High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Network Question

My Desktop PC recognizes an older laptop that I've had for some time on the same network however it won't pick up the new addition(laptop) that I just picked up recently. Now this laptop is connected to the same router as the other laptop and it also has no internet connectivity issues. My laptop is capable of seeing my Desktop PC but not the other laptop in the network.

Any Ideas why it won't show up on my desktop?

Deleted
    Did you try restarting your PC?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Laptop probably not on the same homegroup, although the connectivity of them becomes slightly more labored if they're running different versions of windows, i.e. a couple running 7/Vista and one running XP but it's not that much more difficult.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Restart, check and both are Windows 7 with full updates etc etc. Still however this remains a problem as I'm attempting to setup homegroup but my laptop isn't in the same network even though it should be (same router etc). Thanks for the suggestions.

whether or not you can see it just type in a folder '\\COMPUTERNAME'
    it should work, or bring up user/pass etc

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    in the command prompt, do on both the Desktop and the new laptop "ipconfig" without the quote's.

The Gateway and Subnet should be the same. If it's not, your laptop has no connection. Some laptops require for the LAN port to be active to be placed on the power supply and not on the battery (HP and Dell laptops tend to do that for no real reason).

Start with this to be honest.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Stood in the Fire skidmarksteve's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    check firewalls....?

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    in the command prompt, do on both the Desktop and the new laptop "ipconfig" without the quote's.

The Gateway and Subnet should be the same. If it's not, your laptop has no connection. Some laptops require for the LAN port to be active to be placed on the power supply and not on the battery (HP and Dell laptops tend to do that for no real reason).

Start with this to be honest.
    He said its on the router and has internet, so he is more than likely DHCP assigned.

Are all computers running windows seven? Are you using a homegroup? I had similar issues, I found my resolution on smallnetbuider forums. Because I had a xp machine I ended up killing my homegroup.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Subnet - everything looks fine
    Both using Windows 7
    Firewall should be allowing homegroup (under private/home settings which I have set my connection to home.)

I've created the homegroup on my Desktop but when I attempt to join on my laptop it won't allow me to. The only option is to create a new homegroup.. very confused.

-- Avoid homegroup download hamachi, problem solved.
    Last edited by Bonesjr; 2011-08-31 at 07:16 PM.