regarding motherboards' RAM speed/voltage requirements

Hello, first time posting to this section of MMO-C, hoping to get a relatively straightforward answer to my question.... the threads I've seen here look relatively promising in that regard.

I'm hoping to build myself a new PC within the next month with a budget of about 700 bucks out of pieces that I've been finding here and there. When a week or so ago the "Build of the Month" article got posted, I saw a really nice RAM kit recommended on the top teir: the GSkill DDR3 2x4GB set. I managed to find it for about 55 bucks on Newegg, which really fits in great with my budget expectations. (Here's the link to it)

However, this is the motherboard that I've been looking at: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...specifications

The memory's speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). The motherboard's memory standard is DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066

My question is this, essentially: is the memory compatible with that motherboard?

I ask this because I think at some point I heard/read somewhere that essentially, this Motherboard's high voltage standard is such that to allow for overlocking of RAM (such as, OCing 1600MHz memory to 1800 or even 2000MHz). So that as long as it's DDR3, 240-pin and does not exceed 2000MHz and fits to the dual-channel arrangement, it will work with the Motherboard.

If not, can you please explain to me then why, and possibly how to find compatible motherboards and RAM in the future?
    Last edited by greyghost; 2011-09-01 at 04:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter44
    There is no patch for human stupidity
    Orihank is displeased.

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    However, this is the motherboard that I've been looking at: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...specifications

The memory's speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). The motherboard's memory standard is DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066
    What that means is that the motherboard supports both official DDR3 industry standards of 1066 and 1333MHz speed, and overclocking up to 2000.

None of the DDR3 RAMs that advertise speeds over 1333MHz are actually following the official DDR3 specifications, but Intel's XMP hack. That's why AMD motherboards are sometimes picky with unofficial speed RAMs, and you should google around to see if there's any known issues with that board and the G.Skill kit.

edit:

2000MHz OC cap includes also running 1600/1866/2000MHz DDR3 sticks at their real speed so in theory the RAM you picked should work.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-09-01 at 04:46 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.