Thread: Faction bias

Deleted

Faction bias

Miscellaneous
    Faction Bias
    Many games out there tend to have a "good/honorable" faction and an "evil/dark" faction. We've strayed from that formula after evolving the Horde and Alliance stories through Warcraft I-III and World of Warcraft.

The point is there is moral ambiguity on both sides, even while, at a glance, the Horde would appear more savage and the Alliance would appear as the more traditional good guys. We like having more character depth than that. We like fusing both factions with moral and political ambiguities. Both the Horde and Alliance have seen moments of triumph, as well as moments of disgrace.

Their destinies, however, are not written in stone. Only time will tell how the actions of their leaders will be judged. But one thing is certain, neither faction is one dimensional in terms of their actions, ambitions, and morals.
    Does anyone feel that this could somewhat link to the way they plan to change something, possibly in 'Mists of Pandaria' if that is what we all think it is?
    Its the fact that I would see no other need for them to add this bit of information in atall.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Horde vs. Alliance", "good vs. evil", and such has always been a popular discussion topic, especially regarding WoW lore. I think they just wanted to clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dretone View Post
    Does anyone feel that this could somewhat link to the way they plan to change something, possibly in 'Mists of Pandaria' if that is what we all think it is?
    Its the fact that I would see no other need for them to add this bit of information in atall.
    It was an answer given to a person who had read the faction descriptions, and called Blizzard out on bias, because Horde one said "they can be brutal, but they filled with honor and good stuff", while the Alliance was "They can be good and neat, but also mean and easily corrupted to the dark side".

They just said that they made the description like that, because many fantasy stories go "okay, human, elves and dwarves, you the good guys, orcs, undead and trolls, you the baddies."

10+ Year Old Account
    What Arrowstorm said. The entire point of that post was Zarhym pointing out that there really isn't a clear-cut example of good or bad between the Alliance and the Horde (at least in regards to who's the hero and who's the villain in their inter-faction war) since both have some of the best and brightest their races have to offer, and both have violent sociopaths whose sole purpose in life seems to be helping Deathwing out with that whole "large-scale depopulation" thing.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!