Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Then don't post while I'm typing xD
    don't type while I'm posting!

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    don't type while I'm posting!
    brb, going to the Suggestions & Feedback forum, I have an idea.
    "XXX is writing a post" should be visible, just like MSN does it XD Should be possible with Javascript.

Okay, one last thing, I found this PSU, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817339012, which appears to be one hell of a deal. Newegg's wattage calc says I need 542 watts for this computer, will a 585 have enough leeway for startup or anything else that would make the parts draw more than the specs say?

+3.3V@36A, +5V@36A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@20A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.0A

Total wattage is one thing, Amperage per rail is another, it's the 12V rail you want to look at.
    While it theoretically should work, I wouldn't trust it.

A PSU isn't something you want to cheap out on. It powers your whole system and if it's gimped it might kill all components in a flash.
    If you want something cheaper while still having a reliable PSU, take this one or if you ever want to go Crossfire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139028
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 06:03 AM.

+3.3V@36A, +5V@36A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@20A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.0A

Total wattage is one thing, Amperage per rail is another, it's the 12V rail you want to look at.
    While it theoretically should work, I wouldn't trust it.

A PSU isn't something you want to cheap out on. It powers your whole system and if it's gimped it might kill all components in a flash.
    If you want something cheaper while still having a reliable PSU, take this one or if you ever want to go Crossfire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139028
    The 600W Corsair looks good, I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182032, it's cheaper, has 2 12V rails, but I'm getting the feeling the amps on them is too low

Quote Originally Posted by Barana View Post
    The 600W Corsair looks good, I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182032, it's cheaper, has 2 12V rails, but I'm getting the feeling the amps on them is too low
    correct me if im (might be wrong) but i think single rails are the best more reliable ones.

i would stick with a good brand on a psu, corsair/seasonics/xfx etc. known for good components

You are a quick learner You generally want something over 30A. If the PSU has multiple 12V rails, you want 30A per rail.
    20A should be more than enough to power a 6950, but PSU's with low amps tend to be not so good.

Rosewill RP600V2:
    +3.3@30A, +5V@55A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@19A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.5A

Corsair CX600:
    +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@40A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

As you can see Rosewill puts all the power on the +3.3V and +5V rails. Ofcourse you want power there, but 55A is a bit overkill.
    Now don't go off in the future only buying PSU's with high amperage on the 12V rail, cause there's more to look at to determine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Joerge View Post
    correct me if im (might be wrong) but i think single rails are the best more reliable ones.

i would stick with a good brand on a psu, corsair/seasonics/xfx etc. known for good components
    Maybe this was a problem in the past, but now it's not anymore. That being said, my PSU has 100A on 1 rail, if something goes wrong it could easily set the house on fire. In this case 3x33A rails is safer :P
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    $189 for win7?... should only be $99 hope they arent offering you that titanium internet security "free" with win7 cuase you're seriously paying for it for $189
    Better yet. People pay for operating systems? What is this nonsense?

CX600 it is.

Out of curiosity, what is it that rails do and will I have to worry about them when plugging things in, and how much extra wattage should I be aiming for over what the calculator says?

Calculators are a little overshooting. For a system with just one 6950 a good 500W PSU is more than enough, for crossfire 6950 600W is enough.
    And no, you don't have to do anything specific. Those rails are all on the inside of the PSU, nothing to worry about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    Better yet. People pay for operating systems? What is this nonsense?
    Legally purchasing a license for an OS is the only viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Legally purchasing a license for an OS is the only viable option.
    Or getting one for free if you're a student Other options are not to be discussed here however.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or getting one for free if you're a student Other options are not to be discussed here however.
    or, I guess, Linux? *shivers*

Calculators are a little overshooting. For a system with just one 6950 a good 500W PSU is more than enough, for crossfire 6950 600W is enough.
    And no, you don't have to do anything specific. Those rails are all on the inside of the PSU, nothing to worry about.
    So if I don't intend on going Crossfire I could easily bump it down to a 550 or 575 and be pretty safe from overdrawing?

15+ Year Old Account
    So if I don't intend on going Crossfire I could easily bump it down to a 550 or 575 and be pretty safe from overdrawing?
    all depending on PSU. I would say 500W Corsair 80+ should be fine.

Indeed. Take http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027. Only $40 after MIR.

-edit- An average system with a 6950 will draw 350W when everything runs at 100% load.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 06:41 AM.

Great, I think I have my final list. One last thing, is it possible to transfer data from my old HDD to my new one just by plugging it in to the mobo and letting it recognize it? Or do I have to use an external HDD / some kind of transfer cable?

You can plug both HDDs into the same motherboard and then copy-paste its content.

Do not want to jack his thread,but how would tis build work for performance wise? Able to run wow on what settings? I ask because it is in the same price range as my amd build and im sure this would put out more performance then the amd build.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halooflocust View Post
    Do not want to jack his thread,but how would tis build work for performance wise? Able to run wow on what settings? I ask because it is in the same price range as my amd build and im sure this would put out more performance then the amd build.
    this build will smoke the AMD build, and smoke WoW.