Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedirishman View Post
    We harvested all the cheese. There's nothing left but rocks. When's the last time -you- were excited about a rock?
    We need them to make portals.

Deleted
    there is no one on the moon to give democracy, free market and a trial by jury law system to....

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    It's expensive as all bloody hell, and there is nothing to gain for anyone by doing so other than giving a couple people the experience of a lifetime.
    Most expensive theme park ride in history!!!

Ohh, and it lost its appeal greatly after we already beat the Russians there....the ppl didnt care anymore.

After TV ratings went down the toilet it wasn't profitable enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    The USSR ceased to exist so they had no one to try to be superior to.

Also the moon is pretty boring. Besides more samples there isn't really much to be gleaned from landing people on it. Also the cost.
    Last I checked the moon is a very good source for helium-3, which is a component for nuclear fusion.

Isn't that enough reason to go to the moon to collect that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. I'm waiting to see if NASA discovers some kind of rare mineral on the Moon - and then corporations will be flocking to it.
    You do realize they have found frozen water under the surface of the moon right?

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-11-13/t...tem?_s=PM:TECH

And having a water source available for possible use would make for the setting up a manned lunar base to do further studies of the moon and such much more feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    maybe they arent going back yet because they have no funding? also we did go back to the moon Apollo 18 duh why else would they make a movie about it
    Lol at all the talk about Apollo 18 and how it explains everything.
    Do you people even know what it's about?

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    OP, man hasn't returned to the moon because you can't return to a place you've never been.

People saying there's no reason to go to the moon are insanely ignorant.

There's no reason to go to the moon? Really? You really can not think of any good reason why a return to the moon with 2011 technology would have any benefit? You realize in 1969 a state of the art supercomputer only had 2mhz of processing power and 4 Kilobytes of memory and 32 Kilobytes of storage right?

Do you know how small 4 kilobytes is? 4 Kilobytes is 32,552 bits (1 or 0)'s. You really believe that there's NO POINT in landing a man on the moon with the technology available to us today?

If you believe this you're blind. Learn to think for your self and stop believeing everything at face value. FFS.

First of all there is no way that technology existed in 1969 that could take a man safely to the surface of the moon, then return to earth, such technology doesn't even exist today. And the fact that the whole world believes otherwise is more damaging then you think.

Anyway, Nasa is working on getting back to the moon by 2018.. Why? Why not just go in 2011? Since they did it easily in the 60's and 70's? What happened? Did they forget how to get to the moon? No.. They never went there in the first place, and are planning to attempt it in 2018..

Because the Chinese are sending an unmanned craft to the moon in 2013. And they're surely going to prove that Man couldn't have landed on the moon in the fucking 1960's..

If you believe man landed on the moon in 1969, keep believing that. Because sooner or later the truth will come out, this isn't the sort of thing that can stay undercover for ever.
    I lol'd! Good troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Last I checked the moon is a very good source for helium-3, which is a component for nuclear fusion.

Isn't that enough reason to go to the moon to collect that stuff?
    No, it's not. The cost of extracting and transporting it makes the whole thing pointless. And we're at least 50-70 years from actually using helium-3 in a controlled fusion reaction.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-08-27 at 08:17 PM.

By the end of the Apollo program it was getting pretty ho-hum. Like the space shuttle program, people stopped paying attention. Unlike the space shuttle program, there was little practical value for continuing the missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You know what would be 1000x faster though? If Obama told the military that the Andromeda system had WMDs. We'd be living in Star Trek within the decade. Actually, knowing America it'd be more like WH40k...
    I love your brain.

Personally, I would like to see some moon-bases on the go. I wonder how much people would pay for a holiday on the moon.

It's a good thing the US has not decided to go to the moon more; especially considering the immense cost associated. There's nothing there and no point of going.

Deleted
    Because our technology has improved, so they can eat hamburgers on earth while machines do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewe View Post
    I'd love if they explored Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. There's a chance they might find life there.

( http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/...Object=Jupiter )
    Don't hold your breath, its too cold to have life grow (in the long term, temporary sources of heat could create the conditions for the reactions to occur....but i wouldn't bet on it)

<SNIP>

Mod Warning: No conspiracy theory junk here please.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-08-27 at 08:49 PM.

It's not really worth the billions or trillions of dollars it would cost when we have other things to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedirishman View Post
    We harvested all the cheese. There's nothing left but rocks. When's the last time -you- were excited about a rock?
    Helium 3, the greatest source of fuel, known to man (at this present time).

10+ Year Old Account
    well we should go back and try to make it cheaper

why?

because there is a mineral on the moon that is a very good clean fuel source! HARVEST THE MOON

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

although i do see these evtnaully being a bad idea. weaken the mass of th emoon there for its gravity there for our oceans will be fucked up etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

why?

because there is a mineral on the moon that is a very good clean fuel source! HARVEST THE MOON

although i do see these evtnaully being a bad idea. weaken the mass of th emoon there for its gravity there for our oceans will be fucked up etc
    Well we can always dump our garbage on the moon that might even the mass

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

why?

Yah...gl getting it.

It would be difficult at best to extract any amount of He3 from the moon, nvm such a large quantity that it would have any noticeable impact on earth.

PS: What is with all the moon conspiracies in this thread?