laptop.
    The 540m is reasonable for a laptop. If you play games like wow/sc2/etc you'll have no problem. crysis, metro 2033, bf3, etc will really strain it though.
    It's hard to benchmark laptop gpu's since you can't swap them out... but here's a pretty good benchmark looking at all sorts of games
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compute...s.13849.0.html
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    I'd hazard a guess your laptop is the Acer 5750G, the upgraded version of my own (see signature). Running at native resolution, 1366*768, it can run WoW no troubles at all, never dipping below 60fps from what I've seen, doing 10 man raids (it probably will doing 25 man raids if that's what you're aiming for).

I got this a couple months back, and I really still love it. Although I quit WoW, it's still a great laptop, and with the right power management mode, has a decent enough battery life to last, while being able to handle a few games I throw at it at max settings (Portal 2 and Street Fighter at the moment). With the lower resolution of the laptop however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scryus View Post
    I'd hazard a guess your laptop is the Acer 5750G, the upgraded version of my own (see signature). Running at native resolution, 1366*768, it can run WoW no troubles at all, never dipping below 60fps from what I've seen, doing 10 man raids (it probably will doing 25 man raids if that's what you're aiming for).

I got this a couple months back, and I really still love it. Although I quit WoW, it's still a great laptop, and with the right power management mode, has a decent enough battery life to last, while being able to handle a few games I throw at it at max settings (Portal 2 and Street Fighter at the moment). With the lower resolution of the laptop however.
    Yeah it's AS5750G with some other numbers following

The battery was able to last 5-6 hours of video playback (not HD though). Good to know that it can run some stuff!