Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Terrified Holy Priest

My holy priest is stuck at level 83, because I'm scared to try healing beyond The Throne of the Tides. Of course every time I've been fearful of healing at a greater level, I've mustered up the courage and managed to do fine as long as the tank doesn't take off without me. Most of the time I'm not even given enough time to loot and the entire party has moved on and begun the next fight.

I've decided reading as much as I can is the best option so I am informed of how things should be. I searched in Google and was directed here to this thread by Shadanzi and noticed reference to switching Chakra states. How do I switch Chakra states? I activate it at the start of any dungeon run and leave it going. In the post I reference, Shadanzi states: If you know the boss fight, chances are you know if you need to be in Chakra: Serenity or Chakra:Sanctuary. How do I pick the right one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Offeiriad View Post
    My holy priest is stuck at level 83, because I'm scared to try healing beyond The Throne of the Tides. Of course every time I've been fearful of healing at a greater level, I've mustered up the courage and managed to do fine as long as the tank doesn't take off without me. Most of the time I'm not even given enough time to loot and the entire party has moved on and begun the next fight.

I've decided reading as much as I can is the best option so I am informed of how things should be. I searched in Google and was directed here to this thread by Shadanzi and noticed reference to switching Chakra states. How do I switch Chakra states? I activate it at the start of any dungeon run and leave it going. In the post I reference, Shadanzi states: If you know the boss fight, chances are you know if you need to be in Chakra: Serenity or Chakra:Sanctuary. How do I pick the right one?
    I haven't played w/ Holy too much, but the way to not get left behind if you need to loot/get mana is to taper off your heals toward the end of a pull so that they need to be topped off before they can pull again.

Just drink between pulls like the rest of us did when leveling to 85 in dungeons. If you get a tank stupid enough to not notice that this is going on, let him die. They learn fafairly quickly.

Chakra state is activated by the ability "Chakra" followed by one of the specified heals. The states are basically there to make you more adept at healing groups or just healing the tank. Serenity gives more crit to single-target heals and makes direct heals refresh renew. This is the tank-healing state. Sanctuary on the other hand gives a power boost to AoE heals and reduces the cooldown of circle of healing, so its your group healing state.

The biggest key to finding the right state is just knowing where the damage is going to be. Don't worry too much in 5-mans, because you can still group heal in serenity or tank heal with sanctuary, it just won't be optimal. In raids, you'll have to be more attentive to what is needed and your healing assignment. Keep in mind, you can switch states even within fights on a 30 second cooldown, so don't worry too much if you start in the wrong one.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope you're not trolling, because I'm going to take this seriously. Read the text tooltip for the talent "Chakra" and it will explain which spells, when cast immediately following Chakra, will place you in which relevant state. To switch between them, activate Chakra again and reselect. There are three. Serenity is (broadly) for tank healing, Sanctuary is (broadly) for AoE healing and Chastise increases your damage done. It is perfectly possible to heal through a brief burst of AoE damage in Serenity mode, for example, and it is up to you and your judgement when it is appropriate to switch.

Deleted
    I'm fairly sure you can figure out Chakra, by reading the talents you put points into..
    I wouldn't use random guides on google tho, as they're often outdated, wrong. Elitistjerks should offer all the knowledge you need.

How comes you need so long for looting? It's usually just 2-3 clicks without thinking too much about it

How do I switch Chakra states? I activate it at the start of any dungeon run and leave it going. In the post I reference, Shadanzi states: If you know the boss fight, chances are you know if you need to be in Chakra: Serenity or Chakra:Sanctuary. How do I pick the right one?
    To switch Chakra states you need to click your chakra spell so it turns off, turn it back on and cast the type of spell you want for your next state, A solid heal or a HOT or a group heal.

I prefer to heal with just my solid heal version of chakra, I find it to be the most useful state for healing heroics. I am sure I would change that up if I was assigned group healing in a raid setup, but I don't raid.
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

To clarify:

Heal/FL/GH/Binding will put you into Serenity if cast immediately after using "Chakra"
    PoH/PoM will move you to Sanctuary
    Smite/Mind Spike activate chastise, but you won't likely ever use this as a healer. Its mostly there for pvp/soloing.

Dont worry baout healing, holy is fine. I have played holy since vanilla, and when I started leveling my priest in cata, it was a nice change. It is not as easy as in Wotlk, but it aint unfair. Just dont cheat the lfg system with gear in your bag, and you will be fine.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account

Chakra changes your Holy Word: Chastise to a different spell:

- Serenity: hands-down the most mana efficient heal. Does 10k at 85 for 1k mana, 10 second cooldown when talented, plus increases crit chance of heals by 25% for 5 seconds
    - Sanctuary: Creates a not-so-amazing AoE on the ground for 9k mana, and reduces the cooldown of Circle of Healing by 2 seconds.

The Chakra state can be reset every 30 seconds by using the spell Chakra and then casting a spell from each family, more or less. Casting a direct heal will start Serenity, while casting an AoE heal or any heal that heals more than one person (Prayer of Mending, Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing, Blinding Heal) will start up Sanctuary.

Generally you'll be running in Serenity. Most groups will not take a lot of dps damage, and what damage they take can be easily fixed with an occasional CoH and PoH, with Serenity used on the tank when they're at 50% or lower, followed up with a heal or greater heal, depending on how much is left to heal. Also, you can flash heal twice on a tank low on health to proc Serendipity for a reduced cast time/mana cost of PoH if the group is taking heavy AoE damage. That's pretty much the method I take to even AoE fights.

You'll want to use Sanctuary on stationary AoE fights or fights with a lot of unavoidable damage. Think the guardian in Halls of Origination, Rajh, and High Prophet Barim.

Don't be scared to heal as a holy priest. You've got strong heals, very strong AoE heals, great mana regen, some nice cooldowns, and even a death-defying spell called Guardian Spirit. If you find yourself unable to keep up with damage, communicate that the group should use CC to keep damage down.

Practice Practice Practice....

I can't stress that enough. As you play more and more you will learn that mostly all fights have a rhythmic beat of incoming damage. Once you heal a fight enough you will remember when to switch chakra's and when to pop cooldowns. With that said. It all in feel some fights its best to start off in one chakra and then switch to another.

Examples: (keep in mind this varies with groups. I'm just going from what I remember)

Going with Throne of the Tides Bosses since you know them

Lady Naz'jar: I start off in Chakra: Serenity. If you start taking a lot of party wide damage in the add phase due to retarded pug's then you can switch to Chakra: Sanctuary until you stabilize the party
    Commander Ulthok: Again I start off in Serenity because this fight will have you moving with the tank. If the party is fail and stands in the voids switch to sanc
    Erunak Stonespeaker: I think I used to staying serenity the whole fight for this one.
    Ozumat: I stayed in serenity for this one until the burn phase then I would switch to sanc.

The point is run dungeons until get a feel for the fight. Once the party starts taken a lot of damage switch until they are at comfortable health lvls. Holy is a very fun class to play.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your responses. I have been leveling a rogue alongside my priest and decided to do all of the other dungeons on my rogue to see what the others are like so I don't enter them on my priest blindly. One thing I did notice when I did The Stonecore tonight the priest healing put the three dps on levetate after Corborus. I assume that was so that we'd take less damage from the giants' stomp. I also think I need to change my macro for the lightwell from a /say to /yell because I have a hard time getting them to use it. I will definitely keep practicing. I have certainly enjoyed playing a priest. I have dual specced to shadow for questing and holy for heals. I've never been kicked from a random group for sucking at heals, so I guess that's saying something.

Thanks again for your input.

Aww lol. I kind of want to give you a big hug or something. It sounds like you have a good/methodical approach to things. Just keep doing what you're doing. Playing alts and noticing how other (perhaps more experienced) priests play the healing role in actual instanced environments is a really good idea, too. Don't let other people put you off. Don't be afraid to try out new things. I don't really have any particularly specific advice, just wanted to reassure you that you seem to have the right attitude, just keep playing this toon and it will start to come together more naturally.

I want to provide a good constructive reply that will actually help you more, but all I can say is you just need to do it! If you fail the first time or second time you probably wont fail the 3rd of 4th, so do not be afraid of trying things. Also asking other priests for help is indeed a good idea to maximize your healing performance.

You can heal everything in 346 5 mans and lower in Chakra Serenity, including AE bursts. If your gear is *really* low, and your group is *really* slow DPS, you might need Sanctuary for healing up on the third boss in BRC heroic. But that's doubtful. And for normal modes, Serenity for everything is perfectly fine. Save Sanctuary for when you are raiding. You don't need to change your spell priority, it is ok to cast POH and COH in Serenity.

Just queue up, have some chocolate against the nerves, and just heal. I played on my friend's holy priest and though I understood jack all of what I was doing, I managed to heal the heroic just fine with no deaths that I can blame myself for anyway, so if I can, you certainly can with all that research! Go in there and do it!

Alternatively, if you'd feel safer, we can exchange realIDs if you're Alliance and we can use that crossrealm whatever feature, we can queue with some friends here, we'll be 85 too and geared, to let you get the feel of it, that'd be NP at all. Drop me a message if you want to, or maybe someone else can do this? Can get on TS too or whatever to make you feel comfortable. A friend of mine plays priest (as I mentioned), he can give you a hand too there. We're all very nice, so there'll be no pressure! (Edit: Of course I'd have to actually discuss this with said friends, heh, but yeah)
    Last edited by Cirque; 2011-09-07 at 03:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Just queue up, have some chocolate against the nerves, and just heal. I played on my friend's holy priest and though I understood jack all of what I was doing, I managed to heal the heroic just fine with no deaths that I can blame myself for anyway, so if I can, you certainly can with all that research! Go in there and do it!

Alternatively, if you'd feel safer, we can exchange realIDs if you're Alliance and we can use that crossrealm whatever feature, we can queue with some friends here, we'll be 85 too and geared, to let you get the feel of it, that'd be NP at all. Drop me a message if you want to, or maybe someone else can do this? Can get on TS too or whatever to make you feel comfortable. A friend of mine plays priest (as I mentioned), he can give you a hand too there. We're all very nice, so there'll be no pressure! (Edit: Of course I'd have to actually discuss this with said friends, heh, but yeah)
    Same here. I'm a 378 DK tank, and I'm very willing to help you through instances and healing (I also have a holy priest). You can PM me if you wish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be afraid to enter dungeons. It's good to see the fights in advance on your rogue, but not necessary, although you might enjoy the extra security.
    At your level I wouldn't worry too much about switching Chakra states for anything other than experimenting. Chakra: Serenity should be good for all five man content.
    When you hit level 84 you might notice a sudden leap in difficulty, especially in terms of mana. But don't be discouraged, this is for most people more fun than everything before that.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like your idea of fortifying myself with chocolate first, Cirque. LOL Your offers of realtime help are most welcome.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, no need to be afraid just jump in with both feet and do it. No floaties necessary.

Yes you're going to run out of mana sometimes, and yes people will die sometimes, but that's the only way you learn. Wouldn't worry too much about swapping chakra states, although its better to learn though messing with them. I think you'll find that the majority of 5-mans can and will be done while you're in Serenity.

If things go too fast for you, then you can ask the tank to slow down a little. If you don't want to broadcast that to the party, then you can send him a whisper telling him that.