Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Would this work with the 2500k?

Hey, I'm just wondering quick if the i5 2500k would work good together with the H67 and the normal stock cooling.

Yes it will, but why would you do it?

"because you can" oh, ok, go ahead then ^^
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-23 at 11:00 PM.

Deleted
    What do you mean? What is the downside of using it and what should I use instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    What do you mean? What is the downside of using it and what should I use instead?
    Well, the 2500K has an unlocked multiplier and is easily overclocked to 4.5+ GHz (not advisable with stock cooling), but for this you need a P67 or Z68 motherboard.
    The H67 and H61 don't have the option the change the multiplier and changing the BCLK is out of the question.

You could ofcourse get the i5 2500 (non-K) which doesn't have the unlocked multiplier.

Deleted
    Would I need a after market cooler aswell?

Increasing voltages and cpu multipliers generates more heat. heat=bad

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

If you're going to overclock an aftermarket cooler is advised. Something like the Hyper 212 Plus is good enough for most people and cheap.
    I'd even say it's better to take one even if you don't overclock, stock heatsinks tend to not be that good at all even for stockspeeds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    Increasing voltages and cpu multipliers generates more heat. heat=bad
    But 3.3 to 4.3 does not result in thermal shut-down.

So no, an aftermarket cooler is not a requirement. But i highly recommend you getting it. Warmer CPU = warmer air in the case = warmer everything else aswell.

The stock cooler also makes allot of noice.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    I might add the aftermarket cooler later as I can't really afford it. ;D

i5-2500K is meant for overclocking, with H67 board you can not overclock. There's no simpler way to put it.

So either get i5-2500 without K on the H67 board, then neither the CPU nor the board supports OC. Or you get i5-2500K and P67/Z68 board where both the motherboard and the CPU can be overclocked. One with and one without is rather pointless, because then you overpaid from one of the components.

If your budget can't handle it otherwise, most reasonable trade-off will be getting P67 board you can OC later, and some lower end processor like i3-2100. it will be still good for games and you can relatively easily swap the CPU for beefier model later, and even OC it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Stupid Amazon, trying to find a motherboard they actually can send to my address, everything else seems fine xD

I might add the aftermarket cooler later as I can't really afford it. ;D
    Totally valid choice. There's absolutely no reason to get one unless you want to overclock the processor or you have really bad airflow/high ambient temperature. Living in Australia for example where you have +40C for half year is good reason to start looking at aftermarket coolers to improve PC stability.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stupid Amazon, trying to find a motherboard they actually can send to my address, everything else seems fine xD
    UK or US or AU?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    UK or US or AU?
    Buying from the UK Amazon and I live in sweden. I find it much cheaper over there. If I bought stuff in sweden I wouldn't be able to put in that 2500k ;D

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    UK or US or AU?
    Or NL, SE, NO, DE :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Is there a swedish amazon?

Buying from the UK Amazon and I live in sweden. I find it much cheaper over there. If I bought stuff in sweden I wouldn't be able to put in that 2500k ;D
    Even with import taxes?

Is there a swedish amazon?
    No, but there is a German one :P

-edit- Okay.... searched for i5 2500K there. 2 results with the actual CPU. The first is good, the second is 5 euro more expensive and has 6MB
    L2-cache, pretty awesome if you ask me. :/
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-23 at 11:28 PM.

Deleted
    Or CA..............

15+ Year Old Account
    All of your other abbreviations mean nothing to me!

There are other site options to use if you can't find a mobo through Amazon, though they may be a less preferred option.

Deleted
    Even with import taxes?
    The key is to use the Super saver delivery! XD