Corsair Vengeance heatsink removal

I had to remove the heatsinks from my Vengeance ram to fit my cpu cooler, and I was wondering if you guys think that they are needed? Does ram need heatsinks in the first place?

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    well, your ram ARE getting warm and so on, so dont do that imo, you dont want to fry them.

10+ Year Old Account
    im not even sure if what im about to suggest is viable, but mayby you can find ram coolers that can fit under your cpu cooler, like the ripjaw-x ram cooler design. mayby if you can find some without the ram modules u can transfer them onto your current ones. i heard the ripjaw-x ram coolers fit under the really big cpu coolers (nh-d14)

Deleted
    from what i've read they're glued on so it may be quite difficult to not damage them. someone did suggest just sawing the top of them off though, which shouldn't be too hard. doing any of this will of course void your warranty, so be careful. also, if you do mod the heatsink in any way, don't overclock the RAM or anything.

edit: misread, so you removed them already? it should be fine if you're not overclocking them or pushing them to the limits. they're mostly for the looks anyway, hence why other ram modules don't use their frankly stupid and ridiculous design.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2011-08-24 at 08:37 AM.

Those coolers aren't really necessary unless you do fairly significant RAM overclocking. I had ram coolers in a system that I had for 2 1/2 years, they went bad after about 1 year in, just removed 'em and it was fine ever since.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about ram fans that come with some high end ram sticks, or the actual heatsink on the sticks? If you're talking about the heatsink, that might not be such a good idea to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    well, your ram ARE getting warm and so on, so dont do that imo, you dont want to fry them.
    At stock clocks the RAM will be just fine actually. They're more or less just there for fancy looks, unless you overclock them with a lot of added voltage.

I have Noctua NH-C14 and i have been looking for new ram and i was reading this could be one of solutions to fit them, just remember you will loose your warranty when removing them, so if anything happens you wont be able to trade them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    At stock clocks the RAM will be just fine actually. They're more or less just there for fancy looks, unless you overclock them with a lot of added voltage.
    I follow the advice of my brother west-vlaming. Fancy looks. Just make sure you have good cooling in your pc and your RAM will be a o k.
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.