Poll: Gandalf, or Dumbledore?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gandalf isn't even considered a human and he's come back from death. Pretty sure Gandalf would wipe the floor with Dumbledore.

Clearly gandalf coz dumbledore fell of a bridge in some mines.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I voted for the guy that doesn't have "Dumb" in his name... it's kinda a dead giveaway...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    Gandalf isn't even considered a human and he's come back from death. Pretty sure Gandalf would wipe the floor with Dumbledore.
    He's not human, and I believe he's about 7000 years old.

If they were both mortal, Dumbledore would easily win.

I voted for Dumbledore, he's always 100 steps ahead thinking wise of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    If they were both mortal, Dumbledore would easily win.

I voted for Dumbledore, he's always 100 steps ahead thinking wise of everyone else.
    Gandalf's plan to beat Sauron was thousands of years in the making. If Dumbledore is 100 steps ahead of everyone Gandalf is a million steps ahead. Also, refer to my previous posts concerning Gandalf's godlike damaging abilities, I feel it's redundant to repeat myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Gandalf's plan to beat Sauron was thousands of years in the making. If Dumbledore is 100 steps ahead of everyone Gandalf is a million steps ahead. Also, refer to my previous posts concerning Gandalf's godlike damaging abilities, I feel it's redundant to repeat myself.
    Ya he's so smart he got trapped in a tower with Sauromon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dumbledore was killed... permanently...

so yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Dumbledore was killed... permanently...

so yeah
    And it was planned so yeah.

You gotta understand two things. One Saruman was more powerful than him at the time. And two, Saruman was the last person that anyone thought would be corrupted. Saruman was such a kind and benevolent person, it would be like if Jesus was your best friend for your whole life, and then he turned evil. It was such a ridiculously unexpected transformation, nobody that knew Saruman would have ever seen it coming without actually being a mind reader.

To put it in terms everyone can understand, since I assume everyone here plays wow. It'd be like if you were taking a quest from Tirion Fordring, and he turns around, chops your head off, and says, "trolololol I'm a DK bitch!"
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-08-31 at 04:34 AM.

Point proven, if both were mortal, which would make it Dumbledore Vs. Gandalf the Grey then Dumbledore would easily win, no contest. Gandalf became more powerful after he was resurrected by Eru. That was when he then became Gandalf the White.

Point proven, if both were mortal, which would make it Dumbledore Vs. Gandalf the Grey then Dumbledore would easily win, no contest. Gandalf became more powerful after he was resurrected by Eru. That was when he then became Gandalf the White.
    Uh, how exactly would Dumbledore win easily? Flame of Anor says hi, and btw your face is gone, I melted it off.

Nicholas Cage, you know from that wizard movie he was in Face Off?, would kick both of their asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Gandalf went Smack down on a Balrog

I think the answer is clear.

Deleted
    How are so many saying that Gandalf would win. LotR Doesn't even have "real" magic, like in WoW etc. Spells there are more like buffs and practical things like making light or fire or scaring the dead away. Gandalf couldn't kill almost anything with magic and mostly used normal means for that, like hes sword (which was magical by the way and pretty good).

So if he would have to fight Dumbledore, he would have to go after him with a sword, which isn't much considering HP universe actually had very powerful magic that could kill, freeze, put people people to sleep or they could just throw fireballs and shoot lightning from their wands.

If would basically be a powerful mage against a guy with a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    How are so many saying that Gandalf would win. LotR Doesn't even have "real" magic, like in WoW etc. Spells there are more like buffs and practical things like making light or fire or scaring the dead away. Gandalf couldn't kill almost anything with magic and mostly used normal means for that, like hes sword (which was magical by the way and pretty good).

So if he would have to fight Dumbledore, he would have to go after him with a sword, which isn't much considering HP universe actually had very powerful magic that could kill, freeze, put people people to sleep or they could just throw fireballs and shoot lightning from their wands.

A demi-god who can ressurect himself, and fought a Balrog with that sword. Just saying
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post

Read the books. Don't get me wrong, the movies were cool and brought lotr to life in an awesome way, but they butcher the lore so badly on certain points it's not even funny. Gandalf is powerful beyond the comprehension of mortals. Gandalf is very modest, he never uses his full powers unless a desperate situation calls for them. The only thing that would have made him use his full power was the Balrog, and he is IMMUNE TO MAGIC.

Gandalf serves Illuvatar and the secret fire. Illuvatar is the most powerful of the Valar, the gods that created the universe. The secret fire is his spirit. At any time Gandalf can call on the secret fire and destroy virtually anything. The only things he'd be unable to destroy are the one ring, and the Balrog. Using that much power weakens Gandalf though, that's why he doesn't go around blasting it at every orc, wraith and goblin that moves.

In other words. Gandalf could obliterate a foe on the level of Deathwing in one hit. Dumbledore would be literally nothing for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a joke? That old man is out of that other old mans league!
    Last edited by Berteh; 2011-09-01 at 10:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Persistence View Post
    Youtube is full of idiots who probably don't know the backstory of either character. MMO Champ poll > Youtube poll. Youtube is shit.
    Both have their equal share of downies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Read the books. Don't get me wrong, the movies were cool and brought lotr to life in an awesome way, but they butcher the lore so badly on certain points it's not even funny. Gandalf is powerful beyond the comprehension of mortals. Gandalf is very modest, he never uses his full powers unless a desperate situation calls for them. The only thing that would have made him use his full power was the Balrog, and he is IMMUNE TO MAGIC.

Gandalf serves Illuvatar and the secret fire. Illuvatar is the most powerful of the Valar, the gods that created the universe. The secret fire is his spirit. At any time Gandalf can call on the secret fire and destroy virtually anything. The only things he'd be unable to destroy are the one ring, and the Balrog. Using that much power weakens Gandalf though, that's why he doesn't go around blasting it at every orc, wraith and goblin that moves.

In other words. Gandalf could obliterate a foe on the level of Deathwing in one hit. Dumbledore would be literally nothing for him.
    Then why was he playing a cheerleader in most battles and didn't use any magic? He could have saved countless lives. I have read the books by the way and he basically just let children fight and die, not to mention a lot of soldiers. He could just have cleared the battlefield with 1 spell if he was so powerful. Instead he was just riding around, cheering people and occasionally whacking an orc with hes sword.

And about the immortal part, that may be true although he did die fighting the Balrog. After that, he was given time to to only finish hes work but not remain. But let's assume he was immortal, even then, Dumbledore could have just trapped him in ice or sent him into another dimension or something.