Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

is killing in self defence man slaughter?

what are the laws and circumstances of self defence and man slaughter.

because i have read that in some cases self defence can be treated as man slaughter.

also if someone is dressed as a zombie i mean hollywood makeup really top notch makeup and they come at you and you smash their head open what does that count as?

AND also apparently if you kill in your sleep and your a known sleep walker you can get away with it very easily but you need help from a psych.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the case really, but if it is legit self defense then no it should not in any realm be considered manslaughter.

I don't know about you but in my county it's manslaughter if the self-defense is "exceeded", namely, you kill a man in self-defense, but he would not have killed you had you not defended at all (of course, I suppose a manslaughter charge is still preferable to permanent scarring from being mauled, at least I'd prefer that over being disfigured).

Depends on the case, I guess it it up to Jury/Judge if killing was necessary. Could you have otherwise incapacitated the person without killing them? All situational.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they are trying to flee (and I don't agree with this at all), you are not supposed to shoot them again. That gives you a manslaughter charge...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    It depends on the case really, but if it is legit self defense then no it should not in any realm be considered manslaughter.
    it's that in a nut shell.

brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]

Quote Originally Posted by strombae View Post
    what are the laws and circumstances of self defence and man slaughter.

because i have read that in some cases self defence can be treated as man slaughter.
    That's going to vary by country, and in the US, by state.

also if someone is dressed as a zombie i mean hollywood makeup really top notch makeup and they come at you and you smash their head open what does that count as?

AND also apparently if you kill in your sleep and your a known sleep walker you can get away with it very easily but you need help from a psych.
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to get away with the "I thought he was a zombie" defense.

In my state of Kentucky, you are legally allowed to shoot to kill any unauthorized figure who enters your home, with the boundary starting wherever your roof begins. You are allowed to shoot the individual from the front, but not in the back. He does not even have to be carrying a weapon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    If they are trying to flee (and I don't agree with this at all), you are not supposed to shoot them again. That gives you a manslaughter charge...
    If they are trying to flee, it cannot possible be justified as self defense.

In my mind self-defense and manslaughter are two unrelated things, it cannot be both. If someone has a scenario I'd very much like to hear one.

Deleted
    oh this is an interesting story too there was a man who broke into someones house and he climbed up the stairs and fell down them after tripping on a bit of carpet that wasnt nailed down and he sued the homeowner and won! how shocking is that

oh this is an interesting story too there was a man who broke into someones house and he climbed up the stairs and fell down them after tripping on a bit of carpet that wasnt nailed down and he sued the homeowner and won! how shocking is that
    Sounds like a chain-letter to me.

Deleted
    it was a long time ago like 6 years maybe more i remeber learning about it in high school im in 2nd year uni now :P so may need sitation

Quote Originally Posted by Pert View Post
    That's going to vary by country, and in the US, by state.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to get away with the "I thought he was a zombie" defense.
    You'd be suprised of what people have gotten away with... :P

One thing i dont understand though, isnt homicide latin for man killing/slaughter - since killing in self defense is still homicide

I would think not but depends on the circumstances.

it's manslaughter if self-defense no longer applies. i.e. if you're not in life-threatening danger anymore. So basically when he is running away, when you've already knocked him unconscious, when he surrenders or when he tosses his weapon. that kind of thing. Specific laws may very state to state or country to country, but the gist of it is self-defense only counts when you are actually being threatened.

pro tip; if you shoot someone in self defense, make sure you empty the clip/mag. it shows that you are scared and were unprepared for the encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

If you get attacked by someone & that person ends up dead by your hands then you shouldn't even spend a day in court. The attacker should be responsible for anything that happens to him but unfortunately we live in a world where good guys finish last.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcaptn View Post
    If you get attacked by someone & that person ends up dead by your hands then you shouldn't even spend a day in court. The attacker should be responsible for anything that happens to him but unfortunately we live in a world where good guys finish last.
    my thoughts exactly if some came at me with intent to just harm i should be able to put them down but then again fights on nights out would get interesting. but then it would be man slaughter because you would be pissed

as long as your can provide reasonable doubt. that in that moment in time you felt you life to be in immediately threat and thank things should be "ok" within reason. with that being said you can't just go around town starting fight and then kill someone. because you were the cause of the issues that led to that.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    it's manslaughter if self-defense no longer applies. i.e. if you're not in life-threatening danger anymore. So basically when he is running away, when you've already knocked him unconscious, when he surrenders or when he tosses his weapon. that kind of thing. Specific laws may very state to state or country to country, but the gist of it is self-defense only counts when you are actually being threatened.
    Hmmm, I think I'll sign myself under this one, really, as well.