Doing this build for a school project, aka don't have to pay :D

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

GPU: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB

PSU: RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin x2

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Aftermarket CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio

HDD/SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB / Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM

Just checking to see if all of this will work together and get a general opinion on the build. The grand total w/o tax and shipping is $1,589.84

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedande View Post
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

GPU: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB

PSU: RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin x2

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Aftermarket CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio

HDD/SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB / Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM

Just checking to see if all of this will work together and get a general opinion on the build. The grand total w/o tax and shipping is $1,589.84
    What are you going to be doing with the rig?

I prefer caviar black or spinpoint to the barracuda.
    I prefer other cooling solutions to the frio (A 70 or NH-D14)
    I prefer NVidia to AMD and would get a GTX 580 personally.

An i7 may be better depending on what exactly the rig will be for. I would also recommend getting low profile ram.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a combo build for high end gaming and video editing. I'm not going to be using a nVidia card though, a friend of mine got two DoA cards in a row when he bought from them. Granted that is probably one in a trillion chance of happening but the fact that it did happen put me off their cards. I've been using a Radeon 4600 HD for almost 4 years now and have never had a hitch with it. Just gonna stick with the company I know works. Coming off the card rant, I'll prolly end up getting a caviar black and a different cooler if you do think its better than what I currently have.

Deleted
    Wait, so you're school's just gonna pay for your system?! Geif! Otherwise, get a Hyper 212+ or A70 for cooling, go for the GTX 580. Basicly what ugg said.

---------- Post added 2011-08-30 at 01:22 AM ----------

Get a i7 2600k for video editing and the equivelent to the 580 then.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Wait, so you're school's just gonna pay for your system?! Geif! Otherwise, get a Hyper 212+ or A70 for cooling, go for the GTX 580. Basicly what ugg said.

---------- Post added 2011-08-30 at 01:22 AM ----------

Get a i7 2600k for video editing and the equivelent to the 580 then.
    what is the equivalent to the 580?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, so you're school's just gonna pay for your system?!
    I wish it was my school, I convinced my grandparents to count this as a birthday and Christmas present. (Wow that sounds bad, Its for my 18th. Didnt want to come off as a spoiled 13 year old.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDocWood View Post
    what is the equivalent to the 580?
    I'm pretty sure it's the 6970. The 580 is superior tho. ;p

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a combo build for high end gaming and video editing. I'm not going to be using a nVidia card though, a friend of mine got two DoA cards in a row when he bought from them. Granted that is probably one in a trillion chance of happening but the fact that it did happen put me off their cards. I've been using a Radeon 4600 HD for almost 4 years now and have never had a hitch with it. Just gonna stick with the company I know works. Coming off the card rant, I'll prolly end up getting a caviar black and a different cooler if you do think its better than what I currently have.
    Considering I've had the reverse happen with Radeon, such is the way of components. Anyhow, the 580 is superior for video editing (CUDA)

Get an i7 2600k, it's better for video editing.
    I would get low profile ram, and even consider bumping it to 4X4 for a total of 16GB (might as well, will give you more options since sometimes editing can chew through a good chunk of ram).

If you want a bangin overclock, get the NH-D14.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure it's the 6970. The 580 is superior tho. ;p
    I thought that was the 570's competitor?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDocWood View Post
    I thought that was the 570's competitor?
    The only one higher is the 6990 wich is a dual CPU, the eqivalent of the 590.

As I said, Nvidia is superior in the top end cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I added a NH-D14 and a caviar black 1TB, I'll be sticking with the i5 and the 6950 though. I may not be paying for this but I don't think I can justify added another 300$ to the price. What would be the difference between the ram I have picked out now and low profile? and the only 4x4 I could find on newegg was corsair stuff with low reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    the noctua is huge, high profile probably won't fit under it depending on the motherboard

10+ Year Old Account
    From the reviews that I've been reading of the Antec 1200 I doubt size will be a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    I added a NH-D14 and a caviar black 1TB, I'll be sticking with the i5 and the 6950 though. I may not be paying for this but I don't think I can justify added another 300$ to the price. What would be the difference between the ram I have picked out now and low profile? and the only 4x4 I could find on newegg was corsair stuff with low reviews.
    you could buy 2X 2X4 kits. low profile ram fits better under heatsinks for your processor. Ripjaws and the like have large obnoxious heat spreaders that just get in the way.

You will notice a massive difference between the i5 2500k and the i7 2600k for video rendering, just as an FYI.

If you have a Micro Center near you, getting a 2600k will be all worth it. only $280.00 base price, plus when you buy a mobo and cpu together, you get another $50.00 off, making the 2600k $230.00 at microcenter when bought with a mobo.

Deleted
    I wish it was my school, I convinced my grandparents to count this as a birthday and Christmas present. (Wow that sounds bad, Its for my 18th. Didnt want to come off as a spoiled 13 year old.)
    its worse that your 18.... your an adult, what are your Gradparents doing buying you this? but have fun with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realized I put 18 should have been 17, but I see your point. I had just bought a car from them so I figured I could leverage this in there.

Antec Twelve Hundred and the NH-D14 have issues, the side window panel, if you install the 120mm fan, the heat sink will hit the fan making it unable to close the side window.

You could always get a HAF X for about $25 more. It is absolutely massive and has fantastic airflow. No issues with the NH-D14

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

This is a combo build for high end gaming and video editing. I'm not going to be using a nVidia card though,
    If you're going to be doing video editing more than hour or two per week, get Nvidia card. Hardware acceleration in any professional level software for AMD cards is close to zero, but CUDA is widely supported. Same thing goes for OpenGL support which works better in Nvidia cards.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If you're going to be doing video editing more than hour or two per week, get Nvidia card. Hardware acceleration in any professional level software for AMD cards is close to zero, but CUDA is widely supported. Same thing goes for OpenGL support which works better in Nvidia cards.
    That's always why I say NVidia for these situations. My GTX 460 outperforms way higher AMD cards for folding simply because of CUDA.