10+ Year Old Account

Similar Porgrams to Fraps?

Evening gents. I am looking for a program similar to Fraps whether payed or free. One problem I have with Fraps is that it hogs up alot of HDD space, although Iv go a dedicated HDD for media (1TB for music, movies, games 600GB free) Id like to keep my footage from games to minimal size.

So those anyone know of a similar program to Fraps which stores the recorded data at a lower space?

Payed or Free, which ever is better.

Deleted
    the fundamental idea behind screen recording software is that they do very little work with the data they record as to minimise the resources they require, i.e it takes less work to save something raw than it takes to save something in a compressed format, kinda like it takes less work to just throw all your stuff in the closet but it's also going to take more space than neatly put together.

all in all the easiest solution would be to convert your saved material to a format that takes less space with software like adobe media encoder or likewise.

Use fraps, compress the files into mp4 after.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    As above posters say, that's how most screen capture programs work. Those who do not usually give crappy quality as they compromise with compression algorithms at the same time.

Give Handbrake a try. Put in your fraps content and make a mp4/mkv with some snappy settings (there's a tooltip for every minor detail on the advanced tab). Gives your CPU a run for its money!

edit: this is my advanced string for youtube (when uploading 1080p 12000kbps): bframes=0:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:trellis=1:me=umh

10+ Year Old Account
    Aight cheers for replies, don't really understand all this compressing business but thanks for clearing it up for me heh Will compress it with Sony Vegas 10 and see if the size will be lowered.