Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GTX 570 + 2500K @ 3,3 - low framerates?

Hi all fellow MMO-champs

I just got my new PC a couple of days ago, GTX 570, 2500K, 8 GB of RAM, Z68 UD3P mobo. As I was installing my favorite applications and games, I figures that I should try WoW on this beast. My former Computer ran the game with 30 on fair When the load screen had finished, I found my toon standing somewhere in an unpopulated area in the mountains outside
    Stormwind. I checked my FPS. 150-200! With every little detail set on max! (4x AA) I quickly mounted my Netherdrake and flew to SW's most populated area. And I was shocked. My FPS fell to about 35-40ish..! Check out the screenshot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...011195459.jpg/
    I tried to OC my CPU to 4 GHz /w stock cooler. There seemed to be no difference. I've heard some people talking about CPU-bottleneck, but I just figured that it wouldn't be a problem with this very powerful CPU.
    Addtional info: nVidia driver: 280.26

I'm now asking people who have the same specs as me, what are your experience?
    People who now what might cause this are welcome to post a solution.

/Wiltrold

Deleted
    Try DX 11, this can bring fps boost

Shadows. Your CPU has to draw detailed shadows of hundreds of people at the same time. Lower the shadows.

Deleted
    A very crowded area on a high populated server with shadows on ultra can bring even a beast of a computer like yours to it's knees. Try to change shadow quality to high, you should see that fps go up to around 60.

Another thing is...
    Why do you need more than 40 fps in the cities ?

Quote Originally Posted by InTeNsO View Post
    Try DX 11, this can bring fps boost
    This actually make my FPS rise. Elwynn forest 70-90

---------- Post added 2011-08-30 at 08:38 PM ----------

I don't need more I just got A little frightened, thinking: "Is there something wrong with the hardware?", "Is this normal?"
    Last edited by Wiltrold; 2011-08-30 at 06:39 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds wierd, really..

I max everything out, run on a i7, 3.6ghz a GTX 560 ti, slightly OCed, not much.

I dont feel any impacts at all anywhere.. I run with vsync on and got stable 60 everywhere i go, if i remove it.. it sometimes peak around 200 and dips to like 95 or so in cities, but anything above 60 is really useless.

but, stable 60 everywhere, 52c on the card.

oh ya, one more thing.

You might wanna go make sure that the power setting on your card is set to maximum performance, otherwise it cuts the power on and off where its needed and such, that can lead to fps drop in locations. Will use a bit more power, but whatever.. its stable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltrold View Post
    I tried to OC my CPU to 4 GHz /w stock cooler. There seemed to be no difference. I've heard some people talking about CPU-bottleneck, but I just figured that it wouldn't be a problem with this very powerful CPU.
    If over clocking your CPU made no difference then it's not a CPU bottleneck - it's more likely to be a GPU bottleneck unless you didn't actually manage to over clock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    A very crowded area on a high populated server with shadows on ultra can bring even a beast of a computer like yours to it's knees. Try to change shadow quality to high, you should see that fps go up to around 60.
    Everything on low -> 62 FPS. This may be my CPU..

I don't need more I just got A little frightened, thinking: "Is there something wrong with the hardware?", "Is this normal?"
    There is something wrong with the game, not with the hardware.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raarup View Post
    Sounds wierd, really..

I max everything out, run on a i7, 3.6ghz a GTX 560 ti, slightly OCed, not much.

I dont feel any impacts at all anywhere.. I run with vsync on and got stable 60 everywhere i go, if i remove it.. it sometimes peak around 200 and dips to like 95 or so in cities, but anything above 60 is really useless.

but, stable 60 everywhere, 52c on the card.

oh ya, one more thing.

You might wanna go make sure that the power setting on your card is set to maximum performance, otherwise it cuts the power on and off where its needed and such, that can lead to fps drop in locations. Will use a bit more power, but whatever.. its stable.
    I don't want to be that guy but... I seriously doubt you get 95fps as lowest in a very crowded city during peak hours with everything on ultra at 1080p resolution. I got almost the exact setup, given a i5 2500k on 4.7Ghz and my 560ti is usually on 910Mhz in WoW, and I can get as low as 40fps during peak hours in Org.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I don't want to be that guy but... I seriously doubt you get 95fps as lowest in a very crowded city during peak hours with everything on ultra at 1080p resolution. I got almost the exact setup, given a i5 2500k on 4.7Ghz and my 560ti is usually on 910Mhz in WoW, and I can get as low as 40fps during peak hours in Org.
    I'm guessing a low population server.

Deleted
    Everything on low -> 62 FPS. This may be my CPU..
    Mind that Vsync locks your framerate to 60fps (given a 60Hz monitor).

Deleted
    Nothing to do with low pop.. Im in stormwind, thats not as heavy as ogri

My gfx runs 980, but wont make much of a difference from yours anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc89a44cbed8; 2011-08-30 at 07:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Has a lot to do with the population. Come to Mal'Ganis during prime hours and sit in Orgrimmar, then go to Stormwind and see if there's a fps difference.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted

My gfx runs 980, but wont make much of a difference from yours anyway.
    SW is as heavy as org, I played both on equal populated servers.

Deleted
    Either way, its complete bullshit to compare it to be in a city, because normaly you dont do anything vital there.. compare it on a raid ro such.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either way, its complete bullshit to compare it to be in a city, because normaly you dont do anything vital there.. compare it on a raid ro such.
    It's only bullshit because it nullifies your viewpoint, which has no bearing on the issue the OP was describing and curious about.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is it a new installation of of World of Warcraft? If not did you delete the WTF / Cache / Interface folders prior to starting up the game? Is the motherboard drivers also updated and installed? Is Windows Firewall set up for World of Warcraft? Is your anti virus set up to create an exception for World of Warcraft?

Cover those bases I guarantee one will fix your issue.

Deleted
    Your CPU will have its Energy Power Settings on auto which auto Increases/reduces the speed at which you CPU runs. When nothing is running it will reduce its speed, when you have multiple things running including wow it will increase it. This can reduce your fps as even when runnin g wow hard, it highly unlikely your cpu will run at 100% its true speed. Turning this off will mean your CPU will run at full speed all the while and you should see a increases in your fps in Highly populated area's.

Not sure its completely worth it tbh thou, you should only be worring if your fps in raids drops to low