Warrior Mage Duel

Any1 want to give me a step by step process of dueling these guys? Tell me if my strategy is wrong.

-Charge, then fear them (have shadowmeld for images).. they blink away
    -If they are good they wont use thier trinket, run up to them, improve hamstring, they snare you (but its ok)
    -rend, ms, ect beat them down for a while, they snare you again
    -bladestorm out of the snare - they blink away (about 4-5 secs into bladestorm)
    -heroic leap and throwdown (they trinket and pop cd's, images, deepfreeze)
    -Trinket the deepfreez, def stance, shield wall, spell reflect (bout 6-8 secs)

After this I have no chance..

I charge, he blinks, snares, and kites me to death.. not even close, and im getting owned by nubs.. any1 that can help? Ty

Also, Mages have 2 snares, both on 25 sec CD, blink on 15 sec CD and Deep freez on 2min CD, im i missing anything?
    Last edited by Cepheid; 2011-08-20 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepheid View Post

I charge, he blinks, snares, and kites me to death.. not even close
    Make him blink before you charge. Blowing your main gap closing ability before he blinks is silly. Bladestorm breaking snares is nice, but I would use it to break his ice barrier. (This prevents it from rooting you. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=54787 ) Force him to blink with your throwdown, not charge. After he blinks, then charge and imp string.

Honestly, dueling a frost mage 1v1 with a warrior is like beating your head on a brick wall. It could be fun I suppose.

Deleted
    Theyoreticaly you could go back in time and beat him badly in WotLK, however it might be a little tricky. Still easier than finding good way to win duel in this expansion though.

You're just going to have to hope they're bad tbh. The only mages i've ever beaten are ones who fail to counter the strategy that I use; Because EVERY strategy that a warrior can use against a mage can be countered if done right (with relative ease). You will always lose to a mage that knows what to do; though the keyboard turners should never really be a threat (unless they out gear you, in which case - Ice lance GG)

Deleted
    Battle shout and rend, stay close to him before duel so you can rend.

Deleted
    I love fighting frost mages on my warrior! It's a nice challenge...

As long as they're less skilled than me.. if not.. yeah..

PS: 60k reflected shatter combo's are great fun.. even if they're rare :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike420 View Post
    Make him blink before you charge. Blowing your main gap closing ability before he blinks is silly. Bladestorm breaking snares is nice, but I would use it to break his ice barrier. (This prevents it from rooting you. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=54787 ) Force him to blink with your throwdown, not charge. After he blinks, then charge and imp string.
    you forgot to mention the part where the mage ice blocks, uses ring of frost, freeze, frost nova or cold snap

warrior will never beat a mage that has half an idea of how to play their class. its a rare kill and if you get one they were at a serious disadvantage or they are dumber than a box of rocks.

i usually just go to take a piss whenever i encounter a frost mage in a BG

Deleted
    www.youtube.com/pvpandstuff

the latest one is me duelling mages at end, its kinda old but still.

I would actually run up to them at start and get a rend off, then they would waste a nova and the and deep freeze, i trinket it and charge if theyre far away or fear if theyre close, then when they blink i would heroic leap, double hamstring and get some dmg off and maybe throwdown after that, u can only just reverse and use bladestorm at the first nove but then they might block

If you can't handle monitoring their blink cooldown, a mage will always crush you.

You need to know when their blink is up or down. BS with blink down = IB or death. Throwdown with blink down = IB or death. Either of those with blink up is a wasted CD. Also try to hold charge until after they blink.

Deleted
    When fighting Frost-Mages:

1. Don't open with Charge, instead open with Intimidating shout. This will send his Pet to Africa while keeping him in place.

2. Then Improve Hamstring him and unload on him. You will trigger Shatter-Barrier but that's ok.

3. Mage will Blink away which you can instantly follow up with Charge and Throwdown. Now he's in trouble! Make him pay!

4. He will probably Ice Block. Make sure to pop Spell-Reflect before Ice Block expires because a lot of Mages like to follow up with a Deep Freeze.

5. Ice Block ends, you'll be nova'd while he walks away. Now's a good time to Reckless + Bladestorm his ass, IF he is slowed (use Piercing Howl).

6. He'll panic and try to nova + blink. Ideally your Reckstom will have destroyed the Shatter Barrier and your Charge should roughly overlap with his Blink.

7. Use Heroic Leap in case he gets away. Try to proc Shatter Barrier with Heroic Throw if you can.

8. Wrestle him down while remembering to use Spell-Reflect, Enraged-Regeneration + Rallying Cry.

9. Profit

Now yes, this is an extremely simplified guide and good Frost-Mages are a lot more slippery. The key is to get one step ahead of them using Intimidating Shout as an opener, rather than Charge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    You're just going to have to hope they're bad tbh. The only mages i've ever beaten are ones who fail to counter the strategy that I use; Because EVERY strategy that a warrior can use against a mage can be countered if done right (with relative ease). You will always lose to a mage that knows what to do; though the keyboard turners should never really be a threat (unless they out gear you, in which case - Ice lance GG)
    That. Frost mage who know what he is doing will kil you in 10 seconds, you wont even remove all imobilisation he will put on you. If you kill him, he is bad.

Same goes for warrior if warlocks kill you

Rocket boots, pop all CDs, bladestorm and force block he's pretty much cooked after that. If he cries no profession perks, tell him 1v1 isn't balanced and he needs to stfu and l2p.

Otherwise... reflect Deepfreezes and you're good to go, watch for their pet casting cause that piece of shit can fuck everything up.

What can I say, Frost Mages are our Kryptonite.

They key to mage duels is to use your spell reflects wisely. Don't just pop them, and be prepared for a fake SR. I can tell you right now if you're in a nova and they have a 1 second frostbolt they wont waste it.

Also, be sure to be one step ahead. I like to charge>fear and wait like 8 seconds so charge is on a low CD. if they root me and run I bladestorm straight into a charge AFTER they blink and pop DC/throwdown. block or trinket here. By this stage you should have heroic leap and charge on about 5 seconds. Chances are he's gonna root you and deep freeze you; get on that spell reflect quick smart - especially if he has Fingers of Frost. If he gets the deepfreeze off, no worries just trinket and charge him.

The idea is cooldown management. You can't do a step by step fight for PvP. Make sure your cooldowns always counter his, and don't waste spell reflects!

I will beat a mediocre mage (1800-2k arena) 99% of the time. A skilled mage however knows how to manage his roots and let's face it, their CD's outweigh ours. If they fuck up though, be sure to capitalise on the situation and punish him!

TBH this 'guide' goes for any duel, except DK. DK's should just hit every button in quick succession.
    this game sucks

A good frost mage will never lose against any warrior, that simple. You do have a good chance to beat them occasionally, when managing your cooldowns right (see Crowe's post, #11) but it really depends on how strong your nerves are and how well and fast you can reflect. As long as you have pressure on him you're good, but a good mage can still kill a warrior who doesn't have alot of cd's left, even with only 5% hp.

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    They key to mage duels is to use your spell reflects wisely. Don't just pop them, and be prepared for a fake SR. I can tell you right now if you're in a nova and they have a 1 second frostbolt they wont waste it.

Also, be sure to be one step ahead. I like to charge>fear and wait like 8 seconds so charge is on a low CD. if they root me and run I bladestorm straight into a charge AFTER they blink and pop DC/throwdown. block or trinket here. By this stage you should have heroic leap and charge on about 5 seconds. Chances are he's gonna root you and deep freeze you; get on that spell reflect quick smart - especially if he has Fingers of Frost. If he gets the deepfreeze off, no worries just trinket and charge him.

The idea is cooldown management. You can't do a step by step fight for PvP. Make sure your cooldowns always counter his, and don't waste spell reflects!

I will beat a mediocre mage (1800-2k arena) 99% of the time. A skilled mage however knows how to manage his roots and let's face it, their CD's outweigh ours. If they fuck up though, be sure to capitalise on the situation and punish him!

TBH this 'guide' goes for any duel, except DK. DK's should just hit every button in quick succession.
    Warriors are so OP against mages
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    A simple tip:

If you play a good warrior that are able to reach 2k and you then play against a mage who is also able to reach 2k... there is but a simple strategy if you're 1vs1 in arena:

Leave, save yourself time and depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Offsurface View Post
    A simple tip:

If you play a good warrior that are able to reach 2k and you then play against a mage who is also able to reach 2k... there is but a simple strategy if you're 1vs1 in arena:

Leave, save yourself time and depression.
    The guy above wins 99% of the times against mages, i'm not sure what you on about
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.