High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Help me help our priest

I'm in a guild that didn't even start raiding until the week before 4.2. We've had the gear to start Firelands for a while, but poor attendance is still holding us back. Our usual OT has been unavailable for some time and there's still no ETA on his return so I had to start tanking, which left us one healer short. Our normal healing team is a Resto Druid (me), Resto Shaman, and Holy Paladin. We just got a new priest to keep our Ele Shaman from off-spec healing and he/she/it raided with us for the first time tonight.

We had some good attempts on Beth our first night 8/18 (I forgot to start WoL so only one recorded attempt -_-) but our strategy was wrong. We went back tonight, but the Shaman was running out of mana on almost every attempt without the Paladin there. I was up top. 9/1

Tell me if there is anything fundamentally wrong with the way the Priest is healing. He/She/It's about equally geared to the Paladin. I would have healed the bottom, but I don't think the Priest was comfortable going up.

To start with, how on earth is Renew your priest's top healing spell (just based on the last attempt, but he seems to use it a lot)? Renew is stronger as a Holy spell, not so much Disc. I don't think I've ever healed a fight where Renew was more than 10% of my healing done. Even on the Shannox fight it was 22% of his healing! Renew is really a filler spell, perhaps to help top someone off that has a small deficit in his health and won't be taking any damage soon. It shouldn't be a Disc Priest's main spell. I'm not familiar with any Disc Priest that plays this way. I would guess that he was a former Holy Priest that changed to Disc.

Your Priest's spec:
    For the most part it is alright, but I highly suggest taking 2 points out of Improved Renew, DEFINITELY putting a point into Pain Suppression (no Disc Priest should pass on this).
    Get 1 more point into Divine Fury for 3/3. If anything, start taking away some points from Darkness. Darkness is not vital to take and the points can be used elsewhere if he needs to get some extra points.
    He should spec out of Atonement as well. Atonement is a fine enough spec to run with, but he's not even putting it to use (from the couple logs I skimmed, he never even uses Holy Fire or Smite, making this spec utterly useless). Take 2 points out of Atonement, put 1 into Inner Sanctum, and the other one could go to perhaps Inspiration (which would be most ideal if he's tank healing).
    Change Flash Heal glyph to Prayer of Healing spec if he raid heals, otherwise that should be alright if he's never raid healing. And WHY DOES HE HAVE NO MAJOR GLYPHS O_O He should 100% pick up the Prayer of Mending glyph, and if he DOES use Atonement, Divine Accuracy and Smite glyphs would be great. Otherwise he could put in Desperation (meaning he needs to pick up Pain Supp).

Gems & Enchants:
    Regem pants and feet. Red should always always always be Brilliant Inferno Ruby. Gem feet with the same, since the socket bonus stinks.
    He needs to enchant his cloak, and either work on Therazane rep for the shoulder enchant or at least try and buy the Honor Points one (I think it's like +50 int and +25 resilience).
    I don't have much to say in regards to reforging since he's not really stacking towards Mastery or Haste (though he does seem to have a decent amount of Mastery). I'm personally a Haste stacker for this tier, and find it important to get my heals out faster.

Is mana an issue for this priest? Or can he just not keep his tank alive? If mana is an issue, he might want to consider speccing into Veiled Shadows (reduces 1 minute on his Shadowfiend, needs 2 points). Start initially using mana CDs (Arcane Torrent & Shadowfiend) at around 70-80% mana so you can use it again later in the fight. Does he time his raptures well? Ingela's Rapture is the addon I choose to use to help time my raptures, which is a very simple and lightweight tracker. Does he have Inner Focus macroed to the spells that trigger it (Flash Heal, Binding Heal, Greater Heal, and PoH)? If not, I definitely recommend that he does. That way he'll use it on every CD and it's excellent for helping out with mana problems.

EDIT: My spec recommendations.
    http://wowtal.com/#k=vetxv5-H.b0w.priest.qQEpfu
    There can be some subtle changes, but this in my opinion is a good spec to get through normal Firelands (this is a non Atonement spec). And it's very versatile, where you can switch between tank healing and raid healing with no issues at all.

DOUBLE EDIT: To just sum things up..
    Main Spells:
    - Power Word: Shield
    - Prayer of Mending
    - Penance
    - Greater Heal
    - Prayer of Healing
    Not Used Often / Situational Spells:
    - Flash Heal
    - Binding Heal
    - Heal
    - Renew
    - Holy Nova
    Important CDs:
    - Pain Suppression
    - Power Word: Barrier
    - Divine Hymn
    - Hymn of Hope
    Mana Returns:
    - Shadowfiend
    - Arcane Torrent
    - Hymn of Hope
    Last edited by Ellumina; 2011-09-02 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zexcis View Post
    I'm in a guild that didn't even start raiding until the week before 4.2. We've had the gear to start Firelands for a while, but poor attendance is still holding us back. Our usual OT has been unavailable for some time and there's still no ETA on his return so I had to start tanking, which left us one healer short. Our normal healing team is a Resto Druid (me), Resto Shaman, and Holy Paladin. We just got a new priest to keep our Ele Shaman from off-spec healing and he/she/it raided with us for the first time tonight.

We had some good attempts on Beth our first night 8/18 (I forgot to start WoL so only one recorded attempt -_-) but our strategy was wrong. We went back tonight, but the Shaman was running out of mana on almost every attempt without the Paladin there. I was up top. 9/1

Tell me if there is anything fundamentally wrong with the way the Priest is healing. He/She/It's about equally geared to the Paladin. I would have healed the bottom, but I don't think the Priest was comfortable going up.
    Renew is above penance in healing done thats a little akward to say the least.

Low amount of shielding 13 cast mending seems low

biggest thing is the 83% uptime just not doign much but standing around waiting for damage.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary
    i assume this is your priest (if no, please correct me fast!). im such a stalker, its both exciting and terrifying >.<

1. glyphs
    a) glyph of flash heal - occasionally works, like for baleroc, however for spider boss it should be either glyph of prayer of healing or glyph of barrier (i personaly stand up for poh on normal modes)
    b) 0 (zero) major glyphs - why? glyph of prayer of mending is mandatory for a discipline priest

2. spec
    a) no pain supression - why??
    b) atonement WITHOUT evangelism and archangel (and without 2 smite-related major glyphs) - WHY??
    c) 2/2 in improved renew but only 2/3 in divine fury - why?? (i know, my whys are getting boring) renew is not discipline tool. you can use it as a discipline priest but you dont talent it for the cost of output of your so much more efficient tools.

here are two examples of discipline builds: (to all the whiners, smiting build - those are examples covering mandatory talents with resto shaman in group - so ill skip inspiration. its always discussable, but we talk about certain person with very certain (check points 2 a), b) and c)) build here, so arguing about the inspiration and such seems really not to fit into this thread)
    with atonement: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGorRsbcRMoMhZh
    without atonement: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzrosbfRMoch
    to the op: for the second spec i left 4 points which can be placed as wished in following talents: inspiration, desperate prayer, darkness, veiled shadows.

3. gear
    lacking 2 chants, purple gem in red slot (pants), hurricane weapon chant (that sux) - all those to be sorted, however with lack of glyphs and major drawbacks in talents, i would say that sorting gear has low priority

4. logs. ah finally. as some people already covered logs, ill just go short on that.
    my first impression - very low healing output. very low overhealing. so just not enough good spells used and some bad spells used. doing nothing much it seems.
    shannox:
    a) top spell is renew - lame, its not discipline tool, shouldnt be any close to top 5 places.
    b) only 8 greater heals, only 45 hits (9-11 casts) of prayer of healing, only 27 shields - thats very low for whole boss fight. is she/he/it afraid of healing more? or of overhealing?

spider:
    a) blanketing raid with renew - maybe she/he/it should reroll holy? renew really isnt most efficient discipline tool.
    b) very low poh usage, and seeing that devastation damage occurred and that divine hymn was used, i suspect that there was enough aoe damage to bring poh upto the top of spells list. btw power infusion is a friend of poh spam, make your priest use it on itself when healing becomes a problem.

make your priest: sort talents. sort glyphs. read some guide about which spells to use. spend valors on 2 piece set i guess wouldnt hurt.
    Last edited by babylon; 2011-09-02 at 01:17 PM.

While you didn't specifically ask for it, it seems like your raid is taking a lot of damage from the Spinners. You should make sure that everyone who can taunts them down, since their melee damage even on cloth is very small in case you are not doing it already. Note that some classes have taunts which they don't use often, you might want to remind them of those in case they forgot them.

In addition you should use some cds during smoldering devastation to ease healing, but time them in a way that they'll be usuable again during p2 burn phase.
    From what i see you got the following: Prot pala cd, warrior shout, tranquility from your druid, totem from your resto shammy and maybe Divine Hymn from your Shadow Priest if you want to count that one as noteworthy cooldown.

After looking a bit more at the dps it also looks like low dps (apart from your DK) might be a reason for your healers to run out of mana as well.
    I wouldn't expect an arcane mage to have any significant Blizzard damage on this fight.
    Your Shadow Priest is quite low, especially if he does have dark intent from your warlock, who himself is quite low on dps as well.

Your disc priest seems to be doing it quite wrong.
    As others have mentioned, renew should not make a high amount of healing for disc, it should only be cast on the move and even then it is a rare exception.
    The biggest part of his healing should come from Prayer of Healing during the smoldering devastation, gheal, penance and shield.
    Your priest should read one of the guides here or on elitist jerks or on howtopriest.com, because i get the impression that the very basics are messed up.
    But after looking at the log I think there is some room for improvement not just for your disc priest.