Thread: New Bear Tank

10+ Year Old Account

New Bear Tank

So I have recently reached the 85th level on my druid alt and have decided to follow the path of a tank.

First things first, armory:

*removed due to harassment*

I was just hoping for some feedback on my glyph, talent, reforge, and gem choices. I feel that my threat is superior to any dps, even well geared dps, but I do think that my survival is lacking. I notice that I need barkskin, sometimes even a powerful healer cooldown/self cooldown, where other tanks (even bears) need little to nothing to survive. I suppose I could be playing too defensively, but I fear this is not the case. If anyone could provide tips, ideas, or suggestions that would be great.

I run Tia's Grace inplace of DMC: Earthquake, I use DMC as an ilvl boost for pick up raids.
    Last edited by Actarius; 2016-11-21 at 03:52 AM.

Scrub Resto Druid Trying to Make a Difference

I would suggest against Mastery/Stam gems. Roll with Agi, Agi/Stam, Agi/Dodge or Dodge/Stam. Also try to hurry up and get revered with the earthen ring so you can get a stam/dodge arcanum instead of the PvP one you have now. I would recommend using the agi/mastery inscription for your shoulders though.

For avoidance/mitigation, agi>dodge>mastery.

Regarding your spec, get rid of Nurturing Instinct. If you're tanking, neither bonus it provides would be beneficial. The 20% healing bonus is a cat form only deal, and the +healing... if you're tanking you won't be doing a lot of healing. You can place those points in King of the Jungle or finish out Feral Aggression (I would recommend KotJ). Other stuff appears ok to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to argue, but I was curious why you suggested KotJ? Since threat is all but negligible anymore, wouldn't a more powerful AoE healing CD be more useful than a minor damage and threat buff?

It isnt only with threat it would increase your dps by a good bit and tank dps actually matters. atleast i think lol

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    I don't want to argue, but I was curious why you suggested KotJ? Since threat is all but negligible anymore, wouldn't a more powerful AoE healing CD be more useful than a minor damage and threat buff?
    Think over a span of a raid fight. Your either tanking the boss, or in catform trying to nail in some dps before you have to tank him again. In the end, your better off with KotJ because of the fact it will help your raids dps in the longhaul over that 5 second period you use tranquility, plus that extra rage when you press swipe at the wrong time and waste rage will come in handy... more often than not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarden View Post
    Think over a span of a raid fight. Your either tanking the boss, or in catform trying to nail in some dps before you have to tank him again. In the end, your better off with KotJ because of the fact it will help your raids dps in the longhaul over that 5 second period you use tranquility, plus that extra rage when you press swipe at the wrong time and waste rage will come in handy... more often than not.
    That's actually a good point, never really thought of it like that. Thank you.

Use mainly Agi/Stam gems, if you feel that your HP is too low and either 2xMastery/Stam (only suggesting 2 max because of the meta gem) or 2xAgi/Dodge.

Don't fill your gear out in mastery/stam or dodge/stam as it's bad.

For your spec, take 2 points out of nurturing instinct and put 1 into feral aggression and the other either in stampede or KotJ. - I'm almost never out of bear form whilst tanking (little opportunity or reason to be)... Not sure about any other bears.

You don't *need* KotJ, but I guess it'd be more useful over stampede... Even though I still currently have stampede myself. I'm still quite happy with how I rank in fights though. L1 L2
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|