Narwhal - What can it run?

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about building the 'Narwhal' computer from the computer - Setup of the Month as it's in my price range, but I'm curious, what games will I be able to run and at what settings??

Any help will be apprieciated!

(The link for the latest setup - http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...he-Daily-Blink )

Deleted
    All the newest games, on ultra I guess. My computer is Narwhal from early 2010 and I still run all games on high without problem.

Should run everything on ultra with aa+af (not max on all but on some). Altough personally i would drop the SSD,CPU cooler,GPU and buy a nh-d14, gtx 570 and no ssd but thats up to you.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Something along the lines of the Narwhal setup will most definitely be able to handle all the latest games on high-ultra graphics, the only thing that may be worth changing is an extra stick or two of memory if you plan on playing WoW or other memory hungry games. Check some benchmarks on any games you are leaning towards in terms of whether to go for an ATI or NVidea card, as there can be significant differences in the way they perform in different games.

Hope that helps

Chaos, Panic, and Disorder.
    My work here is done.

Deleted
    I run on the same setup except for ram (I have 8gb) and GPU (mine is a gainward gtx 570) and I'm able to play all games at ultra, disabling aa and af only when playing with 3d vision up

Deleted
    It can run EVERYTHING!

Deleted

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The narwhal setup is a good budget machine. 8gb of ram will be ideal. I personally have 8gb and I see a bottleneck from time to time. The video card selections are not the best. I would pick up the 6970 or the gtx 570 or greater if possible. It is all about future readying your computer. As for this system, without upgrading and changing stuff out. In wow you will most likely have to turn down graphic setting in places such as org. It will run SC2 maybe at ultra. i have the 6970 and i run all my games on ultra and it sometimes stutters in SC2 and WoW in org i get 60 FPS, which is awesome for me. I will have to say it will run newer games to come out like skyrim which is going to be amazing. All in all it is a good build but with some minor tweaks can be a lot better. I don't know what types of games you play so it will be hard to say which games it will be good at. If you have any more questions just ask. Hope the answer you were looking for is somewhere in this rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by darnoldtux View Post
    The narwhal setup is a good budget machine. 8gb of ram will be ideal. I personally have 8gb and I see a bottleneck from time to time. The video card selections are not the best. I would pick up the 6970 or the gtx 570 or greater if possible. It is all about future readying your computer. As for this system, without upgrading and changing stuff out. In wow you will most likely have to turn down graphic setting in places such as org. It will run SC2 maybe at ultra. i have the 6970 and i run all my games on ultra and it sometimes stutters in SC2 and WoW in org i get 60 FPS, which is awesome for me. I will have to say it will run newer games to come out like skyrim which is going to be amazing. All in all it is a good build but with some minor tweaks can be a lot better. I don't know what types of games you play so it will be hard to say which games it will be good at. If you have any more questions just ask. Hope the answer you were looking for is somewhere in this rambling.
    I can say with 100% certainty that you won't have to adjust video settings, or any settings, in WoW on the Narwhal system.

What you've said is most certainly incorrect.

I run a two year old system: i7 920, OC'd to 4.2ghz with a 6790 video card, 6 GB of RAM and a mechanical hard drive, and I run SC2 & WoW on Ultra with zero problems, and I do not ever change settings around depending on my in-game location.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like your CPU mate is your bottleneck mate.

As for the OP the Nardwhal will play any game released this year or the previous years on Ultra. As some have suggested I second dropping the SSD and bumping up the video card. That will impact your video game performance more than a SSD would. In regards to the CPU cooler I have used the one listed and really for its price I didn't see better performance over the Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler. There is also the Noctua NH-D14.

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 03:28 PM ----------

Sounds like your CPU mate is your bottleneck mate.

As for the OP the Nardwhal will play any game released this year or the previous years on Ultra. As some have suggested I second dropping the SSD and bumping up the video card. That will impact your video game performance more than a SSD would. In regards to the CPU cooler I have used the one listed and really for its price I didn't see better performance over the Coolermaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler. There is also the Noctua NH-D14.