Discipline: why is it important to track Rapture?

So i've seen people saying that Disc priest should get an addon to track Rapture.

What for? It works on it's own anyway. Just drop shields, and Rapture will trigger.

Or is it for priest who cast only 1 PW:S and wait for Rapture CD?

Some people think they are too cool to just drop a shield on the tank and get rapture from that and thus needs an add on to help them to count to 12.
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-08-28 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Made your opinion a bit more polite.

pretty sure its to track the ICD on Rapture and if/when it procs
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a silly regen system. Disc is the shield spec, but they can't use shields all the time so the cost is increased and our regen from other sources (Innervate and Mana Tide) are cut. However, we still must cast a shield roughly every 12 seconds to maximise our regen.

If you only cast PW:S every CD you dont get the full benefit from rapture. There is a short time between when rapture comes off CD and when your bubble gets eaten by damage. If you can tell the moment rapture comes off CD you can pre cast PW:S a few moments earlier to get the next rapture proc as close to the internal CD mark as you can. It's not super important in the grand sceme of things but on tough fights, pacticlarly progression and even more particularly, fights you might be under geared for or are heavily mana intensive it can be thing that gets you the kill sometimes.
    Last edited by Serraphis; 2011-08-28 at 11:08 AM.

Deleted
    the goal is to nullified the gap between a rupture proc and the another, every wasted second is roughly an 8% mana regen loss from rapture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka_Bob View Post
    pretty sure its to track the ICD on Rapture and if/when it procs
    What's the point of that?

I usually have both tanks shielded. Cast a new shield as soon as debuff wears off. So i never miss rapture.

Deleted
    It was important back in LK 'cause you could pre-cast shields on whole raid and if they would trigger at the same time, you'll get mana from all of them, but I think they have fixed that since.

Deleted
    If you have SoS (which you should imo), you can't simply cast a shield on the tank every time weakened soul fades. Casting a shield and then seeing it break 2 seconds later but it breaking 11 seconds after your last rapture proc is bad, as you gain a crap load of mana from rapture (im pushing 9k+ mana every proc in raids). You want that uptime to be as high as possible.

Same thing goes for efficient raid healing. PoH > PWS in terms of raid healing, you still want to gain the rapture proc though, so knowing when to cast without relying on throwing it on the tank who may be full health anyway is never a bad idea.

You can however still get away with using shields randomly, it's just one of those small things that will tweak your gameplay a small bit.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-08-28 at 12:29 PM.

It's not really important to keep track of raptures. Even with rapture timing addon's it's difficult to get it to proc exactly each 12 seconds.

We're on 6/7 HC 10-man and 2 healing all except Beth'heroic. I don't even care about rapture procs, they come naturally as the fight goes on. What can oom me are not lack of rapture perfection but rather that DPS didn't kill adds fast enough, stood in a fire, bad vulcanoes, bad tormented links which leads me to spamming FH/GH/BH/POH's 5-6 times in a row losing around 20-30k mana when it could've been prevented. If I didn't get those free 5k mana from a PW's is not the reason of me going oom.

PW:S are naturally a part in your healing arsenal, and you use it as soon as someone drops very lop to prevent them from dying if they take any damage before your heal reach them. If no one are low, you still throw one on the tank. Regardless of rapture timing addons, you're gonna get a rapture proc within a few seconds of it's optimal mana return timer. It's not like if you got an addon that tracks it, and it's 6 seconds before the next mana-back and you go "No, I'm not gonna cast it if I don't get mana back!"

Just my two cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    I usually have both tanks shielded. Cast a new shield as soon as debuff wears off. So i never miss rapture.
    Beth'tilac, how? Rhyolith, how? Shannox, sure. Alysrazor, maybe. Baleroc, how? Majordomo, how? Ragnaros, why disc?
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2011-08-28 at 04:30 PM.

Deleted
    So i've seen people saying that Disc priest should get an addon to track Rapture.

What for? It works on it's own anyway. Just drop shields, and Rapture will trigger.

Why is it important? it's not really nether is any mod, but most mods are helpful and being able to track rapture helps you avoid sticking a weakened soul debuff on your tanks shortly before your able to get mana return an example of this is say both tanks don't need shields and the ICD has 2 or 3 seconds left, you could either cast an un-needed shield that would break too early or hold off a moment longer to cast it and get the proc.

I know most here will say no shield that is used is un-needed which is true but imo the 9k ish mana return is a free Greater heal and penance every 12 seconds so missing it is like not using inner focus every time its up.

What's the point of that?

Depends what you mean by "never miss rapture". If you're just rolling it on the tanks then you are probably procing rapture at best every 15-16 seconds or so, which is about 1k mp5 less than procing it every 12 seconds. Over a 6 minute fight this is 72k mana, so it's not exactly a trivial amount. In reality it's very difficult (impossible) to actually proc rapture exactly every 12 seconds though and fights aren't tuned tightly enough to require it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Juber View Post
    It's not really important to keep track of raptures. Even with rapture timing addon's it's difficult to get it to proc exactly each 12 seconds.

We're on 6/7 HC 10-man and 2 healing all except Beth'heroic. I don't even care about rapture procs, they come naturally as the fight goes on. What can oom me are not lack of rapture perfection but rather that DPS didn't kill adds fast enough, stood in a fire, bad vulcanoes, bad tormented links which leads me to spamming FH/GH/BH/POH's 5-6 times in a row losing around 20-30k mana when it could've been prevented. If I didn't get those free 5k mana from a PW's is not the reason of me going oom.
    You can pretty much always make back 20-30k mana with better rapture timing (particularly if you aren't watching the timer at all), but yes, having dps stand in fire or not kill adds doesn't help things.

Why do I have a Rapture counter? Because there are too many other things going on my screen than having to pay attention to "Oh WS on the the tank ok, 1...2...3...4" yea not doing that, I would rather worry about, "Oh crap the mage just did something stupid now I have to heal his stupid ass" or "Oh crap gotta run away from the big ball of fire heading my way".

I like having a sound that plays when Rapture is ready, its a nice reminder to say "Hey cast your bubble big guy", do you need to have a rapture counter? No, but it's sure as shit nice to have that's for sure!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Some kids think they are too cool to just drop a shield on the tank and get rapture from that and thus needs an add on to help them to count to 12.
    Nice ad hominem there. A rapture counter is best to maximise regen, and to make sure you know exactly when to use PW:S, so you don't use it a second or two too early.

Watching rapture isnt for constant shield spamming it is basically for those slower moments just tank dmg kind of thing. Where you can max out rapture procs and keep your mana stable for some larger raid damage. During heavy raid or tank damage your likely going to be putting shields out quickly aswell as healing which is heavy on the mana however at some point the dmg will slow down and you can regen heavily by using rapture and knowing when is key. Power Auras is the easiest way to watch it cuz you should already have it installed!

It's a stupid mechanic, but tracking it will net you more mana to work with in the long run.

I wish it worked more like Divine Fire does...

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Watching rapture isnt for constant shield spamming it is basically for those slower moments just tank dmg kind of thing.
    Mostly this. There are certain encounters where you may be refraining from shielding preparing for the next spike that you need to cover with shields and being remind to cast a shield somewhere it's going to proc is a big regen gain. Having a notifier has certainly netted me extra mana in several situations.

Its extremely important to maximize your mana regen. Having a 3-4 second late rapture proc is HUGE in terms of mana throughout a fight. It might be acceptable to just let it work by itself on farm or something but most of the time the difference between a good and a top player is the little details like this. There is no reason why you would not want to at least try and optimize your regen to the max.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, having the regen from Rapture is definitely helpful, and if you don't miss it, it shall be better on your Mana then anything else. For the most part in Normal Modes, I'm not going below around 60% mana throughout any fight, and I'm usually topping heals (mind you, I'm 376iL for PvE, should be doing HM's).