Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I'd like to increase my FPS

Hey, I recently bought a mediocre PC to play WoW with and just updated the PSU and Graphics card in it. It works a treat on 10 mans and just anywhere in general apart from in 25 man raids of any kind.

My PC specs are as follows:

What advice would you give me to upgrade next to improve in game FPS? Oh, and please not i haven't OC'd anything.

All help is appreciated

I'm not terribly great at hardware stuff but from the looks of your setup and comparing it to my old setup I think a new processor maybe in order. Like an i5 2500k or something. Because I think processing is pretty intensive in wow so having to process 25 players and everything might be straining your processor. I'm just guessing though
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Sorry to say it but you have 3 year old processor, and raiding 25-mans in WoW is not compatible with cheap-ass supermarket computers.

Overclocking is best budget solution but your OC options are probably severely limited. Nothing short of motherboard+cpu+ram upgrade for about $300-400 will give you significant speed boost in 25-man raids.

If neither of those solutions above will work for you, only thing you can do is put settings lower until the game runs at playable speed, starting from shadow quality.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If neither of those solutions above will work for you, only thing you can do is put settings lower until the game runs at playable speed, starting from shadow quality.
    This a lot. Shadow quality is an absolute killer in wow. If you do have shadow quality up try bringing it down some and you should see great improvements
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Deleted
    Its strange to think you cant handle WoW at a "high" fps with that setup.....

I used to have a intel core I7 920 bloomfield, wich isnt that much better than yours edit: looked up the specs of both processors, and it looks like it IS much better :P ah well, if ur realy unhappy with the current specs of your pc, try to upgrade your processor + motherboard ( I5 or I7 ).

+ a GTX 275, wich is about the same ( a tiny bit worse ) than your video card, and i can play everything on ultra.

Id suggest putting shadows on low, imo shadows dont rly improve the game.

If you want to spend money, then go for a Intel Core I5 processor + matching Mother board. ( p8p67 rev 3.0 )

If u have 4 slots of ram, try to put another 2 + 2 ram in, or replace 1 with 4Gb so u get to 6Gb ram. Your pc will run a lot smoother.
    Last edited by mmocb41f24af64; 2011-09-07 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandnick View Post
    Its strange to think you cant handle WoW at a "high" fps with that setup.....I used to have a intel core I7 920 bloomfield, wich isnt that much better than yours. + a GTX 275, wich is about the same ( a tiny bit worse ) than your video card, and i can play everything on ultra.

Id suggest putting shadows on low, imo shadows dont rly improve the game.

If you want to spend money, then go for a Intel Core I5 processor + matching Mother board. ( p8p67 rev 3.0 )

If u have 4 slots of ram, try to put another 2 + 2 ram in, or replace 1 with 4Gb so u get to 6Gb ram. Your pc will run a lot smoother.
    Ok, ill take a look ina sec to see what room i've got for expansion as i cant remember and i do have shadows on low. In 25 man raids i have everything low except particle density and projected textures and still get less than 20 fps.

OC that cpu, I have a Q9400 c2q running at 3.3ghz with stock cooler, And I'm getting 25~ish fps in 25mans with Fair shadows and rest on ultra, I have a gts 450 so your GPU is better in that regards aswell.

You need to upgrade your platform (motherboard, cpu, ram) to see real performance gains. Your graphics card and the amount of RAM you have is more than enough for WoW. The bottleneck is your CPU. Most modern games (Blizzard titles included) require at least 3ghz (you're at 2.5ghz right now).

10+ Year Old Account
    An additional option is to disable all sound if you dont already run it like that. Shadows and sound have always been the two best software ways to increase FPS in raids.

Like others have mentioned, your CPU is currently your biggest bottleneck.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH, you wont see much improvements with better hardware than you currently have.

Try lowering:
    shadows to high,
    Texture filtering to 2x
    DX11
    Tripple buffering on
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloodanis View Post
    Damn casuals and their vending machines. Back in my day, We had to go all the way from Orgrimmar to Desolace to pick up chips from the store. we had to do an extensive attunement quest to get into the store and we had to assemble 39 other people to fight the many other trash mobs, i mean trash food, to get to the chip isle. Oh and most of us couldn't even afford our epic car mount to drive there, we had to settle for our 60% bike mounts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samskeyti View Post
    You need to upgrade your platform (motherboard, cpu, ram) to see real performance gains. Your graphics card and the amount of RAM you have is more than enough for WoW. The bottleneck is your CPU. Most modern games (Blizzard titles included) require at least 3ghz (you're at 2.5ghz right now).
    This has nothing to do with GHz really, it's about the architecture of his CPU, which is dated compared to recent i-series.

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    OC that cpu, I have a Q9400 c2q running at 3.3ghz with stock cooler, And I'm getting 25~ish fps in 25mans with Fair shadows and rest on ultra, I have a gts 450 so your GPU is better in that regards aswell.
    Framerate on 1280x1024 monitor is about double compared to OP's 1920x1080 so your experiences does not really apply here.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Framerate on 1280x1024 monitor is about double compared to OP's 1920x1080 so your experiences does not really apply here.
    What? Where do I say I have a 1280x1024 monitor?
    I have an 1650x1080 22" monitor

Deleted
    As others have said before, its best to just upgrade your CPU ( too bad u will need another mobo.. )

Cheapest and most viable will probably be:

Intel Core I5K / or normal if u want to save the 5 pounds :P
    3,3 Ghz, 6MB cache
    1155 socket
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandyb...5393259&sr=8-1

P8P67 ( rev 3.0 )
    1155 socket
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-1155-P8...5393441&sr=8-1

++ = 260 pounds :/

4Gbs RAM should be enough, altho RAM is very cheap these days, but u can upgrade that later any time

Deleted
    Still 270 pixels less than OP.

1) You have significantly better CPU (Q9400 vs Q8300) and
    2) OP's monitor has 20% more pixels therefore he has 20% lower framerate and
    3) Framerate in 25-man raids depends mostly on CPU, not graphics card anyway...

1+2+3 means 25-man raids can easily run at double speed on your computer compared to OP's, therefore comparing your computer to OPs is way off.
    Trolling should be.

Thing is, I'm not comparing it :s ... OCing this cpu takes nothing but setting the bus speed to whatever suits him and still be stable.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people keep insisting on upgrading RAM ? - There is still NO GAME WHAT SO EVER today atleast that needs more than 2GB (If even that much). 4GB is way more than enough for WoW and system to run.

However as it is stated a faster CPU will be good for you. The way WoW is created it's very CPU intensive and even though you will get a significant upgrade from a GPU you'll also get alot from a CPU.

OCing this cpu takes nothing but setting the bus speed to whatever suits him and still be stable.
    Probably not possible on big brand OEM computer since the motherboard is most likely locked down, but it might be an option.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandilf View Post
    Why do people keep insisting on upgrading RAM ? - There is still NO GAME WHAT SO EVER today atleast that needs more than 2GB (If even that much). 4GB is way more than enough for WoW and system to run.

However as it is stated a faster CPU will be good for you. The way WoW is created it's very CPU intensive and even though you will get a significant upgrade from a GPU you'll also get alot from a CPU.
    No game that needs more than 2GB? Strange..