Deleted

where can i find "out of the box" desktop background setups?

In the "share your desktop" thread, there have been a number of backgrounds that are "out of the box", meaning they're not simply a background image found in baker's dozens. i've seen one, for example, that looked like some weird grey screen with a lot of symbols and drawings, but where every symbol and drawing involved a different application. is there a place where you can find background setups like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably was the rainmeter program.

http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/
    and then you can google rainmeter skins, or deviantart has most of the skins

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Aye Rainmeter be what you want. Can be difficult for a first time user but do a lot of reading prior to deploying.

10+ Year Old Account
    if rainmeter is a bit too much for you you can try out windowblinds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely Rainmeter. Takes a lot of getting used to, but its how I made this:

Deleted
    seems like i will need to check that out once.

if at all possible, i would like to make an interactive background, something like a corridor with several doors on each side, and each door leads to a different room with a set of monitors, each monitor representing a certain ... something. i'm thinking about a monitor that shows me which webcomics have been updated (based on the day of the week), some bookmarks and google in one room; several game trailers in a different room; system settings in another room; and something like a cinema in yet another room. is this AT ALL possible using rainmeter, or do i need to develop my own program for this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    seems like i will need to check that out once.

if at all possible, i would like to make an interactive background, something like a corridor with several doors on each side, and each door leads to a different room with a set of monitors, each monitor representing a certain ... something. i'm thinking about a monitor that shows me which webcomics have been updated (based on the day of the week), some bookmarks and google in one room; several game trailers in a different room; system settings in another room; and something like a cinema in yet another room. is this AT ALL possible using rainmeter, or do i need to develop my own program for this?
    Dude you have way too much time on your hands. How did you even come up with that?
    Rainmeter will probably not be able to do it, and if it is, it'll be inefficient as hell.
    If you know enough about programming you can give it a shot, but from what you're saying there I'm not too optimistic.

Rainmeter is just an overlay program. It doesn't offer an interactive environment such as the one you describe. Do a few Google searches, starting with "interactive desktop" or the like. There have been some examples of such programs, but they've always either been too simple, too ugly, too cumbersome or too convoluted. And they get annoying very, very fast.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I vaguely remember seeing a video of someone who had developed a virtual desktop. He basically had it set up like a 3D control panel where he could look around, press any buttons and so on - everything was interactive.

To create something like that is not a small project though, not to mention that it needs to be integrated with windows and will most likely take a chunk of resources.

Anyway, as far as "virtual desktops" go, there are other alternatives. I remember trying out BumpTop but it seems to be discontinued (http://bumptop.com/). Then there is also Real Desktop (http://real-desktop.en.softonic.com/). There's also the "3D cube" that was very popular with Vista and Ubuntu (http://cubedesktop.en.softonic.com/). Hope that can be of any help to you.

Happy customizing!

Deleted
    quick update: now that windows 8 has been announced, i'm thinking that might be something close to what i would like.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If that is the case you can download and install the Windows 8 developer preview which will give you access to install and run Windows 8.

Deleted
    i see... unfortunately, i have no idea on how i would make it work. if i would, it would probably be a dualboot system. is there a guide somewhere on how to dualboot Windows 7 and 8 on the same machine?