10+ Year Old Account

Rugged Leather in Winterspring, a good income for leveling skinners/characters

So I decided to farm some Rugged Leather yesterday. I used my Death Knight and farmed level 51-53ish Frostsabers in northern Winterspring. I stayed away from the lower level bears and chimeras nearby.

Turns out the AH is completely lacking Rugged Leather! I'm selling them for 100g a stack currently, and I might be able to get even more. The demand is high by leveling Leather Workers, and Rugged Leather isn't farmed much by leveling characters. Meaning even with a level 70, or maybe even level 60, you can get 1000g/hour from farming up there, since the demand is higher than the supply. Which is pretty good for a low level outdoor farming spot. You don't need to have your level 85 main character in full epics for it.

There are of course other ways to make gold that are far superior, but for the casual player that doesn't want to spend time playing the AH or being too advanced with his/hers professions, this is a good and easy way to make a little extra gold.

And you don't even need to have your skinning maxed out for it. What is needed to skin level 54ish anyway? 270? 280?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    (from wiki):
    Up to skinning 100, you can find out the highest level mob you can skin by: ((Skinning skill)/10)+10.

After skill 100 it's skinning = 5 x Mob level (so for example a Level 21 Wolf would require 105 skill)

Blasted Lands is pretty good for skinning too, and you can get there via the portal to the Dark Portal.
    I still reckon the Yetis in Winterspring are the best though - cause they drop money as well as being skinnable.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Rugged leather definately does sell well but found it a bit hit or miss, least on my server. Tried it one day and quickly sold them for 80g a stack, few days later i try again and get undercut all the way down to 40g and not even the cheap stuff was moving. Once your higher level, dont know waht exatly, you can start soling one of the instances in the area(sorry blanking on the name) and there are packs of dogs inside that have a very high drop rate on rugged leather for a quick turn around. I know i did it back in wrath on an undergeared 80 pulling all 5/6 packs with little effort so pulling less i can imagine you dont need to be anywhere near that high(depending on class/spec).

edit: just remembered it wasnt wintersrping i was at, was ferals. Dire maul north was the instance(i think, not 100% on that)
    Last edited by Stormtov; 2011-08-30 at 03:43 PM.

This is going to be server based, on my server I had trouble off-loading all my rugged leather but heavy and medium were selling like hot cakes.