New To Disc Healing

Hey Priests of MMO-Champion.

I am posting here on the behalf of the Disc Priest in our 10 man guild who recently rerolled this character from her alt to main, as our guild was short of healers.

She just wanted to know how her healing was doing and if there is anything she is doing right/wrong as she is very new to the spec

Armory Link - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arika/advanced

World of Logs Rhyolith kill (only one i have atm) - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...?s=3545&e=3911

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks

That's an almost perfectly executed rhyo, your healers were just along for the ride. However, for phase 2 it looks like she got confused and didn't really know what to do or something - the other healers spike to 40k she stays at her baseline 10-15k. Probably didn't use her cooldowns, probably didn't anticipate the phase change, maybe ran oom?

Once you have it, post something where healing gets hectic. I'd like to see 60-70kHPS shared between healers for 30 seconds or more.

Looking at her healing breakdown, my very first reaction is that her activity time is way too high. A properly played raidhealing priest should have ~85-90% activity time on a fight like rhyo. It's a symptom of a couple general mistakes:

- Gheal is extremely inefficient as a raidhealing tool. It only gives you good efficiency if you're stacking grace on your target. On this kind of a fight penance should probably rank higher. Although, it does look like priest/pala were sharing tank heals. Hard to see where all those gheals went. if your priest is primarily a raid healer, 10% gheal is way too high. If you spot heal properly with gheal it should rank less than 3%

- Basically, leaning too hard on the GHeal button, it may accomplish the task at hand but very inefficiently (unless aimed at tank of course!). One healer being inefficient forces the other healers to pick up slack when her mana starts to go low. They in turn have to heal inefficiently because now they're required to spike higher. You now have a significantly shorter time limit to kill the boss.

Priests do not get to be inefficient. Our class is way less forgiving on this than most others, probably intentionally because our heals are also extremely precise. If (1) tank is healthy (2) incoming damage is low (3) you can't land a GOOD PoH, sometimes the right answer is to sit on your hands and do nothing. Even casting Heal is very inefficient compared to waiting another 2-3 seconds for raid damage to tick up for a PoH. It's why I start wondering when I see a priest with 97% activity on a boss like rhyo, who has long periods of low damage.

There are a number of reasons why the pally sould be a dedicated tank healer, and the priest should be primarily on raid but backing up the tank healer as necessary.

3 shields a minute, low for some fights but here she probably got every rapture she could.
    Overheal is right on the mark (25% is fine)
    I don't know, it takes a lot of practice.

Spec is quite a bit off, there are a number of guides stickied...
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-31 at 04:18 PM.

its been found that if specced in Train of Thought (ToT) that greater heal is actually more efficent than heal
    as long as you use inner focus

I would have her reforge out of mastery and into crit. She will see way better results. Also she should only need1 TP in Veiled Shadows and needs to put that point into Divine Fury. She cast heal/GH 58 times, thats 8.7 seconds of cast time. Heal is cast way to much imo and it was 45% overheal? WFT! She needs to drop 2 points in Inner Sanctum and put them into Train of Thought and start choosing GH as a direct heal more than heal. Also DP is a personal choice but I would rather have that point in Darkness since Disc allready has big shields and Binding Heal which she never cast??? Hmmm....

10+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of Prayer of Healing would be better than Glyph of Power Word: Barrier, PW:B wasn't placed at all in raid and PoH was second to DA in healing done.

Seems your Priest is worried about mana, has taken 2/2 VS, (but didn't use Fiend) Weapon Enchant is Heartsong, should be PT, helm has +40 spirit gem, should be +int/+spirit, and had the troll wand Touch of Discord drop but didn't equip. Even at the gear lvl your Priest has Int > Spirit.

On your kill Inner Fire/ Inner Will was not used at all.

Also, just a guess, the Druid and Pally both out gear her, slow casting GH and Heal are not helping in overhealing, could use more Haste.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...or-New-Raiders

I don't like this post, it's boring and not very realistic.
    /move along. Didn't think it'd be correct for me to delete a 3 hour old post.

-------------

I know that what you are saying is absolutely true, vazar. For a raid healer, though, you have to compare GH/IF to PoH. There's a correct number of Gheals to use on the raid as spot heals, and if you overdo it you lose a TON of efficiency. Train of thought helps some, but it's meant as a tank healing talent - its value diminishes the more you use GHeal, offset by Grace. Nukle's GHeals are used for raid spotheals, so most of them don't get grace or RH. Penance gains value, GHeal loses value.

PoH is worth about 17 HPM for me.

Inner Focus has a cooldown of 45 seconds. Train of Thought reduces that cooldown 5 seconds.
    So, how expensive is GHeal after you consider Inner Focus? It depends how often you cast GHeal.
    If you cast GHeal non-stop (not possible realistically) you would get 1 in 7 GHeals free, and the savings from IF would be low.
    If you cast Gheal less frequently, you get fewer free Gheals but a higher percentage of your Gheals are free (ie, effic is higher)

Nukle casts GHeal 16 times in 6 minutes. By default you get 8 IF during this time span but you probably don't get to use one of those. We say 7.
    9 hardcast GHeals = 1 more free IF. Now we say 8 GHeal were free of the 16 cast, if it were used properly!

1) If you're maintaining Grace and GHeals are all aimed at the tank, it would be worth 19 HPM (nice! but this is not the case. Grace uptime was 50%, tank only gets 2 gheals)
    2) If Gheals are being used to spot heal, this was worth 14 HPM

There is a sweet spot for making GHeal an attractive spot cast for raid healers, and I guess Nukle isn't that far off the mark. Should be, in a perfect world, very close to 2 GHeal per minute. At this point GHeal becomes more cost efficient than PoH. There could be some 'most efficient way' to time this but you don't get that luxury while you're healing, you just get to decide in a given moment which healing spell is appropriate. De-prioritize GHeal slightly, use a PoH ranging addon, wait for good PoHs when you can.

Where it gets really interesting is when you start using IF for PoH. Really crazy effic time if you use this behavior, and it makes sense to GHeal a little bit more often. That's another entire discussion.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-31 at 07:08 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks all. Thanks Exi for posting.

talents: yes will def change around. had DP as holy so thought it would be useful but hardly use it so yes better to switch out of it. will also put in points in train of thought & out of inner sanctum.

spells: didn't realise i Heal-ed/GH-ed so much during the fight. i thought i could use them as fillers for Grace but thats probably not the right approach. I switched off Binding Heal for some reason after I moved out of Holy but I will bring it back in. duh !

stats: thought mastery should be stacked but will try crit and check out the differences.

Rhyo fight: I was on tank with pally and healing raid ad-hoc with drood. popped divine hymn right at start of phase 2 and then spammed POH - i forgot to pop barrier ! any other aoe heals i could have used?

tx !

I'd like a little advice as well as we recently got our 1st Beth kill which I am linking for review.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f...s=9737&e=10204

I go with a haste valued build.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...macus/advanced

Got him by the skin of our teeth so looking for ways to optimize before the next raid. Also got Rhyolith though I do not have any logs for that fight at the moment.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Hamacus; 2011-08-31 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nuk~ Keep Grace and Isp on tank(s) with Penance and PW:S for Rapture, but with a Pally in your group, try Int>Spirit>Haste>Crit>Mastery. You should be focusing on maintaining tank(s) but mostly raid healing.

Edit:

Ham~ Beth 7:47? Heals look fine, I would be more worried about DPS strats, are they killing adds so Beth doesn't heal in p2?
    Also, grab a buff add-on, or configure your raid frames to tell you when IF/W are missing.
    Last edited by Madam; 2011-08-31 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks Madam. Yeah I need to get that added to my raid frames. I was happy with the healing teams performance just begging for the fight to be over by the end. Think Beth did eat an add at the end. Consistent overall dps has been an issue for us on this fight though things are finally looking up. My preferred spec is Shadow though I have been healing due to a healing shortage. Actually starting to have fun healing but don't tell anyone.
    Last edited by Hamacus; 2011-08-31 at 06:41 PM.

Deleted
    tx Madam. what is Isp btw?

~Nuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nuk View Post
    i thought i could use them as fillers for Grace but thats probably not the right approach
    (....)
    stats: thought mastery should be stacked but will try crit and check out the differences.
    (...)
    Rhyo fight: I was on tank with pally and healing raid ad-hoc with drood. popped divine hymn right at start of phase 2 and then spammed POH - i forgot to pop barrier ! any other aoe heals i could have used?
    Filler to stack grace: If you are 100% face time on tank filling with heal is the correct thing to do (even after the ToT debate). If you are raid healing (even supporting tank same time) PoH is your strongest spell, and GH becomes very lackluster compared to penance for spot healing (even after considering ToT). Probably someone out there will make a case that you should always be using GH, but I think they're taking a few ideas out of context.

There are problems stacking crit. There are benefits stacking mastery despite mastery's low return.
    Frankly I keep waffling on what is 'best' approach to secondary stats. Easiest / most stable approach for beginners is probably haste stacking. The priority Madam said is probably highest possible PoH output.

Regarding divine hymn, even holy priests complain about DH being really pretty bad. It's even worse for disc priests because (a) we don't have Sanctuary (b) DH benefits far less from disc mastery than from holy mastery. Frankly you should be using it when (1) raid damage is moderate (not heavy) (2) you're preparing for big incoming damage so topping off the raid and saving mana are important. When you do this you also gain the 10% healing buff for 8 seconds after the phase push. PoH spam has higher output than DH, especially when you line up the healing bonus like this. Barrier after the DH bonus wears off.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-08-31 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuk View Post
    tx Madam. what is Isp btw?

~Nuk
    Inspiration Rank 2 (you have 2/2)
    Reduces your target's physical damage taken by 10% for 15 sec after getting a critical effect from your Flash Heal, Heal, Greater Heal, Binding Heal, Penance, Prayer of Mending, Prayer of Healing, or Circle of Healing spell.

Something is goofy with your armory ATM, shows you in T11 chest, but have T12 showing in stats *shrug* anyway....

Just noticed your chest gems, gems can be a challenge, yes, Int is our #1 stat, but secondary stats are really good as well. With your armory being buggy not sure this is correct, but want to point out +20 int socket bonus being over looked, yet you are matching +mastery?

A nice rule to follow: If stacking for pure Int and socket bonus is +20/30 Int, match socket with +20 Int/+20 [other stat], anything lower (like your pants are fine) gem pure Int.