Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is Ele tied down to 1H + Shield?

So we're starting our alt runs for FL normal modes, and my Elemental isn't the best geared. Currently I have a ZA/ZG main hand and the Elementium Stormshield. I'm debating on purchasing Spire of Scarlet pain (378 staff), but I also have the choice of nabbing Chelly's Sterilized Scappel (378 dagger) and sticking with my 359 shield.

Running the numbers in my head, it seems the staff would lead to more INT and SP. However, I was told by my GM that Ele is 'tied down' to one handers and shields. Honestly it seems rubbish, but seeing that we have no Ele in our main raid for me to ask... Well here I am. Is there something unknown to me that increases our viability with 1H + shields over staves?

Thanks in advance ~

10+ Year Old Account
    Shamans wearing staffs for upgrades is perfectly normal and viable. You're not requiring your priests to wear MH+OH either, are you?

I don't play an ele shaman, but after quickly reading EJ thread I found no mentions of it whatsoever, which is supported by what Seriss said.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    Shamans wearing staffs for upgrades is perfectly normal and viable. You're not requiring your priests to wear MH+OH either, are you?
    Haha, no no. But thanks, I just don't see why he seems to think Staves > MH+OH.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Yeah, MH+OH is the same as MH+Shield

The only difference is shield has more armor.

now while im no ele shaman expert i have played one for a while now and the only time you would have to use a 1h+sheild would be for pvp cause the armor loss in pvp is to much to give up, but for an alt FL run if the numbers work out i say get the Spire.

Deleted
    There is allready a shaman with the legendary staff, and hes putting out 42k+ dps if i recall right, so its totally viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Because he's an idiot maybe? I mean what does a 1h+Shield give over a Staff or 1h+Non-shield? Armor? What good is armor outside of soloing and pvp? It's absolutely useless.

If a Staff is better than your 1h+Shield/Offhand option then go with the staff, otherwise stick with your current.

The only reason you should consider it is for the +40 int buff. So ask yourself will staff eat that chant or will mh+oh be better considering the +40 int.

Also dont forget the boe shield off beth that plus a mh is tits.

I don't mean to troll you GM but tell him to keep his advise to himself, to give you a direct solution. No we are not held to a shield and main hand, Blizzard saw to that when Firelands came out. We can get either the staff or the main hand and offhand but. Its all up to you, if anything its a int gain of 10int or something
    +262 Stamina
    +175 Intellect
    Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 118 (0.66% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases spell power by 2333.
    Equip: Increases your mastery rating by 113 (0.63 @ L85).
    +
    +286 Stamina
    +170 Intellect
    +122 Spirit
    Equip: Increases your haste rating by 112 (0.87% @ L85).
    This combo = aprox 2758 sp
    vs
    +611 Stamina
    +408 Intellect
    Equip: Increases your hit rating by 206 (2.01% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 310 (1.73% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases spell power by 2334.
    SP gained from staff = Aprox 2742 A diffrence by only 16 SP a difference of 16 sp is just so very little, However if your trying to max everything out then yes the main hand+ the offhand will be better

In PvE you take whatever gives you better stats.
    Do take into the account that Shields can be Enchanted when comparing.
    Also, sometimes you will get hit by adds/physical spells/physical dots that get reduced by armor - having a shield in these cases helps a lot.

Pvp wise, shield is a blessing and a must!

By 'tied down' maybe he means 'There are shields that only 3 specs can use that drop and there is no way in hell I am going to give you an off hand that like 20 specs can use and shard the shield'.

Deleted
    If it's the same ilvl and itemization you should go for 1h and oh because of int enchant on oh

You are only "tied down" in pvp where shield gives a buit of survivability with armor.
    Staff is perfectly viable, especially if you aren't blocking someone who can't wear shields.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Because he's an idiot maybe? I mean what does a 1h+Shield give over a Staff or 1h+Non-shield? Armor? What good is armor outside of soloing and pvp? It's absolutely useless.

If a Staff is better than your 1h+Shield/Offhand option then go with the staff, otherwise stick with your current.
    Op wants a staff because it's a single BOE, instead of two. Thus cheaper and easier to get.

15+ Year Old Account
    If a staff is an upgrade, you shouldn´t be tied down to a 1H+shield. Just like mages, priests etc. are able to choose either staves or 1H+offhand, you should get that choice too. It's not like that extra armor is going to save your butt if you get hit by a raidboss/dangerous mob. However, if it's not that big of an upgrade, you'd better keep your 1H+shield, as eventually you'll get a 378(?) shield and then a staff is again a downgrade from 1H+shield.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2011-08-29 at 07:40 AM.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by kudrel View Post
    I don't mean to troll you GM but tell him to keep his advise to himself, to give you a direct solution. No we are not held to a shield and main hand, Blizzard saw to that when Firelands came out. We can get either the staff or the main hand and offhand but. Its all up to you, if anything its a int gain of 10int or something
    +262 Stamina
    +175 Intellect
    Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 118 (0.66% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases spell power by 2333.
    Equip: Increases your mastery rating by 113 (0.63 @ L85).
    +
    +286 Stamina
    +170 Intellect
    +122 Spirit
    Equip: Increases your haste rating by 112 (0.87% @ L85).
    This combo = aprox 2758 sp
    vs
    +611 Stamina
    +408 Intellect
    Equip: Increases your hit rating by 206 (2.01% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 310 (1.73% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases spell power by 2334.
    SP gained from staff = Aprox 2742 A diffrence by only 16 SP a difference of 16 sp is just so very little, However if your trying to max everything out then yes the main hand+ the offhand will be better
    Your math seems off. MH+shield+chant=385 int. Less than staff.

Shields make a massive difference in PVP, but in PVE if your required to make use of that bonus armor, your probably gonna die with or without a shield.

Heroic BiS in 4.1 was 1h + offhand. If the staff has better stats, go for it. If you can get the legendary, definitely go for it.

I think that even in PVP when it comes to upgrading, if the staff is particularly good (obvious example = Dragonwrath) then I would use that over a 1h/shield. End of the day the shield represents about 15-20% physical damage reduction, but once you start hitting high levels of resilience, a double LvB sounds much more fun than a bit more defense

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    By 'tied down' maybe he means 'There are shields that only 3 specs can use that drop and there is no way in hell I am going to give you an off hand that like 20 specs can use and shard the shield'.
    since they are doing normals, both Shield and OH are BoE and both go for up to 50k on our server. I wouldnt worry if noone needed either anymore.