Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

alysrazor flight

so my guild is trying out alysrazor normal atm (10m), and i'm flying (affliction). would it be a dps increase if i stack on mastery instead of haste for that fight ?

thnx in advance.

p.s.: armory in sig if u need to check something out

No, there is no reason to reforge for this fight. Since affliction has no haste cap(switch to drain soul once shadow bolt is 1.00 cast time). Just refresh DoTs like normal(just before they fall) and spame Sbolt / Drain Soul depending on your stacks.

I can't say for sure (I'm a Shadow Priest), but if your mastery is similar to ours (pretty much increases dot damage) then the dps gain is at most 600~800 in my experience, which imo isn't worth the hassle, but still it can be different with Warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    No, there is no reason to reforge for this fight. Since affliction has no haste cap(switch to drain soul once shadow bolt is 1.00 cast time). Just refresh DoTs like normal(just before they fall) and spame Sbolt / Drain Soul depending on your stacks.
    Dont forget refreshing dots early is better than waiting for them to almost fall due to haste increasing every time u go through a ring, so refresh dots every 2-3 rings or its a dps loss waiting for them to let them fall normally

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    right, thnx for the quick replies.

quick question tho, atm i'm doing 42-52k dps on our attempts...is that any good ? or should i be doing more ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do about 42-47k, but did not start multidotting the ads downstairs yet, so there is a shitload of potential DPS as you might imagine...
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    I do about 42-47k, but did not start multidotting the ads downstairs yet, so there is a shitload of potential DPS as you might imagine...
    true, but tbh, our tanks are handling their adds beautifully :P, so ill just be padding ^^

p.s. nice to know my dps is good enough

Edit: lol at your avatar

10+ Year Old Account
    As a combat rogue, I get around 65-67k. I'm assuming since combat and afflic scale with haste similarly (lol?) so I think you're slightly low, but not too far off.
    This is WITHOUT blade flurry, btw. With it, I could meter pad up to 85k or so.

Also: I don't think your felhunter is able to hit Alys. Try switching to Succ, maybe?
    Last edited by Theleklol; 2011-08-31 at 12:17 AM.
    Temple of Light-ShadowsongUS
    Get Along Gang-ShadowsongUS (Disbanded)
    ~Alanaria~:::Cyclønite:::Thelek

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    nah, non of our pets can hit her while she's flying, and thats the main reason for our dps to be lower on this fights, compared to Fmages, Spriests etc

Well, since I have #1 Demo and Afflic on Alysrazor 25 Normal(on my alt warlock on Kil'jaeden)I can tell you what I do.

I start off with all my CDs on pull, fly up do NORMAL rotation(don't refresh dots early), make sure you switch to Drain Soul when Shadow Bolt is under 1.00 cast time, and lastly(if you wana try to get ranked) dot hatchlings and the clawshapers in burnout phase.

As demo...blow everything on pull, should be able to get another meta off, then another during Burnout and repeat(thats how i got #1.)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also use drain soul when my shadowbolt reach 1 sec cast, also I use bane of agony instead of bane of doom then.

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Hmm, kinda good idea to also multidot, havent thought of that :P.
    Should be doing that when alys is going down for a few sec.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do it oposite too you as im down and dot the boss as she flies past above me.I use doom on her and agony on adds as
    soulswapping nerfs doom swops badly but works sweet on agony swops.

Interesting post tho and good luck on your flight!

Mastery does scale better than haste on this fight by a significant margin at high stacks. But its not really worth reforging for 1 fight, unless your group is wiping at like 5% or less.

Our last heroic kill I got up to 56k DPS which is pretty decent for aff, without multi-dotting (which is really just meter padding unless yer tanks are having troubles). Other classes do scale better than us due to the fact that none of our pets can consistently hit the boss (even the imp), and its best just to use felpuppy since his demon soul is OP on this encounter... Even losing out on our pet DPS we aren't a terrible at flying, and do outscale several other classes due to our DoT heavy mechanics.

A few questions:

1. As affliction flying on heroic alys, is it better to pot during the burn phase with the damage boost + hero after tornadoes, or save it for <25% drain soul executes with demon soul/rune of zeth and flying buffs?

2. Also, the channeling adds in the burn phase, I should be dotting them too right? Does damage they take cleave onto the boss? And if so, would Infernal be better than Doomguard here because of it's aoe hitting the 2 adds, thereby cleaving the boss more?

3. Lastly, I realize we're supposed to switch to drain soul when shadow bolt becomes a 1.00 sec cast, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but is this better than switching to soul fire, which won't get to 1.00 sec cast as quickly as shadow bolt? Then when soul fire is 1.00 sec, switch to drain soul? Before execute range of course.
    Last edited by Babb; 2011-09-01 at 09:53 PM.

I used mine during the sub-25% burn phase, there has to be some time where you have both the flying buffs and her damage taken debuff going at the same time.

Am I missing something major here? Why would the add damage cleave onto the boss? I have literally never heard this before

Just drain soul as soon as shadowbolts start GCD gapping, that spell is so amazing for this fight :3

1) keep your pot for the burn phase after 25% if you know that it will have it's full duration, because the hero hast boost will never overtake the double damage and the 12% shadow damage of drain soul and your other dots.

2) the damage the adds take do not cleave the boss... so no, keep using doomguard., i don't know if you should dot the 2, juste soul swap one and keep spamming the boss.

3) LOL, i hope you're not seriously considering soul fire in a full shadow spec , shadow bolt does 25% more damage and is better even under 1sec cast time, no need to talk about drain soul..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Am I missing something major here? Why would the add damage cleave onto the boss? I have literally never heard this before
    The fire mage in my guild told me I should dot them cuz it does more damage to the boss somehow. I had never heard of this either, and was just curious. Is he full of crap? I know fire mages cleave a lot with their aoe, but I don't have a mage and don't know how that all works. Maybe he thought I could cleave or something? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    there has to be some time where you have both the flying buffs and her damage taken debuff going at the same time.
    Yes I do, but not in execute range. My guild has done 1 night of attempts on her heroic 10 man, had a couple <5% wipes due to dumb stuff, but the way our dps was going, we weren't going to hit a 2nd ground-burn phase, or at least a not a very long one; we were getting her all the way to 25% on a couple attempts by the end of the 1st ground-burn, as long as everyone was alive. On a good attempt, the mage and I can get her to 75-80% before 1st tornadoes, then on the ground-burn we'd get her to 25-35% depending on how many people lived through tornadoes. So I'm assuming with executes, the mage and I can do more than we did the first flying phase, and therefore won't get a 2nd ground phase, or a very short one. So my choice is either pot on the 1st ground burn with my flying buffs if I don't mess up during tornadoes, or after, when I'm back up flying and executing.
    Last edited by Babb; 2011-09-01 at 11:19 PM.

Your fire mage is coming up with creative excuses to pad meters.

Only possible thing I can imagine is his living bomb hitting the boss, or the boss one hitting adds.

EDIT : I believe using a GCD to impact the boss to put Living Bomb on the two adds in burn phase is actually an effective dps increase, but everything else in the fight is just padding.
    Last edited by shapow; 2011-09-01 at 11:13 PM.
    Member of the 4.3 Firelord club.
    The very mention of demon warlock as a tanking spec makes me vomit profusely, so please abstain from it.

WBC needs damagers, ELE/ARMS/FIRE needed most. Wendigobrewing.com to apply! 2/8 heroic 25m. 3 days, 4 hours a day.

I was day dreaming at work today and correct me if I'm wrong but... say as affliction going in air on 10 man I was to stand right on top of the voracious hatchling and be the one to get aggro on it thus getting the damage boost. Would he be able to hit me in the air? (I don't think so) and then I could soul swap and keep dots on hatchling and alysrazor for some ridiculous damage. Has anyone tried this? I'm assuming our dots on the voracious hatchling would do a lot more damage than tanks with this buff.