Deleted

Hex Breaking Random?

I have done many dungeons with it breaking and although a long way from combat I disregarded it as someone doing it. But last night I was in a raid with the guild and it broke when we were a distance from it. We check the logs and it was the auto attack from the DK tank who was around 20 yards away. Is there some bug I am missing? Hex breaks randomly about 1/10 for me I would guess, any one else experiencing this? Does it have some random chance to break?

Thanks

yeah this happened to me all the time when i played (quit a few months ago) i always assumed it was cause im resto and not hit caped (i have no idea if hit cap matters to CC its just what i guessed) but who knows are you hit capped or maybe its just a bug. Happened in both 5 man heroics and raids

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grazzer View Post
    yeah this happened to me all the time when i played (quit a few months ago) i always assumed it was cause im resto and not hit caped (i have no idea if hit cap matters to CC its just what i guessed) but who knows are you hit capped or maybe its just a bug. Happened in both 5 man heroics and raids
    Could be - I was resto and not hit capped but I can understand a miss when I cast it but once I have applied it does the hit cap count for something else?

Thanks

Deleted
    On my Enhancement Shaman (full hit capped) Hex tends to break early fairly often, and I can be certain it's nobody breaking it.

I think it simply just does break early sometimes.

Some CC abilities wear off early if the user isn't hit capped, from what I know.

A hit check is made every few seconds while the spell lasts on the target, if it fails, the CC breaks.

If you have a 5% chance to miss vs. a lvl [x] target, EVERY SECOND Hex has a 5% chance to break. This is why it appears random... it's not just the initial cast that can miss.
    Ilam - <Gardian> | Wiping with Benefits - Frostmourne US - armory

CCs. Are dots. They have a chance to miss each time it ticks.

Deleted
    Great thanks all - that explains it

Quote Originally Posted by BombayRoll View Post
    I have done many dungeons with it breaking and although a long way from combat I disregarded it as someone doing it. But last night I was in a raid with the guild and it broke when we were a distance from it. We check the logs and it was the auto attack from the DK tank who was around 20 yards away. Is there some bug I am missing? Hex breaks randomly about 1/10 for me I would guess, any one else experiencing this? Does it have some random chance to break?

Thanks
    If you are not hit capped hex ahs a chance to break every second. It sucks, but hey, Resto Shammies are OP in PVP so we cant complain about anything in PVE because of that, apparently.

Deleted
    The CC'ed mob "rerolls" against your hit chance periodically.

Sorry to open your eyes on this one, but there is always a 1 percent chance to fail. That goes with everything be it spell, swing, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    as others mentioned, mobs have heartbeat resist, meaning each interval they have a chance to resist your spell after it was applied.
    to be honest, I thought heartbear resist was removed in/after BC...never seen it happen afterwards.
    and BTW @ Muzzlok, the 1% miss that cant be negated was removed with cata AFAIK.
    In the end the winner is still the last man standing.

Deleted
    Hex is one of those CCs that is subject to heart-beat resists. If you're not hit capped even if the original cast lands every so often it gets checked against your hit again and can break early. This is why I always hate healers hexing without being asked, quite often ends with a loose mob. (Heck tbh this goes for dps using cc unasked and not reaplyinh the cc if we're still in combat, suddenly a loose mob the tank wasn't expecting to have to deal with).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzlok View Post
    Sorry to open your eyes on this one, but there is always a 1 percent chance to fail. That goes with everything be it spell, swing, etc.
    This was removed in 3.0.1.

Time to start to open your eyes.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Wrong. So completely and utterly wrong and contrary to every source of evidence available to anyone that I'm finding it hard to believe you're not deliberately giving bad advice because you think it's funny.

My main spec is a non tc resto spec, my off is a hit capped tc resto spec. If I am expected to cc I use my offspec, cc doesn't break and I can also hit 5k dps and still heal.

Get big brother or some other add-on will tell you why cc is breaking.

This is not true for a LONG time.
    You need your eyes opened.

CC breaks due to lack of hit rating.