Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Post Photoshop: Perfect Linework for Drawings

Ok, so I do alot of drawing in photoshop and I'm pretty good. However, I never knew how to make perfect linework. This is a picture I found of some...roleplaying character named Settana Wheats and I'd like to give credit to whoever drew it.
    I've seen A LOT of drawings with this technique and I'd like to know how it's done!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/Arreat/Sorrow.png

T
    hanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't do it myself, but my friend does. If I remember I'll ask her and update this post. But I think they draw it on paper, scan the lines and import it into photoshop and then use a graphics tablet to trace it. Is that what your asking?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranullis View Post
    I don't do it myself, but my friend does. If I remember I'll ask her and update this post. But I think they draw it on paper, scan the lines and import it into photoshop and then use a graphics tablet to trace it. Is that what your asking?
    If you look at that linework, you can see it's PERFECT. I can't, no matter how hard I try, make it like that. People use that technique to draw anime on the computer, I think. Not sure though. o.O

Reminds me of what a calligraphy pen would do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Vixen- View Post
    If you look at that linework, you can see it's PERFECT. I can't, no matter how hard I try, make it like that. People use that technique to draw anime on the computer, I think. Not sure though. o.O
    Yeah I don't know to be honest, I mean whenever I try to do something I always try to make it perfect and it holds me back a lot of the time. Sorry I can't help you much more :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranullis View Post
    Yeah I don't know to be honest, I mean whenever I try to do something I always try to make it perfect and it holds me back a lot of the time. Sorry I can't help you much more :S
    Ah, well. Perhaps someone who knows will look later on today. Thanks alot anyway.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Sup fellow artist,

First, the drawing (which is well drawn) has very nice line weight - good use of thick and thins. Their rough work was likely on a layer which was then "cleaned up" ontop of and then discarded later.

Photoshop wise: This can be achieved with any brush, this person probably used the default hard round and then messed with some of the pressure sensitivity options so that they could vary the line weight.

Equipment wise: I'd bet this was done on a Wacom Tablet - either an Intuos or a Cintiq (the ones that you draw directly on the screen with). The cintiq especially plays a huge part in getting this quality of work, although is not necessary. My point is, it was NOT done with a mouse.

Private message me if you have more questions (game artist I'm happy to help

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely a tablet by a trained drawer. Doing straight to digital art without some classical art training is usually a bad idea, because many of the basics translate.

Also, you can get "perfect" lines using the pen tool, or a variety of tools in Illustrator. At first glance, though, the image looks like photoshop with a tablet.

Your example picture looks like she used both the pen-tool and an inking type of photoshop brush with the opacity and flow full blast. But she could've just used the inking brush. You can find some on deviant art by typing "ink brush" in the search bar, but your photoshop may have its own inking brush.

Please don't ask me how to use the pen-tool though...I'm an idiot when it comes to that thing. I've read countless tutorials and my mind blanks out whenever I try to use
    it. It just doesn't 'click' for me. Thank goodness I'm really painterly and love painting over my lines. :P

Just look up tutorials about the pen-tool on deviantart. There's lots.

EDIT: Damn, those are illustrator brushes, but you kind of get the idea. Just go to deviantart's "resources and stock images" section and type in the type of brushes you're looking for.
    You can try these.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/resourc...0brush#/dl6sr3
    There are two ways I know of to upload them to photoshop:
    Double clicking the icon of the downloaded brushes
    or
    Open photoshop and open your brushes up. There's a little arrow in a circle towards the right and when you click on it a big dropdown menu opens. There should be a "Load Brushes" option a little ways down. Click that and type in the title of the brushes you downloaded and double click the icon to open. They should appear at the very bottom of your brush choices.

EDIT 2: Try this one.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/resourc...et=24#/d1dx8d3
    Last edited by Rachel; 2011-08-21 at 04:52 AM.

Well speaking as a digital artist myself, there is a number of ways to achieve the line effect in your example.

1. The lineart was finished using a pen/angled brush in Photoshop with a drawing tablet with settings set to tablet pressure.

2. Lines were drawn and then later erased to create this effect (usually amateur's do this).

3. This was originally drawing on physical paper and possibly inked as well using a brush pen. (A Zebra Extra-fine disposable is what I use) Afterwards it was scanned into Photoshop and manuiplated using "levels", adjustment layers, and renders.

If you don't know about them, get a drawing tablet for drawing, it is superior in all ways, I would suggest a Wacom Intuos3 Widescreen version. (The Intuos4 has a "paper-like" surface on it, and you will go threw pen nibs crazy fast. Once you get very good and start rolling in commissions I'd suggest getting a Cintiq21ux it is a "God-mode" device for digital art, I love it.

IF, however you are not sure about your art future or lack the money needed to buy a Wacom, purchase a Monoprice(Google it) tablet, they are around 40-80$ and fairly good, my cousin got one and I was a bit surprised at it. Although nothing has ever beaten a Wacom tablet and they lack true competition and in a way that is sad, since that means their prices are outrageous (See the Cintiq21UX).

Good luck.

I get effects similar to this with a hard brush on my Wacom Intuos tablet. What I do is trace the lines over a sketch layer, and then chisel them into the desired shape with the eraser tool. It's kind of a grind, but it does look good.

You can also, as it was mentioned before, use an angled brush shape. But even then I suppose you'd have to do some adjustments. With practice you will need to do it less and less.

I'm going for the first method to this one, because if you notice, the linework is a bit jittery in some points.
    Last edited by Selkhet; 2011-08-21 at 06:19 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks but I already have a tablet and I already said (I think) that I'm good at it. But these lines! I want to know how! x.x

Thanks for ALL of your replies, people. I'll have a look around and try some stuffs as you suggested. :>

Deleted
    You shouldn't even be focusing on linework if you're a budding artist. You'll have to work on things like shapes and form, anatomy and light - looking to emulate simplistic linework or the "styles of your favourite deviantart users" or whatever like that will really stunt your development.

Deleted
    Customize you brush. Sketch in one layer, do the finish in another. If you want to colorize in a graphic/comic look - convert your linework into a multiply layer and do you colors in a layer beneath it.
    Check out Milo Manara btw (http://www.google.dk/search?q=milo+m...w=1577&bih=792) - his line work has always impressed me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloons View Post
    You shouldn't even be focusing on linework if you're a budding artist. You'll have to work on things like shapes and form, anatomy and light - looking to emulate simplistic linework or the "styles of your favourite deviantart users" or whatever like that will really stunt your development.
    I'm not FOCUSING on such, I am just CURIOUS as to how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Check out Milo Manara btw (http://www.google.dk/search?q=milo+m...w=1577&bih=792) - his line work has always impressed me.
    Yay, boobies! :3

Ahem...Uh, I mean...Yes, very impressive line art he has going on.

The line art you posted was done with the pen tool.
    There are numerous tutorials on how to use this tool, it's actually quite easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiah View Post
    The line art you posted was done with the pen tool.
    There are numerous tutorials on how to use this tool, it's actually quite easy.
    I don't think so, mayyyybe some of the arm work, but there are too many minute imperfections throughout for it to be pen tool